Arthur Blank must think we’re fools.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Arthur Blank...I have never bad mouthed this gentlemen.  He’s a standup guy and what he’s done outside of sports for this city is truly the work of a man that believes there’s more to this life than o

+1 just for spacing between paragraphs 

It isn’t “facts” at all, majority of what you said is speculation based off of press conferences and hearsay.  We have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.

FYI, they're playing Blank's interview with Arch right now on 92.9.  He said "this is not based on blind trust or blind faith."  Blank took this decision very seriously, as he always does.

I criticize him for his involvement in football operations, but I do respect the fact that he is sober and considered in his decision-making.  He doesn't do anything lightly.  And he shouldn't listen to the fans.  As little as Blank knows about football operations, most fans know far less.

Another thing he just said -- "I don't have the football knowledge that they (Quinn and TD) have or that Rich has."  He's learning lessons.

13 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

The OP makes legit points.  Ultimately though, I think there wasn’t much of a choice to be made.  The salary cap for 2020 has been obliterated, and we’re starting to rack up debt in a major way on 2021.

Blank is hoping against hope that this past 7 game stretch isn’t a mirage.  TBD, but we’ll see how committed Blank is to this regime if they resign Hooper.

I know I'm in the minority but really believe re-signing Hooper is a mistake.   They should have traded his *** before he got hurt and "sold high" on him.   Hooper is not a gamebreaker in the way Kelce/Ertz/Kittle are - he simply isn't in that elite status and Falcons already have two legit "#1" receivers.   If we could have gotten a 2nd rounder for him, Dimitroff should have pulled the trigger.   Paying Hoop what the market will bare will continue to hamstring this team w/ too much invested in the offense.

20 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

The OP makes legit points.  Ultimately though, I think there wasn’t much of a choice to be made.  The salary cap for 2020 has been obliterated, and we’re starting to rack up debt in a major way on 2021.

Blank is hoping against hope that this past 7 game stretch isn’t a mirage.  TBD, but we’ll see how committed Blank is to this regime if they resign Hooper.

Moreover, you don't let a coach go w/o a replacement target that you know you can get.   Who is it?  Who is this person or persons that you are handing off the keys when you pull the string on Quinn/Dimitroff?   You better have a dayum good idea - otherwise - it actually CAN get worse.

Nobody believes it can get worse - but it certainly can.   You aren't playing w/ "house money" by firing DQ/TD but a lot of people have that "it cannot get any worse" attitude.   The odds are greater that it will get worse than get better - all you have to do is look at how quickly new coaches get fired to figure this out.

On 12/19/2019 at 2:11 PM, athell said:

Hurry_Up_And_Format

My goodness

25 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I don't think it an entire coincidence the Falcons have regressed since the move from the GA dome to the Mercedes stadium.   While I don't believe in magic in a building/structure itself - the PSL's and the empty seats have made it where the Falcons have no advantage playing home games from the crowd.   While just ONE factor in a host of many - this factor goes largely w/o comment from TATF other than the basic fan complaints - it does affect the team as well.

I have only been a fan with season tickets for 12 years, but to claim that we have regressed since moving to the new stadium does not feel correct. We had some truly lousy years in the Dome even during my time there, and certainly had a long history of failure before I started going to games. We have made the playoffs 1 out of 3 years (at least as good as we have done historically), and probably will finish 7-9 for the last 2 years. While 2016 was obviously a very good year, we only were 5-3 at home (regular season), not what I would call a huge home-field advantage.

While there are many empty seats, that is not due to the seats not being sold. Virtually all of them are sold by virtue of the PSLs. If there are empty seats, it is because the fans choose not to go. That is not a problem with the stadium, it is a problem with the fans. If fans are unhappy with the appearance on TV, they should go to the games. Tickets are available on the secondary market for very reasonable prices, and the organization doesn't rip you off with exorbitant food prices when you get there. I go to every game and never regret it. The key to having a home field advantage is for fans to go to the games; if we don't have the advantage, it's on us.

