Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carter

January 2020 Recruiting Thread

3 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Are you serious?  Do you think Kirby and Del pass on the best back in this class if there is no evidence of ZE being pure trouble, or a cancer?

So again, you're speculating. Perhaps he's not in the class because he can't get the ACT score needed. Perhaps he doesn't want to come to UGA as much as people think. There are a LOT of possible things that could be factoring into our decision to look elsewhere. Do I agree that it's *probable* that they are concerned about his attitude? Sure... I said as much. But there is a lot of BS being spewed as verifiable fact about things that no one posting has the specifics around.

4 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

So again, you're speculating. Perhaps he's not in the class because he can't get the ACT score needed. Perhaps he doesn't want to come to UGA as much as people think. There are a LOT of possible things that could be factoring into our decision to look elsewhere. Do I agree that it's *probable* that they are concerned about his attitude? Sure... I said as much. But there is a lot of BS being spewed as verifiable fact about things that no one posting has the specifics around.

I will say the reason I believe Evans might heading JUCO is the simple reason schools are bowing out left and right. Right now, UTjr and Ole Mi$$ are the only ones interested publicly. If those were the only teams for me I’d go to prep school let things settle and restart next year but that’s me 

Edited by Bdawg58

1 minute ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.  I think we can all read between the lines on this one.

3 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I will say the reason I believe Evans might heading JUCO is the simple reason schools are bowing out left and right. Right now, UTjr and Ole Mi$$ are the only ones interested publicly. If those were the only teams for me I’d go to prep school let things settle and restart next year but that’s me 

Juco would be a wise choice.  He would be able to pick whatever school he wanted, if he could keep his nose clean for a bit.

Daijun Edwards. 4 star RB from Moultrie, GA and Colquitt County. That's exactly who the dawgs desperately needed badly. A new fresh running back out of our HOME state. He will fit in very well. I wouldn't be surprised if he started over Zamir White next season. I was worried who was going to carry the load after Swift left. Now I'm not saying it's 100% certain that Daijun Edwards will be the 1st string back coming in, but no matter what, UGA has good RB depth now coming into next season. 

3 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Daijun Edwards. 4 star RB from Moultrie, GA and Colquitt County. That's exactly who the dawgs desperately needed badly. A new fresh running back out of our HOME state. He will fit in very well. I wouldn't be surprised if he started over Zamir White next season. I was worried who was going to carry the load after Swift left. Now I'm not saying it's 100% certain that Daijun Edwards will be the 1st string back coming in, but no matter what, UGA has good RB depth now coming into next season. 

I have zero expectation of any freshman RB being a starter next season outside of injury; can't really see where that would even come from

I think Zeus is going to remind folks who he is next season. We’ve seen that it’s very common for a guy with a knee injury to get back “right” that 2nd year after surgery. Zeus had some of the best HS film I can remember for a power RB. Just an elite dude. He will get back closer to that imo than we saw from his limited snaps in 2019.

Cook should benefit a lot from scheme change and Swift/Herrien moving on.

Can’t wait to see how even the vanilla offense looks at G Day. 

13 minutes ago, Carter said:

Any of y’all old enough to remember Bruce Thornton? His son just got his first offer (2023 class). From UGA. Well he has two sons with UGA offers, the other is in basketball though.

Now I'm old. My suitemate from my first year of college was classmates with Bruce at Columbus High.

Chad Simmons thoughts on Daijun Edwards as a player...

Also if you guys watched the Chad Simmons interview I posted earlier after the commitment, Edwards mentioned that UGA has consistently recruited him since his freshman year. I know some folks are stinging from wanting to see Evans get in this class but the coaches love Edwards. There are things going on with Evans that just aren’t going to be public knowledge. He’s a **** of a talent so I get it. Feel like we got us a good one with Edwards though.

I have been covering Daijun Edwards since his sophomore year. Rush Propst raved about this young man to me for over an hour one time after a spring practice in 2018 from the bed of his pick-up truck for over an hour.

Edwards is good.

MY THOUGHTS

• He is a three-down back
  • Runs with lower center of gravity/balance
  • Strong lower body
  • Very good ball skills
  • Can accelerate quickly
  • Not elite top-end speed
  • Very good vision
  • A patient runner
  • More shifty than some think
  • A good blocker

Overall, Edwards is not a flashy back that makes a lot of 'wow me' type plays, but he is very consistent, he is sneaky quick and he can stay on the field. He will move into Athens being able and willing to block in the backfield, with the ability to receive the ball out of the backfield and with a very unselfish mentality. He is south Georgia tough, he doesn't cause trouble and he works very hard on the field. 

