Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UGABOZ

Hawks January Game Thread

570 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

At some point Atlanta  is gonna have to invest in PROVEN talent.  IF they can sign Drummond  to a extension,  that's the route to go. People complain that free agents don't come to Atlanta.  Trading for them is another way... 

If Drummond didn't want to be in Atlanta, then he could leave in the offseason. Trading for Drummond doesn't guarantee anything. It doesn't give us a discount. It just gives us the ability to pay him more than the next team with the 5th year. And if he hates Atlanta, he will leave with us having nothing. 

I support trading and investing in proven talent, but we have to be smart. We don't want to rush into competing now and ending up in a situation like AD and Pelicans.

jayu70 likes this

3 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I honestly hate this. 

I understand why it’s probably not smart long-term, but at least it would make us better now, and I can’t be mad at that.

27 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Bye Bye

tenor.gif?itemid=15906891

I mean... if the Pistons would take that Nets pick, Parsons and Turner for Drummond... I could live with that. But I have no idea why they would do that lol

45 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

If Drummond didn't want to be in Atlanta, then he could leave in the offseason. Trading for Drummond doesn't guarantee anything. It doesn't give us a discount. It just gives us the ability to pay him more than the next team with the 5th year. And if he hates Atlanta, he will leave with us having nothing. 

I support trading and investing in proven talent, but we have to be smart. We don't want to rush into competing now and ending up in a situation like AD and Pelicans.

You completely ignored my statement of IF THEY CAN SIGN HIM,( sign and trade deal)...

Just now, Spts1 said:

You completely ignored my statement of IF THEY CAN SIGN HIM,( sign and trade deal)...

I don't think that kind of deal can be done until the offseason. Don't think he can sign again until the offseason (per a Georgiafan post)

Spts1 likes this

7 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I don't think that kind of deal can be done until the offseason. Don't think he can sign again until the offseason (per a Georgiafan post)

I looked into that. He is correct.  This thing has turned out to be a bunch of noise about nothing...

2 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

I looked into that. He is correct.  This thing has turned out to be a bunch of noise about nothing...

Yeah I just don't think I can justify trading for him if he can turn around and leave in July. 

Spts1 likes this

2 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Yeah I just don't think I can justify trading for him if he can turn around and leave in July. 

Exactly. I'm behind trading for a proven veteran, but not as a rental. Like has been mentioned on the board, maybe its Travis trying to make Trae happy by putting it out there that he is actively seeking help for him...

jayu70 and GEORGIAfan like this

7 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

If the Hawks could gamble and trade JUST picks and expiring contracts, I would  do that. Don't touch the core of the roster. If they get a feel that they can sign him and just give up picks and salary, that would be the way to go...

7 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Exactly. I'm behind trading for a proven veteran, but not as a rental. Like has been mentioned on the board, maybe its Travis trying to make Trae happy by putting it out there that he is actively seeking help for him...

Worse. Ownership is getting impatient.

Ressler better not bungle this. Let Travis work. Don't rush. 

jayu70 likes this

2 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Worse. Ownership is getting impatient.

Ressler better not bungle this. Let Travis work. Don't rush. 

Brooklyn's first and expiring contracts are too much to gamble on a rental?

Just now, Spts1 said:

It isn't a terrible loss. This is supposed to be a weak draft anyways. I was just hoping we could find someone a bit more long term. Maybe Steven Adams, since he is signed until 2021. Getting Drummond and resigning him also means no Giannis. 

12 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

It isn't a terrible loss. This is supposed to be a weak draft anyways. I was just hoping we could find someone a bit more long term. Maybe Steven Adams, since he is signed until 2021. Getting Drummond and resigning him also means no Giannis. 

Steven Adams?  Ehhhh.  Even long term I don't  want him.  Giannis? Seriously doubt if the Hawks could sign him even without Drummond. At least we agree that worst case the rental wouldn't cost too much if they could get Detroit  to bite on that package of Brooklyn's  first and expiring contracts...

37 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Yes. He'd have to at least pick.up his option for 2020-2021 season