Do you think Raheem Morris is an upgrade from 2017 Marquand Manuel?

I was very impressed with our defense down the stretch under Marquand Manuel in 2017 particularly in the playoffs. (I don't look at his 2018 body of work as much because of injuries) If Raheem Morris can do as well or better than Manuel as our defensive coordinator we can be a super bowl contender next year. I know Manuel's defense probably gave up yards but they held a lot of teams to less than 20 points or less. Every time our offense scored 20+ points we won in 2017. Do you guys think that Raheem Morris will be as good or an upgrade from Marquand Manuel? What do you think Morris' strengths and weaknesses are compared to Marquand Manuel?

Maybe. Everyone thought Manuel was great when he was here. If someone can just be aggressive as a play caller it would do wonders for the defense. We don’t have the skill to rush 4 and sit back. That never works. Is he an upgrade over Dan Quinn? Yes 

HeIl, Morris may as well be head coach. Still not sure what Quinn does. Don’t give me this he “motivates” people. Obviously not. Morris is the one who took over the defense and they played much better. Sounds to me like Morris motivates the players 

10 minutes ago, RYNE said:

Maybe. Everyone thought Manuel was great when he was here. If someone can just be aggressive as a play caller it would do wonders for the defense. We don’t have the skill to rush 4 and sit back. That never works. Is he an upgrade over Dan Quinn? Yes 

HeIl, Morris may as well be head coach. Still not sure what Quinn does. Don’t give me this he “motivates” people. Obviously not. Morris is the one who took over the defense and they played much better. Sounds to me like Morris motivates the players 

Don't know why everyone puppets this. Quinn was still doing gameplans the entire time, the only difference is that he wasn't calling plays. That's practically every defense oriented HC in the NFL.

My concern is in the NFL teams adjust to take away what you do well, and as long as Quinn is still here I have no confidence that this team will be able adjust to other teams adjustments in a timely manner.  We are screwed if things don’t go according to plan early next year like they did this year.

2 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Don't know why everyone puppets this. Quinn was still doing gameplans the entire time, the only difference is that he wasn't calling plays. That's practically every defense oriented HC in the NFL.

So you are saying the game plan in the first 8 games were just as good as the last 8 and only plays calling screwed those games up?  That’s one screw up job plays calling Quinn did there. Anyway, I don’t buy that narrative at all because they were down so early so often in those first 8 games that I can’t see the game plan did not improved in the last 8 games vs the first 8 games.  Keep in mind too that Quinn did not give up plays calling after bye week.  If I remember correctly Quinn said he gave up plays calling like prior to the AZ or something like that.  So it’s not like him just giving up plays calling and focus on other things were why the defense improved drastically.  A lot of other things happened during the bye week that brought on the improvement.

At this point I’m getting desperate. I need rest folks. About ready to jump the fence at the Branch to get a meeting with Blank. I used to kid about it but now I’m confident I could do better. HC, GM or both. Seriously. First year free. Jeez. Rest for the weary please.

I think Raheem Morris is the upgrade. We have a better defense in 17, because we had a little bit better of d line play. Raheem has head coaching experience so he understands the big picture, he turned a hideous defense into something watchable. Give him an entire offseason and I think he can coach up the defense and get them playing Fast and Physical LMAO......I had to on that last part...fast n physical.

I agree with @Francis York Morgan, we gotta stop looking at the titles on Defense when Quinn is still gonna have influence either way...but it boils down to allocation of resources and enough of the right guys in the right spots...leading to the right calls on game day; which is what was said happened when the actual caller changed play to play.

DQ could step back...do less in the play calls themselves, but become more refined in his own work and perhaps invest help elsewhere; maybe focusing on bringing along the DL as Morris gave more attention to the DBs?

But yes what they said was everyone is still on the headset and giving ideas call to call, play to play.

It boils down to year to year being different. Can the current staff set as it is remain effective at getting their unit to play at a high level?

