Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carter

January 2020 Recruiting Thread

8 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Yeah it's hilarious and maddening all at the same time. These Flerduh fools seriously think they are the favorites to win the East next year: it's like they haven't paid attention to our recruiting and Kirby out coaching them every single season. Or that we are returning likely the top defense in the nation. They actually think that because we sent 4 OLs to the NFL that we aren't still returning the most talented OL in the SEC because our recruiting of that position has been insane. 

And I guess they are seriously going to melt when they see who we hire as our new QB coach and passing game coordinator to assist Coley: because bashing Coley and our "archaic offense" is the main thing they are hanging their hat on.  Just wait until they see what happens next year. The tears are going to be delicious. 

ywAYcz9.gif

So I'll play devil's advocate here a bit. I've said since last off-season, UF's best shot to win in Jax and get some momentum in the division is 2020. This was with the understanding that we'd be replacing at least one OT possibly 2 (now definite), one OG (I assumed it would be Cleveland actually but Kindley makes sense), and due to those factors probably Jake also. Additionally our west pull is Alabama, which is obviously much harder than their rotating West matchup.   

I didn't know at that time our 19 offense would be a train wreck or that Pittman would be gone, so those certainly shift things a bit more in their favor.

With that said, by no means do I think it's a definite win for them or even that they should be favored. Need to see how the off-season comes together. What hires are made, are both of the remaining OL targets still signed, etc. 

auburn continues to fail when it comes to their oline hire.. first off grimes left because he was told he was oline coach only and would not be involved in any other aspect of the offense and i believe he had some more involvement beforehand.. then gus interviewed a few candidates from msu and from colorado.. they offered the colorado oline coach more money to come over and he turned down their offer to stay at colorado.  they are now doing down their list of options..  all this means though is it helps with Jones.. :)

12 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

auburn continues to fail when it comes to their oline hire.. first off grimes left because he was told he was oline coach only and would not be involved in any other aspect of the offense and i believe he had some more involvement beforehand.. then gus interviewed a few candidates from msu and from colorado.. they offered the colorado oline coach more money to come over and he turned down their offer to stay at colorado.  they are now doing down their list of options..  all this means though is it helps with Jones.. :)

Nobody wants to come for a one year gig.  LOL 

39 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

So I'll play devil's advocate here a bit. I've said since last off-season, UF's best shot to win in Jax and get some momentum in the division is 2020. This was with the understanding that we'd be replacing at least one OT possibly 2 (now definite), one OG (I assumed it would be Cleveland actually but Kindley makes sense), and due to those factors probably Jake also. Additionally our west pull is Alabama, which is obviously much harder than their rotating West matchup.   

I didn't know at that time our 19 offense would be a train wreck or that Pittman would be gone, so those certainly shift things a bit more in their favor.

With that said, by no means do I think it's a definite win for them or even that they should be favored. Need to see how the off-season comes together. What hires are made, are both of the remaining OL targets still signed, etc. 

I think it would have to be one heck of a terrible offseason for us for UF to have a shred of a chance to win next year. Just look at how much WR production they lost from the 2019 team. And we all saw the statistics from our 2019 season just how crucial returning WR production correlates with total offensive production. All indications point to their offense taking a step back next year, not forward. 

10 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

The only part of the article I don’t like is the bolded...lol.  If I never see a long throw outside the hashes again I’ll be thrilled.  Watch LSU’s offense...they attack the easiest part of the defense to exploit, the middle

He’s going to allow Jamie to pass the football, drive the ball down the field and outside the hashes,” Avery said. “When things break down and they’re not available outside, then I think they’re  going to be able to use his legs.

Agreed lol I want to see some seams and deep post routes myself!

54 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Yeah, still don’t get any line of thinking that UGA would lose to UF. Our defense was s dominant and getting better.   Even though we are losing talent on the O-Line, their is plenty of talent behind it to step up - and - whoever is the starter at QB - Newman, Beck, Mathis or Bennett - will have more elusiveness inside or outside of the pocket.   All this plus a much better receiving corps.

Now let’s turn to the Gators.   Where will they be better than the 2019 team.  Maybe QB as Trask will be more experienced.  That’s it.   

