January 2020 Recruiting Thread

Carter

8 minutes ago, 007dawg said:

Got a bad feeling about Jones.  Haven’t heard anything but just my gut feeling.  You know they want to pay us back for Pickens.  Pickens was committed to them for 2 years before flipping on signing day.  Jones has been committed to us for 2 years also . We will see.

Both Sentell and SoFL have said Jones is all Dawg. Stop stressing over nothing. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Oh snap. 

If Dawgs 2020 class ranked #1 after February 4th signing day, would it be so without Evans counting?   Since it sounds like there will be no confirmation until June?

Also, what signings would put us over the top since BJones and SVPG are already included in the totals?

Whattcha think, Random? Others?

So this is my understanding from that post

If we're talking about pressing charges, really sounds like the kid did indeed "get physical" or more specifically "assaulted" a coach. Whether the coach did anything himself (I have no reason to believe this), it still wouldn't warrant that.

Also makes clear that we backed off the LOI, not because of grades (or at least not entirely) but because we (and apparently this went as high up as Mcgarity) simply didn't feel comfortable accepting his LOI after we heard what he had done. We accepted because he met our requirements that we had outlined for doing so, but then immediately broke them. We investigated what happened, but that required more time than the 2 weeks needed to accept the LOI for us to feel comfortable again taking him.

The kid apologized on national TV, and has been working to get back in our good graces, but continues to court other options because he still doesn't have the OK from our staff.

I have to admit, this one really makes me feel uneasy. Taking a kid who got so physical with a coach that the coach considered pressing charges, makes me seriously worry.

There's been all this talk about getting him away from certain influences, and into a support group that UGA will manage him, and so forth, but

I'll just say again, that, more than wanting him to be successful for UGA (and yes I'm a fan so of course I want that, and I won't apologize for that bias), I hope the kid just gets his life together, because the idea of a kid with that much talent letting it go to waste because he's an idiot (not literally) is really very sad to think about

25 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I have to admit, this one really makes me feel uneasy. Taking a kid who got so physical with a coach that the coach considered pressing charges, makes me seriously worry.

There's been all this talk about getting him away from certain influences, and into a support group that UGA will manage him, and so forth, but

I'll just say again, that, more than wanting him to be successful for UGA (and yes I'm a fan so of course I want that, and I won't apologize for that bias), I hope the kid just gets his life together, because the idea of a kid with that much talent letting it go to waste because he's an idiot (not literally) is really very sad to think about

Yeah I've talked about that a bit on here and caught **** for it on the vent, but it is a serious risk. I just don't understand folks who only look at his talent and say no big deal, if he doesn't change just cut him loose. This isn't a video game with no real consequences for decisions made.

IF that kid doesn't change, there is no telling what kind of damage he can do to the locker room chemistry or who he might hurt when he loses control of himself. Not to mention the negative recruiting it will feed about the culture of the program.

I believe in giving people chances. Evans has had multiple chances. His demeanor on national tv and Deion vouching for him the way he did on national tv are the only thing that softened my position. We have quite a few GREAT kids on this team who can be a good influence on him to at least follow what's expected of him, along with a very structured schedule when school is in session and a lot of support staff who are not limited by NCAA time restrictions like the coaches are. Those opportunities to find trouble will always be there, anywhere. We just have to hope our culture and systems in place mitigate the risks and help him keep improving on and off the field.

It does really stink to see guys with that kind of talent end up flushing it away. Total agreement on that.

Also, if any of you guys have Instagram, Evans put some interesting posts in his IG story. Can't be posted here unless it is screenshotted and I'm not sure if Sac is ok with it being posted here anyway. One of them is a selfie of Evans with his location and it's animated as if he's flipping up his middle finger at the words "Downtown Knoxville".

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Also, if any of you guys have Instagram, Evans put some interesting posts in his IG story. Can't be posted here unless it is screenshotted and I'm not sure if Sac is ok with it being posted here anyway. One of them is a selfie of Evans with his location and it's animated as if he's flipping up his middle finger at the words "Downtown Knoxville".

Is it readable by following a link?

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yeah I've talked about that a bit on here and caught **** for it on the vent, but it is a serious risk. I just don't understand folks who only look at his talent and say no big deal, if he doesn't change just cut him loose. This isn't a video game with no real consequences for decisions made.

IF that kid doesn't change, there is no telling what kind of damage he can do to the locker room chemistry or who he might hurt when he loses control of himself. Not to mention the negative recruiting it will feed about the culture of the program.

I believe in giving people chances. Evans has had multiple chances. His demeanor on national tv and Deion vouching for him the way he did on national tv are the only thing that softened my position. We have quite a few GREAT kids on this team who can be a good influence on him to at least follow what's expected of him, along with a very structured schedule when school is in session and a lot of support staff who are not limited by NCAA time restrictions like the coaches are. Those opportunities to find trouble will always be there, anywhere. We just have to hope our culture and systems in place mitigate the risks and help him keep improving on and off the field.

