Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carter

January 2020 Recruiting Thread

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

DW is nowhere near a finished product.  He is a long, long way behind Arik Gilbert and likely won’t ever be as smooth - but that’s OK - he just needs to be developed into a chain mover between the 20’s and ultimate red zone threat.

If he can be an A+ blocker also that helps tremendously 

Reminder for Kelee Ringo announcing his decision today! Game will be at 2 pm Eastern on NBC. No idea on a specific time for Ringo’s announcement. He’s the highest rated recruit by far announcing there so I imagine it will be later in the broadcast.

Also a thought I want to get out here about Evans. We have passed the point where his signed LOI would be voided if not submitted by UGA to conference officials. Evans stated that he signed on Thursday, December 19th. Counting 14 days from that date would be January 2nd. Which is when the all star game with his nationally televised apology occurred. So if Evans is not actually able to enroll early then we should have our answer soon with or without official confirmation. If Evans is not in the public with signing day recruiting picking back up and being pursued by other schools, then his LOI was submitted and we are locked in.

Rusty said if he had to guess right now, Evans doesn’t end up in Athens.  

I’m wondering if there is another rb we would go after, if Evans is a no go?  

Rusty also doesn’t know if UGA releases Evans from the LOI, if he would still count against this class.

25 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

If Evans actually signed the LOI, which I believe he did, there’s no reason for UGA to release him from it. I do believe that Evans will be at UGA this season, we should know something soon though 

I agree about there being no reason to release him.  I hope you are correct about him being at UGA this season.

Update from Trent Smallwood on Caleb Williams:

ORLANDO - Class of 2021 five-star quarterback Caleb Williams has been a hot commodity on the recruiting trail throughout his junior season. At the Future50 check-in on Wednesday, the No. 5 nationally-rated prospect discussed what schools were still in the mix. "There are around seven schools that are talking to me," Williams said. "I would say LSU obviously. Georgia, Penn State talks to me, Clemson, Maryland, and Oregon. Those are probably the schools that talk to me and recruit me the most." Georgia offensive coordinator James Coley wants the 6-foot-2, 200-pound quarterback to be the leader of the next signing class.

"Georgia, they text me every day and things like that. They want me to be their guy. They want me to come in. They are all in," Williams said. "I actually talked to Coach Coley two days ago. Either yesterday or two days ago. We just talked. It was not really about ball; it was just us talking. I have a really good relationship with Coach Coley, but they do tell me they are all in and want me to be a Dawg."

The Bulldogs were never a factor for the No. 1 nationally-rated quarterback under its previous offensive coordinator.

"I like the coaches overall. Coach Coley is a great guy. I have been there a few times. When Georgia offered me early in my recruitment I was not considering them, because I did not really like Coach [Jim] Chaney," Williams said. "Once he went to Tennessee, I opened up to them. It all kind of started with Coach [Dan] Lanning and Coach Coley."

LSU has been the rumored front-runner for Williams over the last few months. The Tigers pulled a scholarship to nearby defensive end Demon Clowney and that rubbed some prospects wrong. Was Williams among them?

"I didn't really know him. I know he went to St. Francis, and I know a lot of guys at St. Francis. I didn't really know him, so not really," Williams said. "I actually don't know how they handled the situation. I hoped they handled it better than what everyone else is putting out in how they just dropped him. That's what I heard; how they just dropped him. I believe they handled it better, but it does not really change anything with my recruiting."

Watching the offensive output with both LSU and Georgia, what keeps the Bulldogs in the mix?

"I've watched LSU games, and I've watched Georgia games, along with other teams. I know I have certain abilities I believe [Jake] Fromm doesn't have. No offense to Fromm, he is a wonderful guy and the smartest guy that I have seen offensively, but he can't move as much," Williams said. "Offense-wise, Georgia just got a bunch of recruits—a bunch of offensive linemen and a bunch of receivers. Their offense can open up. I've seen them throw some bombs, although they were missed at times. I've seen them do it, so I believe they can do it if they have the right guy."

As potentially the right guy, Williams has taken notice of Georgia's latest signees.

"If you have that talent, then I believe you should open it up. They just got Jermaine [Burton] when he flipped, and also got that fastest man from yesterday [Arian Smith]. They also got Marcus Rosemy, and already have [George] Pickens," Williams said. "When you have those types of guys, you should definitely open it up."