1 hour ago, fibonaccisquared said:

i know we discuss all that UGA is missing, but it's funny I never see what other teams are missing.. let's talk florida's offense:  4 of their top 6 wrs are gone.. starting rb is gone which is big he gave them 40 catches and almost 700 yards rushing.. their best back returning got 300 yards rushing.  copeland and grimes do return and they return 50 catches total.  pitts is the big one with 54 receptions.  florida's offensive line was one of the worst in the SEC.  they lose buchanan at center.  they struggle with pass protection and run blocking. 

on defense florida loses their 3 best players in zuniga, greenard, and henderson.  4 of their front 7 are gone including a backup as well.  that defense will take a step back as will the offense.  the key also is they haven't recruited at a level where they can instantly replace guys like UGA has.  However mullen is going to take a lot of transfers due to them not recruiting a number of spots. WR is an example.  they failed miserably in their wr recruiting early on (despite their recent commitment) and are looking to take at least 2 more transfers wrs one being justin shorter.  now that could change some stuff for sure.  

now let's talk UGA.  I agree with a lot of what you said above.  since we are talking about UGA and our 2020 team.. here are my early views (stuff can and will change depending on what some guys do once they get on campus): 

I really love our QB spot right now.  Newman I am very excited about, but what i love most is if mathis does return like we believe and beck is already on campus that's 4 qbs now that will be competing.  yes i know stetson won't light the field on fire, but he knows the offense and is pretty dang smart and can help the other qbs.  I am excited about that.. 

regarding our other offensive spots we are very good at te and elite at rb.  offensive line we lose a lot.. cleveland comes back at guard and we have hill.  the good thing is due to injuries the past 2 years (which we have had plenty) we return guys who have played plenty so i am not that concerned.  plus we bring in not just good, but elite prospects at the oline position. we have guys who i think step in.. sayler, hill, and cleveland.  also webb and condon will play.  then you bring in guys like jones and ratledge who are ready to play right away i am not that concerned.  i like our change to more mobile olinemen.  

Our defense will be freaking elite.. returning 9 of 11 starters and we are going to be the deepest i have seen us maybe ever since I have been a dawg fan.  

the other factor is our offense being just very poor this past season.  i really thinkwe make big offseason changes offensively.. it remains to be seen what that means, but we know we will be elite on defense.. the offense just has to be above average for us to win out..  

it's clear the 2020 schedules is in florida's favor since we played bama and auburn while they play lsu and ole miss from the west.  i still think we should be the favorite; however it's clear nationally florida is the taste of the offseason so far.. i am seeing 247 guys pick florida to be in the playoff and florida fans feel it's not if they beat UGA, but by how much.. i think that is a very good thing for florida to be getting all this preseason love. 

5 hours ago, Prison Mikey said:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wake+forest+condensed+game+football&sp=EgIIBQ%3D%3D

You get to see the good, bad, and ugly from Newman during 2019. His receivers get little separation just like UGA's. Wake had horrible special teams play where it cost them some games. 

Nice break down! Thanks for sharing! 

44 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

i am seeing 247 guys pick florida to be in the playoff and florida fans feel it's not if they beat UGA, but by how much.. i think that is a very good thing for florida to be getting all this preseason love. 

Yeah, that's what is going to make it that much sweeter when we bury them by double digits easily next season. Can't wait to hear how "the game was closer than the final score" for the 4th year in a row. :lol:

Do we really need another te saw them talking about the FSU guy. Washington should be a day 1 starter, seither and the other kid needed add weight but surely that should suffice? Especially given all the dang receivers we have. I’d be happy to see more 4 wr sets than two te sets

7 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Do we really need another te saw them talking about the FSU guy. Washington should be a day 1 starter, seither and the other kid needed add weight but surely that should suffice? Especially given all the dang receivers we have. I’d be happy to see more 4 wr sets than two te sets

Disagree.   The TE room is devoid of top talent outside of DW - who is a very raw, albeit incredibly high ceiling, talent.

John Fitzpatrick, Ryan Goede, Brett Seither?  No one knows much about what any of these guys can do.   The WR room is chocked with upper end talent.   Tight End room doesn’t even have a likely starter.  

1 hour ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

I agree we don’t need another body at TE but we don’t have a McKitty type TE on our roster. He’s athletic enough to create mismatches with DBs. He’s the only TE that I would accept 

Edited by Bdawg58

Washington is super raw and probably going to have a slow start since he’s only ever used his freakish size and athleticism to just out-athlete nothing but remedial high school kids.  But now, he’s going to have a very rude awakening when he realizes everyone on the field is crazy fast, huge, and hits like a mack truck.

Don't count on him to step right in and run great routes and just light it up.  He’s going to hit a mental wall he didn’t know existed.

Goede is ready to be a decent receiving TE out the gate, and Fitzpatrick is probably around average at everything.  After them, the dropoff is big.

