Official NFL Playoff Thread

AUTiger7222

Just now, Rings said:

Tom Brady's cap hit was 5mil more last year than Ryan's and they won the Super Bowl.  

His cap hit for one year doesn't matter. When you sign players to multi year contracts you don't just look at the cap overview for one singular year.

2 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

He's going to make serious bank as well as carry the load he drops on the chiefs cap space if he wants to win one again. He has the tools and intangibles to possibly pull it off but it's always a tall task in this league. He's a guy that you'd feel more comfortable paying the big bucks because he's such a great talent.

The key isn't to just simply pay a QB that puts up great stats just because its so sought after to have an above average qb to be the face of the franchise. The real key is to build a good team and have the money/resources to do it. 

From what I've learned over the years is that the salary cap doesn't mean much.

Rodgers has gotten paid 2 or 3 times and is still going to the playoffs. I think Wilson is currently the 1st or 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL. Brees has made it deep into the playoffs many years despite getting paid.

Paying a QB and having a good team is very doable.

Just now, Jerz #Quinning said:

His cap hit for one year doesn't matter. When you sign players to multi year contracts you don't just look at the cap overview for one singular year.

Fair, although with the way one year contracts work, it does somewhat.  They paid him more and they scored 13 points and won a Super Bowl.  Ryan scored 28 and they lost.  The difference between any year is still half of the cap hit Beasley had this year.  The difference is what we paid Carpenter or Brown.  I know you aren't a fan of Ryan, that's fine.  Regardless of who the QB is, if you have a top half of the league QB I believe you pay them.  You don't sign guards who have never been good or bring back a situational pass rusher who can't beat his blocks or sign a RB to a big second contract.

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

From what I've learned over the years is that the salary cap doesn't mean much.

Rodgers has gotten paid 2 or 3 times and is still going to the playoffs. I think Wilson is currently the 1st or 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL. Brees has made it deep into the playoffs many years despite getting paid.

Paying a QB and having a good team is very doable.

Salary cap means a whole lot in this league don't let the optimistic bunch fool you. It's all about managing it well and making strategic calculated moves. Going balls to the wall every year with 2 highly paid all stars is not a good strategy.

Just now, Jerz #Quinning said:

Salary cap means a whole lot in this league don't let the optimistic bunch fool you. It's all about managing it well and making strategic calculated moves. Going balls to the wall every year with 2 highly paid all stars is not a good strategy.

Good franchises know how to make it work. Even if they have to sacrifice losing a good player or two.

Just now, stizz said:

Nah. How many assistant coaches in the league have commercials?

You're right, how dare we celebrate diversity in a league that owners, executives and coaches are primarily made up of white men.  We have to have a rule just to give one black coach an interview for every head coach spot because it's so bad.  I think the best person should get the job, but that isn't the case in the NFL, a lot of sexist/racists in high spots making decisions.  So, I for one, like the commercial because it shows we are making some progress.