What if the Falcons had just kneeled?

Sidecar Falcon

Hate to bring up this old wound but it does raise some interesting questions. First half of the video is pretty interesting stuff. I doubt this is a true measure of what would have really happened. This is due mainly to scheming being different based on scenario and game flow. Second half is a “simulation” done via Madden 18. So I don’t take that with too much merit. Either way I’ve checked out this dudes YouTube channel, and he has made reference or exhibited this game on three separate videos within the last month. Seems like he might just hate the Falcons. 

41 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Or just ran the ball more than like 4 times the second half. Absolutely asinine. Quinn should have been fired immediately after this game.

I think after watching the 49'ers play this year (especially against us) more people are realizing its on KS. The announcers during the game this year even mentioned it saying his mentality is to keep trying to put up points. It cost him twice (that I know of) and unfortunately one of them was the biggest game he has ever coached in. It doesnt seem like he has learned his lesson either...

34 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Or just ran the ball more than like 4 times the second half. Absolutely asinine. Quinn should have been fired immediately after this game.

No,  it’s all a part of a process with which we are very comfortable.  We’ve run the #s and teams who stick w their boneheads um.....existing mgt pool ......are far more competitive over long haul.  Had DQ been reporting to Rich McKay, he’d have known better and overridden his OC. We’ve clearly learned some things that will enable us to be successful as we move forward.  Oh...and.....DQ is very self aware and willing to make any needed corrections (just not w SB hanging in balance).   Btw, we also have one of the premiere sports venues in US too, cheap hot dogs and some very nice PSLs for which we’ll require premium compensation to match your enhanced in-game experience.  Not sure why some folks keep rattling on about team discipline, preparation, talent evaluation, cap mgt and for heaven sakes that drivel abt the “Trenches”.....this is not Stahlingrad in ‘42.......now Rich.....pls go manage these good people as well....,

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

I think after watching the 49'ers play this year (especially against us) more people are realizing its on KS. The announcers during the game this year even mentioned it saying his mentality is to keep trying to put up points. It cost him twice (that I know of) and unfortunately one of them was the biggest game he has ever coached in. It doesnt seem like he has learned his lesson either...

Exactly.  I blv it lead to our recent victory over SF as well.  

21 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Quinn's job to reel KS in. Good leaders give their people autonomy, but maintain oversight and the ability to overrule. 

1 minute ago, Falcanuck said:

Quinn's job to reel KS in. Good leaders give their people autonomy, but maintain oversight and the ability to overrule. 

Yea and you would think Quinn of all people would understand the importance of running the ball late in the superbowl...so incredibly dumb.

5 minutes ago, athell said:

Yea and you would think Quinn of all people would understand the importance of running the ball late in the superbowl...so incredibly dumb.

Asking because I don’t know, but does the head coach know/hear every single offensive play that goes in?

1 hour ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Quinn is the head coach and he has the power to call off the dogs and he didn’t. 

28 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

What if Jake Matthews just hadn't held?  He pushed us out of two FGs in the 4th quarter.  With either one, the comeback would've been impossible.

I love when people pin 1 play as the reason we lost that superbowl when the reality is it was a collection of dumps taken by various players and staff that led to the largest superbowl collapse ever.

It's hilariously short sighted to point to 1 play, 1 penalty, 1 missed block, etc. as the sole reason we lost.

Here's a thought...if we ran the ball Jake would have never held.

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

15 minutes ago, Skott Lee said:

Quinn is the head coach and he has the power to call off the dogs and he didn’t. 

If Quinn was an offensive minded coach there might be an argument, Shanny at the time was the "best" OC in the game and Quinn was running the defense. If I was Quinn I might have made the suggestion to change the play styles but I think I would have enough faith in KS to not blow the game. 

The major problem was the fact that there were no offensive adjustments made during the second half, I believe Van Noy had an interview where he said the Pats were running a certain look in the first half and changed to a cover 3 at half and he was dumbfounded that Atlanta kept running the same calls with no adjustments. 

Edited by DirtyBird2

24 minutes ago, shc said:

Or what I they call a face mask on the same play on New England?

Or Freeman actually picked up the blitz from Hightower so Ryan doesn't fumble and give the Patriots the ball in the red zone. Or Julien Edleman drops that miraculous catch. Too many things that if went the other way would've changed the outcome.

1 hour ago, DogIsYourName said:

What if Jake Matthews just hadn't held?  He pushed us out of two FGs in the 4th quarter.  With either one, the comeback would've been impossible.

What if Freeman had not whiffed on his block and allowed Matt Ryan to hit Robinson wide open?  Or allowed him to be hit and cause a fumble?

There's always going to be a what-if.

Edited by federicofalcon2

2 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Or Freeman actually picked up the blitz from Hightower so Ryan doesn't fumble and give the Patriots the ball in the red zone. Or Julien Edleman drops that miraculous catch. Too many things that if went the other way would've changed the outcome.

What’s sad is that we only needed ONE of those “what if’s” to happen to secure the game

9 hours ago, athell said:

I love when people pin 1 play as the reason we lost that superbowl when the reality is it was a collection of dumps taken by various players and staff that led to the largest superbowl collapse ever.

It's hilariously short sighted to point to 1 play, 1 penalty, 1 missed block, etc. as the sole reason we lost.

Here's a thought...if we ran the ball Jake would have never held.

Well in fairness I was pointing to two plays.  Jake held TWO DIFFERENT TIMES and pushed us out of FG range both times!

12 hours ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Yeah?... how many 28-3 leads in the SB has he had this year? I think he learned from that mistake and have seen the 49ers grind some games out at the end this season. Most certainly they have ran the ball more in the 2nd half with a lead than what we did in 51.

We can never prove anything but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Quinn told him to keep the pressure on at halftime, and it certainly fell on Quinn to put his foot down if that wasn't the case. 

11 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Yeah?... how many 28-3 leads in the SB has he had this year? I think he learned from that mistake and have seen the 49ers grind some games out at the end this season. Most certainly they have ran the ball more in the 2nd half with a lead than what we did in 51.

We can never prove anything but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Quinn told him to keep the pressure on at halftime, and it certainly fell on Quinn to put his foot down if that wasn't the case. 

What does playing in a SB this year have to do with anything? Look at the game against Atlanta, had a lead and kept trying to pass. Led to a loss. 

We may not be able to prove anything, but as I noted earlier there was an interview with Kyle Van Noy where he stated that the offense did nothing to adjust to the Pats halftime adjustments and kept running with the same game plan even though the defense was in a totally different scheme. Maybe Quinn told him to keep the pressure at halftime, but when nothing was working KS should have changed it up. The blame lays on both but more so KS IMO