We will be a losing team in 2020 no matter who our coach is with our schedule?

jlrfalcon

Since the NFC South. Every 4 years playing the AFC West division.

2004: 11-5, #2 seed, made NFC Championship, Vick’s best year

2008: 11-5, #5 seed, 1st year of Mike Smith, Matt Ryan, and Dimitroff era come outta no where

2012: 13-3, #1 seed, Matt Ryan gets his 1st playoff win, made NFC Championahip

2016: 11-5, #2 seed, Matt Ryan MVP, NFC Champions, made Super Bowl

2020: ?????????????

All of these special years were coming off mediocre years when hardly any Falcon fan had any hope coming in.

For example, being 5-11 in 2003 and Reeves getting fired.

The Falcons disastrous 4-12 Petrino campaign in 2007 and missing the playoffs 3 straight years.

Matt Ryan’s 3rd straight playoff loss in our mediocre 10-6 campaign in 2011.

Missing the playoffs 3 straight years 2013-2015.

Now this time, back to back 7-9 with Dan Quinn and everyone believes 2020 will be no different. The Falcons 7-9 in 2019 had way more quality wins than 7-9 in 2018 for sure. Ending our preseason losing streak and our AFC losing streak both against the Jaguars. Finishing strong 6-2 after going 1-7 the first half of the year. I say, this carries into 2020 and the Falcons go 11-5 rather we win our division or make a wildcard. 

The Panthers (except for 2008) and the Saints have played horribly with the AFC West on their schedule since 2004. 

29 minutes ago, WalkingTheDawg said:

The last time the Falcons had the supposed toughest schedule in football they went to the super bowl. 

It’s funny how the last several seasons, the Falcons have played worse with easier schedules like 2015 or 2018, but we’ve played better with tougher schedules like 2016 or 2017.

The home schedule is manageable. 6-2 with that is possible. Will it happen? No idea.

And the road schedule? It has some tough parts, but a few of those teams have a lot of uncertainty. The Chargers May have a new QB... the Cowboys are overrated as usual based on what they did 25 years ago. The Chiefs are legit and the Vikings and Packers are solid too. 

Still though a lot can change between now and next year 

3 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Our 2020 opponents:

Home:

Buccaneers, Panthers, Saints, Bears, Lions, Raiders, Broncos, Seahawks

Away:

Buccaneers, Panthers, Saints, Packers, Vikings, Chargers, Chiefs, Cowboys

Maybe we go 3-3 against our NFC South guys, but the away games at the Packers, Chiefs, and Vikings are probably losses as well as the Seahawks at home.  The only easy wins are maybe the Lions and Raiders at home.

I guess we can at least say we don't have to play the Eagles next year, but do we ever have an easy schedule?

All those teams in red above were 8-8 or worse this year.

You can never tell what they might be next year but that doesn't look daunting to me right now.

What really bugs me is that the Saints always end up with an easier schedule than us no matter how each team finishes.  Their opponents:

Saints:

Home: Buccaneers, Falcons, Panthers, Packers, Vikings, Chiefs, Chargers, 49ers

Away: Buccaneers, Falcons, Panthers, Lions, Bears, Broncos, Raiders, Eagles

We have to play the current playoff teams Panthers, Vikings, Chiefs on the road but they get them all at home in their realm.  They get all the easy teams on the road.

The 49ers at home compared to the Seahawks at home for us is about even and the Eagles away compared to the Cowboys away for us is also about even.

I also realize that things can change in the offseason but does anybody really expect the Lions or Broncos or Raiders to be playoff teams next year or doubt that the Chiefs or Vikings or Packers likely will be?

I think we'll make the playoffs next year.. Blank made this a possibility by keeping things in order and letting this team continue to try and rebuild and have learned from this years mistakes and have learned what our major needs are.. ... And hopefully we'll go out and fill all those needs in FAcy and in the Draft.. Sure hoping for the best Draft in the History of this Franchise ...  

Really thankful that AB is a smart business man,, Keeping things in order and allowing the Coaches to learn and see their needs,, thus allowing them to go out and get what we need in the off season.. Just like I saw this team make a huge jump at mid season after learning what did not work on the O#,, And finding what did work,, If this had not taken place ,,  No way would AB have kept this FO another year.. But I see him as a very smart Owner and I'm glad we have him as our Owner,,  He don't make moves on a fling! But does what would be best for this Franchise .. Thank you AB.. I am your biggest fan..

11 hours ago, Tandy said:

Not really.   Every other team in our Division will have the same schedule except the two games where we play against a team that finished in the same place as we finished.   

The thing I have noticed is that it seems we get away games against the toughest opponents.   I know it's rotation, so it's just perception - but I swear it seems the Saints get the toughest opponents at home, lol!

I'd rather play at Dallas than at Seattle. What really stinks is we have one home game in London. Hopefully at GB will be early in the schedule.

12 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

Is it me,, or do we seem to always get the hardest schedule every year.. I was kind of thinking maybe this time we may get a break,, NOT! This looks harder than this year... I don't think any other team has a schedule as hard as ours is next year,, And I felt the same way this year.. <_<

You find it harder because of 

SAINTS = Brees 2x 

That said, if our offensive line plays the way it has been all year for past few years.

We will be 7-9 or 8-8 best.

Unless, we draft a Q.B like Trevor Lawrence or Tua and expect them to extend plays as a rusher.

17 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

You find it harder because of 

SAINTS = Brees 2x 

That said, if our offensive line plays the way it has been all year for past few years.

Unless, we draft a Q.B like Trevor Lawrence or Tua and expect them to extend plays as a rusher.

Well, I do think that AB will do what's best, and he is already proving that IMO.  So you think we will end up about like we did this year?  I don't think so.. Not trying to think with my heart , but with my head.. I really believe we will improve by at least 30%, So I do think by continuing to allow This team to stay together,, and with a good Solid Draft,, I do think we will make the playoffs next year. And I do believe that. 

If Blank had cleaned house,, Next year would probably end up about like this season. JMO.  Because if we were getting New HC and help,, It would take them at least a year to figure out what this team needs,,  That' how I see it.:o

28 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

You find it harder because 

SAINTS = Brees 2x 

You got that right,, I hated it that we drafted our OL,, hopefully they will be ready by next season,, I knew it was a mistake when they did it.. now fans will be saying we needed the two OL, yes we did , but not Rookies,, we should have gotten proven vets so as to allow Ryan time to happen every game,, Not just the last half of the season after we have lost so many games that we'll have to wait until next year to maybe make a run.. If we had gotten proven vets, I truly believe we could have made the playoffs. Hoping we draft a DE, DT , And a LB with our first three picks. Maybe a CB with the 4th rounder. 

We go from let’s lay down like quitters for our last 8 games of 2019, to this scared, defeatist gem of projected horror for our 2020 season.

I’ve refrained from posting since this thread emerged while waiting for someone to step up & ask WTF is going on these days?  

Are there any men out there willing to step up & project some machismo, intestinal fortitude & backbone?  

I say we go out there next year & kick some ***!!  Is there even an ounce of testosterone left in our young men today?

My Gosh it’s fkg incredible!!  Yeah I guess I’ll play the mean old a-hole again.  But I tried to hold back I promise. :D

By all means please carry on with the sniffling.