11 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

FYI, they're playing Blank's interview with Arch right now on 92.9.  He said "this is not based on blind trust or blind faith."  Blank took this decision very seriously, as he always does.

I criticize him for his involvement in football operations, but I do respect the fact that he is sober and considered in his decision-making.  He doesn't do anything lightly.  And he shouldn't listen to the fans.  As little as Blank knows about football operations, most fans know far less.

Another thing he just said -- "I don't have the football knowledge that they (Quinn and TD) have or that Rich has."  He's learning lessons.

I was just about to post that I appreciated Blank’s interview with Archer.  I don’t always agree with the direction that the Atlanta media takes with asking the tough questions, but I do think Archer got some good insight out of Blank.

1 minute ago, esmithidoc said:

I have only been a fan with season tickets for 12 years, but to claim that we have regressed since moving to the new stadium does not feel correct. We had some truly lousy years in the Dome even during my time there, and certainly had a long history of failure before I started going to games. We have made the playoffs 1 out of 3 years (at least as good as we have done historically), and probably will finish 7-9 for the last 2 years. While 2016 was obviously a very good year, we only were 5-3 at home (regular season), not what I would call a huge home-field advantage.

While there are many empty seats, that is not due to the seats not being sold. Virtually all of them are sold by virtue of the PSLs. If there are empty seats, it is because the fans choose not to go. That is not a problem with the stadium, it is a problem with the fans. If fans are unhappy with the appearance on TV, they should go to the games. Tickets are available on the secondary market for very reasonable prices, and the organization doesn't rip you off with exorbitant food prices when you get there. I go to every game and never regret it. The key to having a home field advantage is for fans to go to the games; if we don't have the advantage, it's on us.

even in bad years at GA Dome - I never saw the dome that empty in the modern Matt Ryan era.   Like I said before and I stand by it - this is one of many factors.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

even in bad years at GA Dome - I never saw the dome that empty in the modern Matt Ryan era.   Like I said before and I stand by it - this is one of many factors.

If you go to games, then this doesn't apply to you, but for fans to complain about empty stadiums and loss of home field advantage, and yet not go to games, is childish whining. It's a lot like complaining about politicians and not bothering to vote.

2 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Arthur Blank...I have never bad mouthed this gentlemen.  He’s a standup guy and what he’s done outside of sports for this city is truly the work of a man that believes there’s more to this life than oneself.

HOWEVER...

With this decision Blank feels like he’s the smartest man in the room, and that we, the paying fans, are misinformed.

1.  Blank talks about having continuity.  Continuity is all well and good when it isn’t inconsistent continuity.  Dan Quinn has shown he is a coach of big highs and huge lows.  6-2 to 2-6, 28-3, 1-7 to 7-9 or whatever, last year when the excuse was our team was injured yet you see a coach like Doug Pederson or Mike Tomlin make lemon meringue pie out of the lemons they’ve been dealt.  People point to Sean Payton, but guess what, SEAN PAYTON WON A SUPER BOWL!  Had Quinn not blown 28-3 then he could have all of the extra chances without any backlash.  Instead we got the worst sports collapse ever documented, and excuses to follow.  What about Tennessee’s consistency with Jeff Fisher?  Dallas’s consistency with Jason Garrett?  Consistency is only as good as the results that come from it.

2.  Blank talks about turning the season around after being 1-7...well how did we get to 1-7 in the first place?  Are we not holding this regime accountable for their flaws, or are we just glossing over glaring deficiencies to keep about a good ol’ boy status quo?  I continue to say that this is the reason the players even love Quinn so much...because they know they will not be held accountable for their mistakes.  They get claps and cheers when they come back to the sideline no matter what happens.  They do not have to play at a high level consistently because their coach doesn’t coach at a high level consistently.  He doesn’t demand greatness, but rather finds joy in being a motivational guy that builds men to go out into the world and be great men.

