What If Scenario 1: Hooper walks and Atlanta sign Eric Ebron

Geneaut

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’ll pay the extra 3 mill for Hooper.  He is younger, more talented, has chemistry with Ryan and has earned his contract

I think the preferred outcome would be to retain Hoop. It's more of a cap consideration at this point, and the potential some team could just offer Hoop crazy money. Including the Colt's who are letting Ebron walk and who have oodles of cap.

7 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’ll pay the extra 3 mill for Hooper.  He is younger, more talented, has chemistry with Ryan and has earned his contract

This is where I am too.  If there is an obvious upgrade out there we can tap for the same money, that's one thing.  But if something is working -- and Ryan > Hooper is one of the few things on this team that is working -- then you stick with it absent a clear plan to do better.

The only way we do this is in some moneyball scenario, and honestly, I don't think moneyball works nearly as well in the NFL as in MLB.

I’d rather keep Hooper. Ebron is gonna end up getting paid because of his name. 

Also something to watch in the next few years, TE’s are going to become a bigger luxury than overpriced WR’s thanks to guys like Kittle and Ertz. I think it’s best to go ahead and lock someone in now while it’s still affordable because it’s going to get ridiculous soon

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

We saw with this offense looks like without Hooper for three games this year… It wasn’t pretty.

Having Julio and Ridley opens up a lot of one on ones with him, not to mention the absence of Sanu. His game had taken leaps the past two years. He’s the TG replacement we’ve prayed for. 

The Colts looking to improve at QB as well. I thought they just paid Brissett. 

21 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I thought the Ryan/Jarrett cap moves were a signal of an imminent Hooper signing, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Watch they mess around and pay Campbell with that. It’s always the guys who have strong back ends of the season that get paid

I’m of the opinion:

if you let Hooper walk, it’s a shift to drafting a TE fairly high and “possibly” even keeping Freeman/current RB group.

And, if you let Hoop walk, you probably; almost certainly(?), are planning to let Vic and Vondre test UFA for bid wars.

Point blank: let them all walk and sign Clowney to a massive deal instead! Draft LB/TE/etc instead!

^Not advocating that but if we go away from Hoop, it best be a “worth it” gambit for someone on Defense like that...

I know many people; including myself, like Jaeden a lot, but we’d instantly need a 3rd TE talent and can’t bank on Graham holding it down FT even if there would be hope for that to happen.

People already want to run Stocker out of town but dude is old even if he sticks for the 2nd year of his deal.

But you’d be paying more for Clowney than Hoop...I say keep Hooper and draft defense + make decisions on RB and OL plans before UFA opens up...keep a little more flexibility for the future and other roster needs. That’s basically why moving on from Hooper would only be a cap savings move...any comp formula by not making big UFA deals would net you something in 2021 after having to draft TE this year.

Decisions...

32 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

I’m of the opinion:

if you let Hooper walk, it’s a shift to drafting a TE fairly high and “possibly” even keeping Freeman/current RB group.

And, if you let Hoop walk, you probably; almost certainly(?), are planning to let Vic and Vondre test UFA for bid wars.

Point blank: let them all walk and sign Clowney to a massive deal instead! Draft LB/TE/etc instead!

^Not advocating that but if we go away from Hoop, it best be a “worth it” gambit for someone on Defense like that...

I know many people; including myself, like Jaeden a lot, but we’d instantly need a 3rd TE talent and can’t bank on Graham holding it down FT even if there would be hope for that to happen.

People already want to run Stocker out of town but dude is old even if he sticks for the 2nd year of his deal.

But you’d be paying more for Clowney than Hoop...I say keep Hooper and draft defense + make decisions on RB and OL plans before UFA opens up...keep a little more flexibility for the future and other roster needs. That’s basically why moving on from Hooper would only be a cap savings move...any comp formula by not making big UFA deals would net you something in 2021 after having to draft TE this year.

Decisions...

Seattle didn't trade for clowney to let him walk. He will be franchised or transition tagged 1000%