Rich McKay thinks preseason matters

KRUNKuno

I can say, whatever we've done the last 3 years in preseason needs to be undone because we seem to come out unprepared during the onset of the season.. Rusty and slow is what teams have come to expect from the Falcons the first few games.. And it definitely shows, its not inaccurate 

4 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

If I can find the audio then I’ll post it.  It was in an interview with Archer 92.9 just played.  Just thought it was an interesting take considering how many here feel like preseason means nothing.

:munch:

Good start IMO.   I would play the starters 3 quarters every preseason game.  Blow teams out ...seems silly, but it builds confidence heading into Week 1

Thank god, Quinns idea of pre season being a vacation has cost us the last two seasons. I'd rather have players get injured during pre season when we have more time to adjust then a ton of injuries at the start of the season. Also our team looking like we haven't even practiced together is a serious issue putting us behind when starting the season

50 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Good start IMO.   I would play the starters 3 quarters every preseason game.  Blow teams out ...seems silly, but it builds confidence heading into Week 1

Bro I'd be pushing the limits of the CBA from the very first OTA. 

Old school Oklahomas, you name it. The softness needs to stop.

I think this past season opener should have been a HUGE wake up call to Quinn.

Use the preseason games to prepare for the season... because those games count.

And let’s not forget one thing.  Quinn had FIVE preseason games to work with.

And the defense came out looking like they had never practiced before.

55 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Confident until a few key contributors are out before week one.

it can “matter” without key players in the game too long, just game plan a bit more than Q seems to. There is a reason pretty much no team plays starters long and follows a similar playing time agenda for PS games.

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

But, but, but all our starters would then come down with season-ending injuries before the first regular season game. It's inevitable! We must not fall into that trap! :lol:

5 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

But, but, but all our starters would then come down with season-ending injuries before the first regular season game. It's inevitable! We must not fall into that trap! :lol:

Next man up. Open the season balls to the wall and keep the pedal to the medal. The last two seasons we haven't. That killed us.

1 hour ago, R_The_Great said:

Again what has Rich Mckay done?   Was he part of the 2002 Bucs?  If so, can we have their defense?

I'm gonna let you do the research on McKay's Buccaneer trench work. Pretty impressive.

He added Abe, Rod Coleman, Babineaux, Grady and Chauncey to our Dline.

Plus Clabo, Dahl and Blalock to the Oline.

Also brought in Roddy, Grimes, DHall, Boley, Milloy, Norwood, Snelling, Nic, Weems and more.

In just four years bro.

What in the world would Dimi have done without those players?

He struggled to replace them.

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

Yep. We need to figure out what all those other teams are doing to save their starters' health but not look like they just stepped out of bed for the first quarter of the season like we do.

Game plan better, coach it like a regular season game. Gives coaches a tuneup on their schemes and if a starter goes down, reserves have some real experience with schemed assignments.

the whole “ don’t want to show my hand in preseason” is BS. Not much new in schemes these days, just how plays are called situationally.

I don't know that many people said "preseason means nothing", many people have however said "preseason WINS mean nothing", which is still true.  I'm sure McKay's quote was around the importance of the prep, the playing time, the on field practice, the evaluation, the reps, the chemistry, the communication, adjusting to the speed, reacting to what the other team is throwing at you, getting an accurate reflection of strengths and weaknesses vs another team...all of that matters as it carries into the regular season, the one thing that does not is the win / loss record, which is why only fans care about that.

With that said, I do agree we need to show up differently during preseason, practice more of what we are going to do in the regular season, iron out the kinks.  I agree with @1989Fan, the whole "cant show your hand" thing is really dumb, they have years of tape of Quinn's defense and Dirk's offense...no one is going to be shocked week 1 by what they see.