Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boise Falcon Fan

Josh Donaldson

68 posts in this topic

I was reading an article earlier that stated the Braves have joined the Nationals in offering a 4th year to JD. I am happy that they did, but the price is going up so much that I am afraid it'll end up being to steep for the team.  Article was saying the range may have risen from 4 yrs. 100 mil. to 112 - 120 mil.  If that is the case, he's probably going to the Nationals. I can't see the Braves paying him 30 mil per year. Hopefully that is just speculation.  4 years $25 per seems about right.

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

The Nats will offer the most money. We've heard they're willing to overpay to replace Rendon. We will most likely be in that 4 year $100M window.

Makes you wonder why they didnt just keep Rendon

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

1 hour ago, LouDog said:

They tried during the season. He declined $210M. It worked for him but the Nats decided they couldnt go higher. So paying Josh $110M or whatever is well within their original plans. 

30 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

They tried during the season. He declined $210M. It worked for him but the Nats decided they couldnt go higher. So paying Josh $110M or whatever is well within their original plans. 

Yeah but that's paying an older player close to 30 mil per season when Rendon ended up getting 35 mil per season. Doesn't seem like much of a difference for the superior player that is 6 years younger

2 hours ago, LouDog said:

Yeah but that's paying an older player close to 30 mil per season when Rendon ended up getting 35 mil per season. Doesn't seem like much of a difference for the superior player that is 6 years younger

But the extra years Rendon wanted and got equals another 100 plus million..

9 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

But the extra years Rendon wanted and got equals another 100 plus million..

Yeah but his contract only keeps him signed til he is 35 when JDs keeps him til he is 38. Just seemed like the much better value deal to go for Rendon. Once JDs deal is up (if the nats get him) id be willing to bet they will spend similar money to replace him

6 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

Welcome to the forum. We are all generally in lock step that 4 years is a little too long, but it may be the smarter play based on what is currently out there. 

This has been my thinking. Yeah year 4 would probably suck but it's worth the risk in my book.

4 hours ago, LouDog said:

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

3 hours ago, LouDog said:

What killed the Nationals hopes of landing Rendon was deferred money. He wanted no part of that and the Nationals only do mega contracts with deferred money attached.

LouDog and Boise Falcon Fan like this

29 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I love JD, and I really wanted him to stay with the Braves, but I am pretty sure he has priced himself out now.  

I honestly expect us to sign him but am past the point of wanting us to. Dude can kick rocks as far as im concerned

8 minutes ago, LouDog said:

I honestly expect us to sign him but am past the point of wanting us to. Dude can kick rocks as far as im concerned

Understand. I thought it would be done already. It seems that he is doing what most do and trying to get every last penny.  Seems to me it would be better to go where you are the most comfortable, and the Braves look like a team that is built for  an extended run.  I guess it is a business after all, but how much money do you really need?

2 hours ago, LouDog said:

Business side of sports man. 

RING OF HONOR likes this

3 hours ago, LouDog said:

I'll have to disagree with you on this one man haha.

If someone is willing to pay you $110 million, I can't blame you for waiting for that. 

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

I'll have to disagree with you on this one man haha.

If someone is willing to pay you $110 million, I can't blame you for waiting for that. 

But no one is right now, it's why he isn't signing. If reports are true the Braves are only 6 mil off, that is 96% of his asking price. Are you really going to not take a job because they only offered you 96% of what you'd like?

I'll be glad he's here but dude needs to replicate his 2019 for sure.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

But no one is right now, it's why he isn't signing. If reports are true the Braves are only 6 mil off, that is 96% of his asking price. Are you really going to not take a job because they only offered you 96% of what you'd like?

I hope we didn't offer him more than 100M

2 hours ago, Malachore said:

It's all but a guarantee they did.

Considering the Nats are reported to have a 100 mil contract sitting waiting on him if he wants to take it.  Im almost 100% guaranteed we offered a bit more than a 100 or atleast had to match it lol.    Now i will say this i won't be to upset with it if the Dh gets implemented as at that point it takes alot of wear and tear off his body if he doesn't have to play 3rd all the time and a rested donaldson only hitting most the time i would take even in his late 30's i think he will still have a good BA and tons of power.

13 hours ago, Malachore said:

Yeah you aren't wrong on the first part. I guess putting it into percentages makes it a little easier to see that lol. Truthfully, I just want to see him back at this point. Rendon was the best option, now he is the 2nd best

Donaldson is in no hurry. He knows he has the leverage with the strong market. The longer he waits could also lead to someone hitting the panic button and dropping another $10M.

putnam6 likes this

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Donaldson is in no hurry. He knows he has the leverage with the strong market. The longer he waits could also lead to someone hitting the panic button and dropping another $10M.

I wish the Braves would do something. Donaldson or no Donaldson we need another starting pitcher and a big time proven outfield bat.

A buddy of mine is pretty connected in Minnesota. He just told me that everyone involved with the Twins thinks that Donaldson is just using them and has no real interest in going there.

All I keep thinking about this is how I've seen a few players over the years wind up stuck in places like that because they overplayed their hand. Danny Tartabull famously saw his life became a nightmare after he signed with the Yankees.