So yes, we seriously need a veteran presence in the TE room who can garner respect with his play and have some clout when he tries to help coach these guys up.

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

John Fitzpatrick, Ryan Goede, Brett Seither?  No one knows much about what any of these guys can do.   The WR room is chocked with upper end talent.   Tight End room doesn’t even have a likely starter.  

I know a couple of them have been through a season, or more, of college football, which includes weight training, knowledge of playbook and high level coaching at their position.

What do we know about DW?  I see DW as a piece next year, but not a day one starter.  Fitzpatrick is more of a blocking te and Seither is a fantastic athlete and is more of a receiving te.  I’m not sure about what we have with Goede.

i see some talk on UGA message boards that they don't think we take 4 to 5 transfers because we don't want to use spots from next year's numbers..  there is a very strong feeling by coaches that the max you can sign yearly will change due to the portal transfer issues or they will count a different way..  if i am a coach and i see we need 4 to 5 transfers in order to fix depth issues i do it  

7 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

i know we discuss all that UGA is missing, but it's funny I never see what other teams are missing.. let's talk florida's offense:  4 of their top 6 wrs are gone.. starting rb is gone which is big he gave them 40 catches and almost 700 yards rushing.. their best back returning got 300 yards rushing.  copeland and grimes do return and they return 50 catches total.  pitts is the big one with 54 receptions.  florida's offensive line was one of the worst in the SEC.  they lose buchanan at center.  they struggle with pass protection and run blocking. 

on defense florida loses their 3 best players in zuniga, greenard, and henderson.  4 of their front 7 are gone including a backup as well.  that defense will take a step back as will the offense.  the key also is they haven't recruited at a level where they can instantly replace guys like UGA has.  However mullen is going to take a lot of transfers due to them not recruiting a number of spots. WR is an example.  they failed miserably in their wr recruiting early on (despite their recent commitment) and are looking to take at least 2 more transfers wrs one being justin shorter.  now that could change some stuff for sure.  

now let's talk UGA.  I agree with a lot of what you said above.  since we are talking about UGA and our 2020 team.. here are my early views (stuff can and will change depending on what some guys do once they get on campus): 

I really love our QB spot right now.  Newman I am very excited about, but what i love most is if mathis does return like we believe and beck is already on campus that's 4 qbs now that will be competing.  yes i know stetson won't light the field on fire, but he knows the offense and is pretty dang smart and can help the other qbs.  I am excited about that.. 

regarding our other offensive spots we are very good at te and elite at rb.  offensive line we lose a lot.. cleveland comes back at guard and we have hill.  the good thing is due to injuries the past 2 years (which we have had plenty) we return guys who have played plenty so i am not that concerned.  plus we bring in not just good, but elite prospects at the oline position. we have guys who i think step in.. sayler, hill, and cleveland.  also webb and condon will play.  then you bring in guys like jones and ratledge who are ready to play right away i am not that concerned.  i like our change to more mobile olinemen.  

Our defense will be freaking elite.. returning 9 of 11 starters and we are going to be the deepest i have seen us maybe ever since I have been a dawg fan.  

the other factor is our offense being just very poor this past season.  i really thinkwe make big offseason changes offensively.. it remains to be seen what that means, but we know we will be elite on defense.. the offense just has to be above average for us to win out..  

it's clear the 2020 schedules is in florida's favor since we played bama and auburn while they play lsu and ole miss from the west.  i still think we should be the favorite; however it's clear nationally florida is the taste of the offseason so far.. i am seeing 247 guys pick florida to be in the playoff and florida fans feel it's not if they beat UGA, but by how much.. i think that is a very good thing for florida to be getting all this preseason love. 

Not really directed to any single poster, but since you were the last to respond I'll quote you. Did I fail to qualify that I was quite literally playing Devil's Advocate or something? "UF's best chance to get a win in Jax" does not equate to "Fib^2 believes UF will beat UGA in Jax in 2020"...

I agree with a lot of your assessment on UF's returning players. OL play for them was pretty mediocre to bad, they do have a good majority of the line returning, but I simply don't believe that they have the OL coaching to make massive strides forward anyways.

I think at receiver, until I see what they look like, I have a tendency to just assume that UF will be fine at the position. I just don't remember a lot of years where they were lite on play makers at receiver. So while you're probably right that they'll miss some of the production, I believe that they'll likely outperform expectations at WR still.

On defense, I haven't seen who all is definitely returning for them. If they're returning all their DBs, it's likely still enough to cause problems for some offenses, though missing the 3 studs up front and on the edge will be tough to offset, even with the addition of Brenton Cox. 