3.  This shifting of the chain of command...once again... now TD and Quinn report to good ol Rich McKay.  Is this supposed to be why we are not consistent?  Why is it so difficult for Blank to let these retreads go?  Why is it always a change in title rather than just letting these men go?  This again is Blank feeling as if he’s the smartest man in the room.  He genuinely believes he has the right group of guys and continues to try to sell us on these guys being good for this team.

The SOLE REASON we win games is because of two people...Matt Ryan and Julio Jones.  I’d love to see how great of a coach Quinn would be without Matt.  Could he lead them to a super bowl like Pederson?  Could he continue to be in playoff talk like Tomlin?  Matt and Julio are the guys that were winning games before Quinn and can win them in spite and of Quinn.  You tell me about that time you said “man, Dan Quinn really won that game for us”.  The success of this team doesn’t ride on Dan Quinn, and as we’ve seen with a coach like Boy Wonder, if you get a guy in here that will PUSH the players as he pushed and demanded excellence from this offense then high results will come of it.  

The purpose of a coach isn’t to be a cheerleader, but to enhance a team.  I see no way that Quinn enhances this team, and Blank is trying to sell us on Quinn being something more than what he is.  He thinks we’re fools, but when his stadium is at 30% capacity again maybe...just maybe the light will turn on in his billionaire brain.

Not a rant, just facts.

Quinn-- up 28-3 in the SuperBowl with 17 minutes left and loses! That would have been the tell for most people----that Quinn would never win it all in this league ------you blow a 25 point lead like that with that little time remaining and also blow a chance at end of game with 4:47 remaining and up 28-20 to save face with a FG after the Julio catch (2nd & 8 at NE 49 (4:47 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass deep right to J.Jones to NE 22 for 27 yards.) - simply run it on the next 3 plays and make NE use time outs or we run down the clock and kick a FG and go up 11 points and now its 31-20 with anywhere from 3 minutes to 4 minutes and change remaining.  You can try to blame Shannahan for not calling 3 run plays after that catch but ultimately the head coach (Quinn) can over rule and mandate what we are running. The rest is history.  Lets also remember that Quinn blew an NFC championship at home against the SF 49ers as well (after being in the lead for most of the game) that could have put us in another SuperBowl.   

Edited by JG2008
1 minute ago, esmithidoc said:

If you go to games, then this doesn't apply to you, but for fans to complain about empty stadiums and loss of home field advantage, and yet not go to games, is childish whining. It's a lot like complaining about politicians and not bothering to vote.

I don't go to many games anymore - had season tix from 2008-2013 - then had to spend more money on family and less on hobbies/personal interests.

I am not complaining - observing and commenting isn't the same as complaining.   You can say lack of fans in stadium is a REASON for lack of home field advantage w/o being a complainer - so I reject your comments above emphatically.

I really dont see that big of a difference between MBS and the GA Dome, not for the increase we took. The open end of the end zone is nice but I think the Falcons are nothing more than a tax write off for Blank at this point. You make money on your soccer team, you write off those gains with the losses from your football team. Blank clearly cares more about the soccer team now. The way things are handled are status quo, like he is happy being middle of the road. 

2 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

I appreciate the insight and the write up. You aren't wrong about Quinn at all. I challenge your theory on Blank though. Because if Blank is handing over duties to McKay on being in charge of operations, wouldn't that suggest that Blank is actually NOT calling himself the smartest man in the room? To me, that actually tells me that he recognizes his own mistakes and is willing to step aside and put trust in somebody with a higher football IQ. You think Jerry Jones would do this? I actually somewhat admire the decision. It shows that Blank trusts his guys and is willing to take some ownership of the failure.

30 minutes ago, esmithidoc said:

Which makes a difference, but doesn't matter. They spent a billion and a half on a stadium that treats the actual game experience like an after-thought.