I’ll say I’m perhaps more concerned with our roster shape on Defense now than I am coaches on that side; as of today...

On Offense? I don’t know who can get the run going but we gotta decide on LG, Gono, Mack’s future etc...who knows if they’ll bring back Hoop or what RB1 we’ll have but I believe in our defensive coaches more than Dirk...

46 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

At this point I’m getting desperate. I need rest folks. About ready to jump the fence at the Branch to get a meeting with Blank. I used to kid about it but now I’m confident I could do better. HC, GM or both. Seriously. First year free. Jeez. Rest for the weary please.

You said it man!!  I’m still so angry about LI and then throw last 2 seasons in and I’m just worn out w everything.  I wonder if that might be some of what’s going on w AB (he’s worn out) in addition to the continuity issue. I just wanna see good solid fundamental football and solid team management.....who am I kidding...I wanna see us hoist that Lombardi dammit!!!

The way I see it Quinn is the HC. It’s his job to be the CEO of all phases of the game. Shanny was a great hire. Richard Smith a mistake. MM a mistake. Not promoting a Shanny’s assistant to OC a mistake. Hiring Sark to run Shanny’s playbook a mistake. DQ as HC/DC a mistake. Moving Morris to DC was a quality move but it begs the question why wasn’t it done to begin with. DK seems like a step backwards. 

It does not seem to me like Quinn’s managed his staff well during his time here. Ever since Shanny left Quinn’s hires on the offensive side of the ball have been a bandaid of sorts. On the defensive side Morris who’s been on the staff for years as a WR coach despite his defensive background has been the only good hire and it showed Quinn showing he couldn’t hack it and half a season before making the obvious move. 

15 minutes ago, The Smart One said:

The way I see it Quinn is the HC. It’s his job to be the CEO of all phases of the game. Shanny was a great hire. Richard Smith a mistake. MM a mistake. Not promoting a Shanny’s assistant to OC a mistake. Hiring Sark to run Shanny’s playbook a mistake. DQ as HC/DC a mistake. Moving Morris to DC was a quality move but it begs the question why wasn’t it done to begin with. DK seems like a step backwards. 

It does not seem to me like Quinn’s managed his staff well during his time here. Ever since Shanny left Quinn’s hires on the offensive side of the ball have been a bandaid of sorts. On the defensive side Morris who’s been on the staff for years as a WR coach despite his defensive background has been the only good hire and it showed Quinn showing he couldn’t hack it and half a season before making the obvious move. 

Profound post.

Morris is the llllllllll eeeeee nnnnnnnnn ggggggg tttttttt hhhhhhhh of the street more qualified than Manuel was.

Hes more rounded has HCing experience and has coached both sides of the ball.

Was saying before this hire happened in a lot @FalconsIn2012 threads that he’d be the guy I’d hire because if we didn’t I believed himself and Ulbrich could have been HC/DC hires somewhere else.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Maybe you could help Dirk Koetter with scheming a run game. :)

Just now, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Maybe you could help Dirk Koetter with scheming a run game. :)

No doubt in my mind I could. Dives, traps, draws, counters, off tackles, sweeps, stretches, naked boots, jets, end arounds, you name it. Could definitely help him set up a better play action game, run some RB screens and most importantly teach him not to bail on the run game too soon.

Quinn was hired as the HC not the DC or OC I get wanting to put your stamp on def. But Mike Smith said it best when asked about HC/DC(coord.) that it was tough and he could do it. Find the best OC and DC give them your vision and let them do their job. its what they get payed for and be the best Head Coach possible. (Its what you get payed for)

Edited by me4falcons
3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

DKs not changing what it’s going to take is for his offense to get out in front.Then hopefully Morris can maintain what he’s done off the end of this season to keep us in games.

Dan Quinn specifically said we need to run the ball more effectively (not necessarily more) next year, so I expect that to be addressed in the offseason somehow.