All in all, I agree, their losses are not insubstantial. *But* in a relative sense, it's still their best shot to get a win against us. 21 will mean they're changing QBs again, and rotating that much more of Mullen's mediocre recruits in. Keeping in mind that had they not gone on a **** 7 minute clock draining TD drive at the end in 19, that could have been a much less fun game for us given how we seemed to be stalling a bit toward the end.

As to us:

QB: I'm a little less optimistic than you, but I do generally like were we sit now with the transfer, and particularly if reports that Mathis is going to be cleared are accurate. If Stetson Bennett is playing any meaningful snaps for UGA in 2020, we're hosed. I love that the kid has worked hard for us, but respectfully of the handful of throws that he's made for us, it feels like greater than 50% *could* have been picked off. I just hope that Newman is everything he looks to be advertised as - if so, we're in a really good spot and he likely can help mentor both of the young guys on the roster as well. If either of them somehow manage to steal the job, then I hope it's because they earned it and not by default.

TE: Not sure I can assess our TE pool as "very good". I like the *potential* of some of the guys on the roster, but 1) while DW has the potential to be a stud, he's still raw and without a transfer pickup we don't really have a veteran to help groom/mold him (hopefully that's why McKitty is being given a hard look). 2) we've yet to see TE be a feature in the offense outside of blocking schemes... Part of that had to do with our trend of throwing to the outside and avoiding plays over the middle - so between the QB changes and potential coaching additions, I'm *very* excited to see how this changes or doesn't. I'm not one who feels like we need TE to go for a TON, but efficient utilization of the TE and not outright forgetting that they can be used to create mismatches will be a welcome return to the offensive game plan.

RB: I'm cautiously optimistic for Zeus in 20. He was *good* but not exceptional in 2019. How much of that was OL run blocking underperformance, poor play calling, defenses not having to play us honest, etc, I'm not sure we'll know, but I do feel like he was missing that explosive final gear. He was a solid plodder who looked to deliver a hit at the end of a run which was nice, but I didn't see the elusiveness that he displayed that made him so promising out of HS. 

WR: We saw what Pickens can bring to the table. We also saw what Dom could bring, but **** I hate that he went down with the injury so late in the season. No matter the QB competition outcome, we know we need at least 2 more guys to step up and become consistent receiving threats for them. If we see an unimproved Landers taking significant snaps, I'll be really upset.

Defense: My god... It's hard to believe we have so much talent returning. Tyler Clark really played well this year so gotta fill in behind him. Additionally, crazy how good JR Reed has been for us. I like Cine's ability to fill in there, but behind him I'm less than certain with Otis Reese going to the portal. Another year for Nolan Smith and Travon Walker on the other hand will be insane.

I agree that pre-season UF hype is a great thing for us though. Kirby mentioned the disease bit, and while I laugh because it's straight out of the Saban playbook (see: rat-poison), it works. Guys need to know that it doesn't matter who fluffs you up... you have to bring it every week, every game, every play, every practice rep... anything less is likely to catch up with you at some point.

Anyone else see these comments from an Ennis Rakestraw interview?

Q: What kind of role does the current depth chart play into your decision? Specifically, a guy like Kelee Ringo already being at Georgia?  

I mean I want to play you know, but I'm never scared of competition. I feel like he will make me better. Going against somebody like Ringo will make you better because obviously he's a great player, he's the number one corner, but I'm not going to back down from anybody. It's going to be fun. 

Q: What do you like most about Georgia? 

The thing about Georgia is, the way Coach Warren talks to me, I feel like he's a guy that I would want to play for. I just wanted him to keep it real with me and that's exactly what he did and that's loyalty. I just want a coach to keep it real, and that's what he did.

It's going to be fun? o.O  Oh really? 

40 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Anyone else see these comments from an Ennis Rakestraw interview?

It's going to be fun? o.O  Oh really? 

Great find. Hope you don’t mind but I reposted this over on the Rant recruiting thread. 

5 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

i see some talk on UGA message boards that they don't think we take 4 to 5 transfers because we don't want to use spots from next year's numbers..  there is a very strong feeling by coaches that the max you can sign yearly will change due to the portal transfer issues or they will count a different way..  if i am a coach and i see we need 4 to 5 transfers in order to fix depth issues i do it  

What positions  do you feel can best contribute on a one year grad transfer?  DE and QB seem like easy transitions 

9 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

What positions  do you feel can best contribute on a one year grad transfer?  DE and QB seem like easy transitions 

OL and DB as well.