Everybody is up wandering around exploring the entertainment and eating the cheap food. That's great, but empty seats can't cheer for the home team, regardless of whether they've been paid for or not, or whether the fans are actually there at the stadium or not, and without vocal fan support, you have no home-field advantage.

43 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

This is big. That should mean a lot to the fans honestly.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

I know I'm in the minority but really believe re-signing Hooper is a mistake.   They should have traded his *** before he got hurt and "sold high" on him.   Hooper is not a gamebreaker in the way Kelce/Ertz/Kittle are - he simply isn't in that elite status and Falcons already have two legit "#1" receivers.   If we could have gotten a 2nd rounder for him, Dimitroff should have pulled the trigger.   Paying Hoop what the market will bare will continue to hamstring this team w/ too much invested in the offense.

Jaeden Graham. Can do everything Hooper can at way less than half the potential cost.

7 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Jaeden Graham. Can do everything Hooper can at way less than half the potential cost.

Imagine with Falcons being cap strapped worse than any team in the league but with a 2nd rounder for both Sanu AND Hoop - PLUS - you don’t have to pay the high dollar contract to Hoop further exacerbating the salary cap issues.

I like Jaeden Graham a lot.  He probably is a step down - at least initially- but he is plenty good enough to be a starter in the NFL.

3 hours ago, shanep said:

in this case ,Continuity also includes continuing to play on national NFL tv showing a 70 % empty stadium. And it's gonna get worse

As an out of state fan with Sunday Ticket, I've been watching this team for thirty years on tv, and the local fanbase has never...NEVER...made a good showing to a national audience save a few outlier glory years.  Don't fool yourself, it's not winning or losing that fills the stadium.  the local fanbase just sucks, and no coaching change or not is going to change that.  Period.

59 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I appreciate the insight and the write up. You aren't wrong about Quinn at all. I challenge your theory on Blank though. Because if Blank is handing over duties to McKay on being in charge of operations, wouldn't that suggest that Blank is actually NOT calling himself the smartest man in the room? To me, that actually tells me that he recognizes his own mistakes and is willing to step aside and put trust in somebody with a higher football IQ. You think Jerry Jones would do this? I actually somewhat admire the decision. It shows that Blank trusts his guys and is willing to take some ownership of the failure.

I don’t believe Blank to be a meddling owner as many other do.  He’s nowhere near a Jerry Jones as far as personnel decision making and IMO has always tried to do what’s best for the team.  However, there’s a distinction here in that this regime that Blank has decided to keep has had many chances to produce, but has continually and oftentimes embarrassingly come up short.

Blank doesn’t hurt the team.  Saying someone should be a lifelong Falcon isn’t a bad thing.  Where I feel like he thinks he’s the smartest man in the room is when he gives more credence to the back half of this season rather than the 1st half and using that as the reason why this squad will be back next year.  He says continuity, but what happens if this same staff starts poorly next year?  You can’t say continuity when it’s more than likely conditional. 

20 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I don’t believe Blank to be a meddling owner as many other do.  He’s nowhere near a Jerry Jones as far as personnel decision making and IMO has always tried to do what’s best for the team.  However, there’s a distinction here in that this regime that Blank has decided to keep has had many chances to produce, but has continually and oftentimes embarrassingly come up short.

Blank doesn’t hurt the team.  Saying someone should be a lifelong Falcon isn’t a bad thing.  Where I feel like he thinks he’s the smartest man in the room is when he gives more credence to the back half of this season rather than the 1st half and using that as the reason why this squad will be back next year.  He says continuity, but what happens if this same staff starts poorly next year?  You can’t say continuity when it’s more than likely conditional. 

This sounds more like you simply just disagree with retaining Quinn. Not that Blank thinks he is the smartest man in the room 

8 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

This sounds more like you simply just disagree with retaining Quinn. Not that Blank thinks he is the smartest man in the room 

I don’t agree with Quinn being back, but I can also say that Blank trying to sell continuity when it’s conditional is undermining the fans for sure.