My Final Take: 2019 Record, Trends, & future

stingbee

This was a frustrating season no doubt. We all high expectations for this team. But, what we envisioned, it didn’t turnout that way. The First half of the season can be blamed on the following:

The Cons:

Coaching: DQ taking too much responsibilities (he overloaded himself and the schemes and play calling was impacted). The defense was giving up on big plays and not on the same page.  This is why we were one of the most penalized team during the 1st half.

Neal: Losing him again didn’t helped the situation. He was a big loss for the secondary and we lost the enforcer of the defense. 

OL Miscues: OL- the loss of our 1 round picks in the first game and preseason missed up the OL protocol and expectations. The 2 FAs were okey, but they had injuries and inconsistencies. 

Running Game: The running game was deeply impacted and Freeman was slow and out of sync. The OL blocking issues affected not the running lanes limiting the running game. 

Pros:

We blossomed as a team in the 2nd half of the season with major shake-up in our coaching staff—DQ relinquishing his duties was the biggest multiplier and making some changes to the personal in terms of the positions.

Big Wins: The road wins at Saints, 49ers, Panthers ( they were 5-4 when we met them the first time) and even Bucs on the road was important wins and set the foundation for next season. The team also beat a decent Philly team on a Monday Night game. 

Road Record: The team finished at 4-4 record via the road games— which should have been 5-3 (Arizona game). 

Close games: We should have beaten Seattle, Arizona and Colts due how we played in the 2nd half. We fought in the 2nd half with a good chance of winning those games. 

Division Record: We went 4-2 in our division and we could have been 5-1 if we had all our weapons against the Saints at home on offense. We kept the game close, but we were missing Julio, Hooper, and Freeman. Matt Ryan only has his #2 target with Calvin R. Plus, Sanu was gone as well. 

The Defense: The Defense really blossomed during the 2nd half of the season finishing in top 10. We caused more turnovers, interceptions, and sacks during that time. 

The Offense: The Offense scored more points in the 2nd half of season. The OL played much better and the running game started to trend as well. 

Summary: The 2019 Falcons were better than the 2018 version in terms of wins against tough teams and how they finished. They finished the season on high note especially on the defensive side of the game. These two losing seasons set the foundation for the Falcons for 2020. The coaching and the team learned a lot and they became more resilient and stronger. These two 7-9 seasons should propel the Falcons to enjoy 3-4 seasons of winning football. We have the talent and the pieces to move forward. I believe we will do well in the upcoming draft and we have been good with our draft picks. I see some more pieces added to the defense and OL need help. 

10 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Lets face it we will be 7-9 again next year have another wasted year and AB will finally fire Quinn and TD next season but Ryan and JJ will be a year older having to go through a new coach staff.

Nice run on sentence Gomer. I'm pretty optimistic tbh. Seems like a lot got figured out. If we lose DK I'll be genuinely excited.

10 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Lets face it we will be 7-9 again next year have another wasted year and AB will finally fire Quinn and TD next season but Ryan and JJ will be a year older having to go through a new coach staff.

You are what we call a true pessimist my man— we saw some great trends in the last few games. These wins showed that this team played for each other and they kept on fighting. You have to give them kudos for such a major turnaround from where they started. 

1 hour ago, stingbee said:

You are what we call a true pessimist my man— we saw some great trends in the last few games. These wins showed that this team played for each other and they kept on fighting. You have to give them kudos for such a major turnaround from where they started. 

We saw the same thing last year during the same period of time. Nothing carried over to this year, no momentum no nothing. I mean did everyone forget about 2018?

3 hours ago, MAD597 said:

We saw the same thing last year during the same period of time. Nothing carried over to this year, no momentum no nothing. I mean did everyone forget about 2018?

This version finished on high note on defense and offense. They beat the two top teams in the NFC on the road. This is a much better team than the 2018. The 2018 had major holes in the defense. The 2019 version defense became a top 10 defense. This is what you are missing and the Falcons might have found their formula on how to run their defense. 

18 minutes ago, stingbee said:

This version finished on high note on defense and offense. They beat the two top teams in the NFC on the road. This is a much better team than the 2018. The 2018 had major holes in the defense. The 2019 version defense became a top 10 defense. This is what you are missing and the Falcons might have found their formula on how to run their defense. 

Its fools gold, hope you enjoy a 3rd 7-9 season in a row