Williams plans to take visits to all his finalist schools before making a decision prior to his senior season.

"It's also a reason I'm not committed. I'm a guy who, once I'm committed, I'm committed. I'm not flipping, I'm not decommitting," Williams said. "My coach [Randy Trivers] instilled that in me since my freshman year. That's the type of guy he is. He does not want a guy committing somewhere and then decommitting. He kind of takes that upon himself and instilled that in me. That's why I'm taking this with caution. I just want to be cautious about this whole thing, because this is the next three or four years of my life."

Guys there is a very clear outline of events and what to expect with regard to Evans. You just have to look a little beyond what is explicitly stated. He has signed and it's clear that he signed with UGA. What is unknown is whether or not we submitted his NLI within 14 days. If it was not submitted then the NLI is invalid and there is no "releasing him" from it.

Here is a Rivals article laying out the plain facts:

The rumor mill around five-star running back Zachary Evans hasn’t stopped churning since Thursday morning, when it was confirmed

via ESPN’s Craig Haubert that the nation’s No. 4 running back would not announce his commitment during the Under Armour All-American Game.

Speculation has run rampant, but here are some established facts.

EVANS CLAIMS TO HAVE SIGNED HIS NLI.

"I officially signed. I feel good. There's a lot of pressure off of my chest now," Evans told Trent Smallwood last Saturday.

EVANS HAS RECENTLY SPOKEN TO GEORGIA COACHES.

SPEAKING TO ANYONE OTHER THAN THE SCHOOL HE SIGNED WITH WOULD LEAD TO A VIOLATION OF THE NLI.

A SUBMITTED NLI WOULD BE VOIDED AFTER 14 DAYS.

WHAT WE'RE HEARING

UGA is deciding whether or not to turn in his LOI. As to why the hesitation, we are not sure. There have been well-documented issues at his school, and Evans even went on ESPN to apologize publicly to his coaches. At this point, it seems to be UGA's decision, as Evans told Rivals.com that his signing could go through "at any time."

3 minutes ago, lju713 said:

Not recruiting related but by the numbers Pickens blew Haselwood out the water statistics wise. Go DAWGS

Yeah, sometimes the consolation prize is better than the first choice.   Reminds me of Falcons trying to trade up in 2011 to try and get AJ Green(DGD) but having to settle for Julio Jones.

46 minutes ago, Carter said:

Guys there is a very clear outline of events and what to expect with regard to Evans. You just have to look a little beyond what is explicitly stated. He has signed and it's clear that he signed with UGA. What is unknown is whether or not we submitted his NLI within 14 days. If it was not submitted then the NLI is invalid and there is no "releasing him" from it.

Here is a Rivals article laying out the plain facts:

If Kirby is taking this long at this point to make a decision on Evans, there's gotta be more to this cell phone than we're aware. One thing we do know is that Evans has had more than one instance of alleged insubordination over the past 4 months. Hence, perhaps the hesitation, hence, the apology.

I'm good with our stable of RBs with or without Evans.

10 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

If Kirby is taking this long at this point to make a decision on Evans, there's gotta be more to this cell phone than we're aware. One thing we do know is that Evans has had more than one instance of alleged insubordination over the past 4 months. Hence, perhaps the hesitation, hence, the apology.

I'm good with our stable of RBs with or without Evans.

Well that decision would have had to been made no later than two days ago on January 2nd. That would be the 14 days after Evans reported signing his NLI. That, interestingly enough, coincides with the Under Armor game where Evans apologized on national tv and had Deion Sanders vouching for him. It could have been submitted to the SEC that day for validation.

So I think this is what I'm looking for from this point...

1. UGA announces at some point soon that Zach Evans has been signed.

2. If there is no announcement, will Evans be back in the recruiting process for national signing day in February. If he is mentioned as visiting or speaking with coaches other than UGA then that would be a strong indication that his NLI was invalidated and Evans/UGA are no longer legally bound.

20 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

yep level III which means it gives us a minor advantage..  we had 2 secondary violations which were jokes.. 

No recruiting at the school got two years seems excessive.  Any idea what school it is?  Better not be IMG...lol