Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UGABOZ

Hawks January Game Thread

570 posts in this topic

"I think the biggest thing is keeping everyone in their role, to where we're not asking anyone to do more," Pierce said. "I think having everybody back, we have a natural point guard in Brandon [Goodwin] that we can use in that second unit. Maybe he can generate some shots for Kevin or he can initiate the offense so we can get Kevin [Huerter] on the second side of actions or Cam [Reddish] on the second side of actions, which is where they're naturally comfortable at this stage." 

Pierce also said he expects Goodwin, who had 21 points and six assists in Orlando, to remain a part of the rotation as the backup point guard moving forward. Goodwin is a solid on-ball defender and passable 3-point shooter who could help give the offense more floor spacing and off-the-dribble potency with Young off the floor. 

Synopsis:

1. Trae Young will be an All-Star. I don’t think this prediction is the easiest one to make, but I think it’s most likely to happen. Young is averaging more than 28 points and eight assists per game to rank in the top five in both categories.

2. John Collins is given a four-year contract. Collins is eligible for a rookie extension this summer that won’t kick in until the 2021 season. In the games since his return from suspension, Collins has looked just as good on offense.

3. There will be a new center on the roster by the conclusion of the trade deadline. The Hawks have three backup centers on the roster. 

4. The Hawks don’t get the No. 1 pick. Since the NBA started using the current lottery system in 1994, the Hawks have been in the draft lottery eight times and only once did they put in the same position as they entered.

5. Once again, the Hawks will have a historically bad defense. 

6.Cam Reddish solidifies himself as the team’s go-to lockdown defender. 

7. Evan Turner and/or Chandler Parsons won’t be on this team by April. 

8. If he’s not traded, Jabari Parker will opt into his player option. Parker remains a giant liability on defense as he has been for all of his career, but he has shown that he can score.

9. DeAndre’ Bembry won’t be re-signed this offseason. Bembry is the lone remaining player on the roster who predates Schlenk’s arrival to Atlanta. Bembry has been a personal favorite for Pierce because of his willingness to do the small tasks on the court with 100 percent effort always. Bembry has not been very good this season and was briefly out of the rotation for a three-game stretch.

10. No, Pierce won’t be fired. Yahoo! Sports’ Chris Haynes reported last month that Pierce wasn’t yet on the hot seat following the Hawks’ embarrassing loss to the Knicks but did say that the heat could rise underneath him if Atlanta continued to struggle. Schlenk told our own Jeff Schultz that Pierce wasn’t on the hot seat at all. 

GEORGIAfan and blkbigdog35 like this

2 hours ago, jayu70 said:

2. John Collins is given a four-year contract. Collins is eligible for a rookie extension this summer that won’t kick in until the 2021 season. In the games since his return from suspension, Collins has looked just as good on offense.

3. There will be a new center on the roster by the conclusion of the trade deadline. The Hawks have three backup centers on the roster. 

Part of me feels like we might wait for Collins contract if Giannis doesn't sign his extension or if he doesn't expect max money.

Len has lowkey been improving since the start of the season. I still want a better long term answer, but I am not unhappy with his play anymore.

2 hours ago, jayu70 said:

6.Cam Reddish solidifies himself as the team’s go-to lockdown defender. 

7. Evan Turner and/or Chandler Parsons won’t be on this team by April. 

8. If he’s not traded, Jabari Parker will opt into his player option. Parker remains a giant liability on defense as he has been for all of his career, but he has shown that he can score.

If Cam can improve his consistency and his shooting averages by 5ish percent, I could see him take the starting job. He has all the tools to rise up to be our 3rd guy with Hunter. 

Can we make it by Tomorrow? 

Really? I don't see Jabari opting in, but I also think we trade him by the deadline. He will definitely get a better deal than 6.5 on the market.

8 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Part of me feels like we might wait for Collins contract if Giannis doesn't sign his extension or if he doesn't expect max money.

Len has lowkey been improving since the start of the season. I still want a better long term answer, but I am not unhappy with his play anymore.

If Cam can improve his consistency and his shooting averages by 5ish percent, I could see him take the starting job. He has all the tools to rise up to be our 3rd guy with Hunter. 

Can we make it by Tomorrow? 

Really? I don't see Jabari opting in, but I also think we trade him by the deadline. He will definitely get a better deal than 6.5 on the market.

If we can sign Collins to his extention early you do it regardless of what Giannis does as we still have the capspace to sign him. EVERYONE will be making a play for Giannis so I wouldn't put all my eggs in that one basket. You don't want other teams setting the market on your RFA rookies. If Giannis does sign, and we decide to trade JC, you get more value since he would be signed long term.

Len is a classic backup.

Parker was looking for a deal in the $10 mil range last year, he didn't get it. I don't think he'll get much more - he's still the same player, all offense, no defense.

blkbigdog35 likes this

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Let's get a win tonight

I wont have my hopes up, but boy that would be nice. I can’t stand Boston. 

33 minutes ago, therawest said:

I wont have my hopes up, but boy that would be nice. I can’t stand Boston. 

Yeah I'm with you on all accounts. Don't expect it, but I hope it happens. Hate those guys 

6 hours ago, jayu70 said:

If we can sign Collins to his extention early you do it regardless of what Giannis does as we still have the capspace to sign him. EVERYONE will be making a play for Giannis so I wouldn't put all my eggs in that one basket. You don't want other teams setting the market on your RFA rookies. If Giannis does sign, and we decide to trade JC, you get more value since he would be signed long term.

Len is a classic backup.

Parker was looking for a deal in the $10 mil range last year, he didn't get it. I don't think he'll get much more - he's still the same player, all offense, no defense.

We wouldn't if we use it for 2020 offseason free agents. Collins is an RFA no matter the contract, we can match with his Bird rights. And Collins is clearly going to get offered more than his RFA cap hold of 12 million dollars. We could sign Giannis + free agents up to the cap, then sign Collins over the cap and still have our Mid Level exception to sign another player. 

It makes sense to hold off on resigning him. There are really no downsides. 

It would have to be a trade and early extension, otherwise it makes no sense.

I'm wouldn't mind Drummond, but I'm enthralled with the idea of drafting Wiseman instead.

Wiseman is quite possibly everything Drummond is, but taller/longer/more athletic, and maybe even ultimately better.  PLUS, about $30+ million a year cheaper for a while.

Posted (edited)

At some point Atlanta  is gonna have to invest in PROVEN talent.  IF they can sign Drummond  to a extension,  that's the route to go. People complain that free agents don't come to Atlanta.  Trading for them is another way... 

Edited by Spts1