I know I brought his name up as a real possibility in this class a couple of days after the Notre Dame game. He quietly visited Athens that weekend. He told McGee and Kirby on that visit that he wanted to be a Bulldog. They continued to recruit Edwards, Evans and other backs, basically telling Edwards what he needed to do to be part of this class. He still has a little work to do academically, but UGA taking him, and from what I have been told, all signs are he is expected to be good to go come June. I really like this take by UGA.

9 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

I have zero expectation of any freshman RB being a starter next season outside of injury; can't really see where that would even come from

I remember in 2012 when Keith Marshall came out of HS as the 5 star and Gurley came out of HS as the 4 star, Gurley ended up being the way better player straight from his freshman year. Chubb was a 5 star I believe but I don't think anyone expected him to be "that good" straight from his freshman year, so you never know. Daijun Edwards is a home grown guy from South Georgia too, and as @Carter quoted from the Chad Simmons interview, UGA has been trying to recruit him since he was a freshman in HS, and he quoted the rest of the good facts about Daijun Edwards. Zach Evans is a beast, no doubt about it, but he's from Texas, and honestly with us having Daijun Edwards now I could care less where Zach Evans go unless it's an arch SEC rival of UGA, but I'd still love to have Zach Evans too. 

Edited by mqg96

10 hours ago, Carter said:

I think Zeus is going to remind folks who he is next season. We’ve seen that it’s very common for a guy with a knee injury to get back “right” that 2nd year after surgery. Zeus had some of the best HS film I can remember for a power RB. Just an elite dude. He will get back closer to that imo than we saw from his limited snaps in 2019.

Cook should benefit a lot from scheme change and Swift/Herrien moving on.

Can’t wait to see how even the vanilla offense looks at G Day. 

Certainly what everyone is hoping for and very good chance it happens with the extra time post ACLs.   No guarantees though.  Right now he just looks like a bull back who can pound it for 5-8yds at a time - not that there’s anything wrong with that.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Certainly what everyone is hoping for and very good chance it happens with the extra time post ACLs.   No guarantees though.  Right now he just looks like a bull back who can pound it for 5-8yds at a time - not that there’s anything wrong with that.

It look like it hurts to tackle him ...every play he looked like he was punishing people even plays that didn’t go anywhere 

9 hours ago, Carter said:

Also if you guys watched the Chad Simmons interview I posted earlier after the commitment, Edwards mentioned that UGA has consistently recruited him since his freshman year. I know some folks are stinging from wanting to see Evans get in this class but the coaches love Edwards. There are things going on with Evans that just aren’t going to be public knowledge. He’s a **** of a talent so I get it. Feel like we got us a good one with Edwards though.

Rush Propst Wikipedia page is a good read.

9 hours ago, Carter said:

It sounds like a good comparison for Edwards would be Joseph Randle who played under Monken at OSU in 2011 and 2012. I watched him a good bit his last year there. He was a skilled runner with speed in the 4.6’s who was very good at catching the ball out of the backfield.  He went on to play for the Dallas Cowboys before legal problems, that began with stealing underwear from Dillard’s and then escalated, caught up with him.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joseph-randle-1.html

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/joseph-randle?id=2540171

1 minute ago, Billy Ocean said:

It sounds like a good comparison for Edwards would be Joseph Randle who played under Monken at OSU in 2011 and 2012. I watched him a good bit his last year there. He was a skilled runner with speed in the 4.6’s who was very good at catching the ball out the backfield.  He went on to play for the Cowboys before legal problems, that began with stealing underwear from Dillard’s and then escalated, caught up with him.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joseph-randle-1.html

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/joseph-randle?id=2540171

I like that comparison a lot actually. Folks from his part of Georgia who have watched him play for a few years now have said he makes plenty of great plays and is faster than 4.8. Rusty and Jake Rowe at 247 have also both said they think he just had a poor run when he posted that time and they think he’s actually in that 4.6 range, which is not elite but plenty fast.

I like Edwards a lot for Monken’s offense. 

27 minutes ago, Carter said:

Amarius Mims will be visiting Auburn this weekend with Broderick Jones. 

Does Auburn even have a new OL coach yet?

We got absolutely nothing to worry about with Jones or Mims.  They are both all Dawg.

1 hour ago, Billy Ocean said:

It sounds like a good comparison for Edwards would be Joseph Randle who played under Monken at OSU in 2011 and 2012. 

Another player Daijun Edwards reminded me of watching his film is Knowshon Moreno.