falcndave

Hooper: How Much of a Priority is Signing Him?

291 posts in this topic

Hooper went from solid to strong in 2019. Across all stat categories on a per game basis, he is at the top of the 2nd tier. He compares well with both the TD leaders and the yardage leader. Additionally, he doesn't share the lead possession role for the team that guys like Andrews and Ertz have.

My opinion is we need to resign him IF he is willing to take a contract that reflects his value to the Falcions. My fear is that teams that lack a strong receiving core will drive up his price. Falcons are better with him, but we can't overpay considering our overall receiving talent.

autigerfan and Falcster like this

I know I’m in the minority, but I think we overestimate him some...he’s not explosive, average as a blocker. He is a good route runner and knows how to box out but most starting TE’s do.

who here thinks he is at the level of Waller, Ertz, Kittle...he’s more of a chain mover than a top 5 guy...I don’t think he should be given top billing

17 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Hooper went from solid to strong in 2019. Across all stat categories on a per game basis, he is at the top of the 2nd tier. He compares well with both the TD leaders and the yardage leader. Additionally, he doesn't share the lead possession role for the team that guys like Andrews and Ertz have.

My opinion is we need to resign him IF he is willing to take a contract that reflects his value to the Falcions. My fear is that teams that lack a strong receiving core will drive up his price. Falcons are better with him, but we can't overpay considering our overall receiving talent.

1.  TD is staying.  Since TD has been here Ryan and the offense has been priority #1.

2.  Hooper's agent can make an argument Hooper is the #2 TE in the NFL and my guess is will want him paid as such.

3.  George Kittle, (#1 TE in NFL), is going to be extended this offseason and that will drive Hooper's price up.

My guess is Hooper will cost about $10 million a year.

falcndave likes this

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

1.  TD is staying.  Since TD has been here Ryan and the offense has been priority #1.

2.  Hooper's agent can make an argument Hooper is the #2 TE in the NFL and my guess is will want him paid as such.

3.  George Kittle, (#1 TE in NFL), is going to be extended this offseason and that will drive Hooper's price up.

I don't think that one would help Hoop since Kittle was drafted in the 5th round as he himself was a 3rd rounder whose been in the league longer.

4 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I agree, and I wouldn't pay $10 mil. for him.  This team has enough weapons, it's time to get one more OL, and the rest of the focus should be on defense.

So far it looks like most are on the same page. DK tends to emphasize TEs. I'm hoping that knowledge will be in the minds of those negotiating with his agent. That said, I'd hesitate to give him $7m. Pass catchers we got.

PokerSteve likes this

8 minutes ago, Statick said:

I don't think that one would help Hoop since Kittle was drafted in the 5th round as he himself was a 3rd rounder whose been in the league longer.

Are you serious.  Have you seen what Kittle is making?

Kittle’s extension is going to reset the TE market.

You see this all the time with extensions.  Doesn’t matter where you were drafted.  When you break the bank every guy signing after you gets paid more than they would have before.

15 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

An easy rebuttal to that agent.  "If Hooper is #2 then who is #3?!" 

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Are you serious.  Have you seen what Kittle is making?

Kittle’s extension is going to reset the TE market.

You see this all the time with extensions.  Doesn’t matter where you were drafted.  When you break the bank every guy signing after you gets paid more than they would have before.

Yeah, I painfully recall the 49ers GM is giving out crazy extensions, especially with that Grappalo contract a couple of years ago.

17 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I agree, and I wouldn't pay $10 mil. for him.  This team has enough weapons, it's time to get one more OL, and the rest of the focus should be on defense.

One more OL?

The Falcons have 3 1st round draft picks and 3 high priced FAs.

When it comes to investing in the OL there’s not much more you can do.

The DLine on the other hand.  The Falcons need tons of help there.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that Hooper is an unrestricted free agent, there is some team out there with a ton of cap space that will offer him more than Atlanta can afford. I wonder if he'll even want to stay in Atlanta making less?

Edited by ThemDarnFalconsBoy!
Tim Mazetti likes this

He was leading all TE’s before his injury this season. He missed 3 games and still ended up top 5 in most categories. It’s a no brainer. You try to resign him. 

He wasn’t as explosive the past 3 games after his injury, but he is explosive.

He’s somewhere between overlooked and underrated. An argument could be made for either side. I do like the rapport that he’s built with Ryan though. Not sure another TE could come in and replicate that right away. Unless another receiver becomes a go to target I think it’s important to keep him. Of course only within reasonable means but still think we need to keep him. If teams blanket Julio like they do e need a reliable safety valve. 

Schwarzwald likes this

27 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

What’s the name of that backup we have, again? Let’s give him a shot. We can’t pay everyone 

Jaeden Graham. If they let Hooper go and put this guy in his spot, in two or three games peeps won't even remember losing Hooper was supposed to be this horrible disaster. lol

This is what I hate about the salary cap era. The league thrives on stars. A teams spends all the time and draft capital to get a star, and the cap robs them of him when he enters his prime. 

I hope we find a way to keep him. Time will tell, I guess. 

falcndave likes this

49 minutes ago, ki46dinah said:

I know I’m in the minority, but I think we overestimate him some...he’s not explosive, average as a blocker. He is a good route runner and knows how to box out but most starting TE’s do.

who here thinks he is at the level of Waller, Ertz, Kittle...he’s more of a chain mover than a top 5 guy...I don’t think he should be given top billing

Hilarious...

13 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Jaeden Graham. If they let Hooper go and put this guy in his spot, in two or three games peeps won't even remember losing Hooper was supposed to be this horrible disaster. lol

Graham obviously is the new shiny toy, but he more explosive of a player....you can see it in the routes he runs and the limited after the catch opp's.

Hoop can be tough to bring down if he has 10 yards of room to work with, but he is so painfully slow 

Emmitt and PokerSteve like this