It does really stink to see guys with that kind of talent end up flushing it away. Total agreement on that.

I try really hard to not point fingers and look at all possible reasons when I have little information. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume the best of them, but more info comes out, and just makes things sound worse.

As you said, the interview with Deion combined with the supposed defense from current signees, really suggests to be that he's really not a bad kid. He's a good kid, who's never been told no and made to keep in line, and who demands, and even fights for what he believes he deserves and has earned if it's denied by people who he doesn't respect. Whatever the reason, it doesn't sound like he ever had that relationship with his HS coaches, but apparently he does with ours. Sometimes it's not simply a matter of telling a kid what to do; sometimes you have to connect with a kid first. Again, maybe his HS coaches have tried to, but for various reasons have been unable, who knows. I just hope that our coaches are able to keep/build that relationship that helps lead him down the right path, and the path toward growth as both a person and a player, and it sounds like that's what his mother wants as well.

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

https://www.instagram.com/zach3evans/

Edit: looks like he deleted it... was up for a while though

Again, you wonder if these other schools are really steering clear because they're uncomfortable with his character, or more like others have suggested, because they can see the kid has no real interest in them. (I mean, the kid could just be being stupid for stupid kid's sake, but if he really doesn't want to be there...and if he really wants to be at UGA...certainly something you'd expect of a UGA fan)

Tennessee and Mississippi are both schools that I would definitely say wouldn't care all that much about his indiscretions. They'd take the talent and worry about the rest later. ****, Pruitt's already done that multiple times already.

Makes me wonder how much this kid is going to Tennessee because he's really interested, or because he's being told to in case UGA doesn't say yes.

20 minutes ago, Carter said:

Found it.

Maybe NSFW? It's a dude throwing up a middle finger. The board is giving me problems embedding the image but the link should bring it up.

Yeah, I inferred that it was an image of him flipping off an actual road sign for the city. i don't know enough about IG to know how locations work/are added, so that could still be correlated, or it could just be him being a dumb***, but you'd still figure the finger was intended for someone? I guess. I'm not really "hip" into whether kids just post images of them giving the finger without an actual intended recipient lol

Gonna say that if Kirby is OK with it, then we should be too. And nothing else really needs to be said about it, but... 

Kirby and the coaches know a whole lot more about what's really been going on instead of just speculating like we have been. If they feel he's worth bringing in, who are we to argue with them from such an uninformed position? 

Maybe it works, maybe it turns out like Cox; it's a roll of the dice on every single kid they bring in to the program. So as long as they've done their homework and feel Evans is worth the roll of the dice, so be it. 

If Kirby and staff feel comfortable with Evans then I’m sure there have been some ground rules set for what they expect from him. I feel like this maybe the best place for him.  I’m sure this whole experience has humbled him tremendously considering how he was probably catered to.

4 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

If Kirby and staff feel comfortable with Evans then I’m sure there have been some ground rules set for what they expect from him. I feel like this maybe the best place for him.  I’m sure this whole experience has humbled him tremendously considering how he was probably catered to.

Obviously they still don’t feel comfortable with him, or this **** show would already be over with and Dell wouldn’t still be recruiting Edwards.  

14 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

I still don’t get the “bad kid” thing ..he’s immature ...this kid no where near bad..if anything he’s annoying ...take him and be done with the ********...miss me with the high moral **** at Georgia...it don’t exist at any college 

If he has this much of a problem with authority and can’t be kept in check by his family, I can only imagine the train wreck that awaits in college.  Love his talent, but most don’t see him making it 3 years at any school.  Not worth the headache.  

7 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

If he has this much of a problem with authority and can’t be kept in check by his family, I can only imagine the train wreck that awaits in college.  Love his talent, but most don’t see him making it 3 years at any school.  Not worth the headache.  

I guarantee it’s more ******** going on at Georgia than a kid disagreeing with some ****** coaches...some coaches that don’t even seem close to being leaders..no one is following that or respecting that. 

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

Obviously they still don’t feel comfortable with him, or this **** show would already be over with and Dell wouldn’t still be recruiting Edwards.  

The key word in my comment was If(which I started the comment of with).  I’m all about giving the Kid a chance for redemption.  There is always two sides to a story.  If the kid happens to come or not I’m all good with it because we are good to go at RB and if we snagged Evans it would be an added luxury!

29 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

I guarantee it’s more ******** going on at Georgia than a kid disagreeing with some ****** coaches...some coaches that don’t even seem close to being leaders..no one is following that or respecting that. 

There is a reason that the #1 rb in the nation is being passed on by a bunch of schools.  Hopefully we pass as well.