KRUNKuno

Arthur Blank must think we’re fools.

78 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, esmithidoc said:

If you go to games, then this doesn't apply to you, but for fans to complain about empty stadiums and loss of home field advantage, and yet not go to games, is childish whining. It's a lot like complaining about politicians and not bothering to vote.

Just because you’re making excuses for the mediocrity we see on the field and accept it doesn’t mean that we have to. I’m a grown man with a family, but I’m not going to pay my hard-earned heavily-taxed dollars to continue seeing that s***. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I don't think it an entire coincidence the Falcons have regressed since the move from the GA dome to the Mercedes stadium.   While I don't believe in magic in a building/structure itself - the PSL's and the empty seats have made it where the Falcons have no advantage playing home games from the crowd.   While just ONE factor in a host of many - this factor goes largely w/o comment from TATF other than the basic fan complaints - it does affect the team as well.

Good point GD.  Well, considering how well they played on the road the last part of this season, if they can continue it through a full '16 road games' next season, I won't have any complaints, at least for next season and hopefully start filling it up again in 2021... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

I really dont see that big of a difference between MBS and the GA Dome, not for the increase we took. The open end of the end zone is nice but I think the Falcons are nothing more than a tax write off for Blank at this point. You make money on your soccer team, you write off those gains with the losses from your football team. Blank clearly cares more about the soccer team now. The way things are handled are status quo, like he is happy being middle of the road. 

Falcons are not losing money. For better or worse for fans, AB still has made a fantastic investment in the Falcons. Financial returns not the same as wins and losses on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stlouisfalcon said:

Just because you’re making excuses for the mediocrity we see on the field and accept it doesn’t mean that we have to. I’m a grown man with a family, but I’m not going to pay my hard-earned heavily-taxed dollars to continue seeing that s***. 

LOL, cheering for and supporting your team even when they are not champions is the definition of being a fan. If I only supported them when they were successful, I would be ridiculed for being only a bandwagon fan. Obviously you can do what you want, but there isn't any special virtue in only being a fan when they are doing great. Football is just entertainment; if you aren't entertained then you probably should find other hobbies.

Sell The Team, Art likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Which makes a difference, but doesn't matter. They spent a billion and a half on a stadium that treats the actual game experience like an after-thought.

Everybody is up wandering around exploring the entertainment and eating the cheap food. That's great, but empty seats can't cheer for the home team, regardless of whether they've been paid for or not, or whether the fans are actually there at the stadium or not, and without vocal fan support, you have no home-field advantage.

For me the game experience is actually much better in the new stadium. Beautiful views of the game from all over the stadium, availability of standing room only areas that are actually quite good for people who can't afford tickets, much better food and drink choices that are reasonably priced, a noticeable improvement in the attitude of stadium workers (I am amazed and grateful at how friendly and helpful they are compared with the old Dome employees), awesome video board to be able to actually see replays, low-incline ramps for people who are in wheelchairs or have difficulty negotiating stairs or escalators, wi-fi that actually works in the stadium to be able to follow injuries, other game scores and fantasy performances across the league, and MUCH better club seating for those who choose it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I don't go to many games anymore - had season tix from 2008-2013 - then had to spend more money on family and less on hobbies/personal interests.

I am not complaining - observing and commenting isn't the same as complaining.   You can say lack of fans in stadium is a REASON for lack of home field advantage w/o being a complainer - so I reject your comments above emphatically.

Sorry, no insult intended.  My observation is that many on these boards complain about fans not going to games...then don't go to games. I never felt that we had a great home field advantage in the old stadium either.

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do people seriously think Blank built Home Depot into one of the biggest franchises in the world by firing his management team every single time things didn't go exactly according to plan?

From what I see constantly posted on this message board I can only guess that most of you must not have ever served in a capacity of being in charge of others.

Success doesn't come from making rash, emotional decisions... it comes from gaining experience & maintaining a positive environment that allows people to be put in a position to use their skills & grow.

Falconcheff and AUTiger7222 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, esmithidoc said:

LOL, cheering for and supporting your team even when they are not champions is the definition of being a fan. If I only supported them when they were successful, I would be ridiculed for being only a bandwagon fan. Obviously you can do what you want, but there isn't any special virtue in only being a fan when they are doing great. Football is just entertainment; if you aren't entertained then you probably should find other hobbies.

Nope, I only cheer for one team and one team only, and that’s my Falcons. I’ve done so for 41 years and have dealt with the pain. I’m sure you love them just like I do, but we differ on how. I won’t tell you how to spend your money or diminish your loyalty as a fan. It’s be great if the Falcons wanted to commit to winning as much as we commit to to being faithful fans. But like I said, I’m not spending my money to see that s*** on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, stlouisfalcon said:

Nope, I only cheer for one team and one team only, and that’s my Falcons. I’ve done so for 41 years and have dealt with the pain. I’m sure you love them just like I do, but we differ on how. I won’t tell you how to spend your money or diminish your loyalty as a fan. It’s be great if the Falcons wanted to commit to winning as much as we commit to to being faithful fans. But like I said, I’m not spending my money to see that s*** on the field.

This is exactly why the fan base is labeled fair weather and ranked as one of the worst fan bases in the NFL.  Along for the ride during the good times, no where to be found when things aren’t going well.  I flew down from Ohio to see a game this year and do so every two years, good or bad.  Wish I could make it to more but it’s hard when it turns into a big trip and stuff.

 

https://thesportsdrop.com/articles/ranking-every-nfl-fan-base/32/

 

24. Atlanta FalconsImages

There’s just no denying it: Atlanta is a great sports city… in terms of college sports and baseball. Want to talk about the Braves? You’ll have plenty of people to chat with. Have something to say about the University of Georgia? You can’t go 10 feet without finding a diehard Bulldogs fan.

But the Atlanta Falcons? Save for a few niche fans, they’re much more of a passing fare in the city: when they’re doing well, everyone cares, but when they’re not, nobody really cares about the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I know I'm in the minority but really believe re-signing Hooper is a mistake.   They should have traded his *** before he got hurt and "sold high" on him.   Hooper is not a gamebreaker in the way Kelce/Ertz/Kittle are - he simply isn't in that elite status and Falcons already have two legit "#1" receivers.   If we could have gotten a 2nd rounder for him, Dimitroff should have pulled the trigger.   Paying Hoop what the market will bare will continue to hamstring this team w/ too much invested in the offense.

I’ll stand on your side of the line on this one.

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I’ll stand on your side of the line on this one.

Overpaying a good-not-great Tight End at a time when Falcons need more inexpensive talent on rook deals and in bad salary cap shape - it’s a double whammy.

TheDirtyWordII likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Rings said:

This is exactly why the fan base is labeled fair weather and ranked as one of the worst fan bases in the NFL.  Along for the ride during the good times, no where to be found when things aren’t going well.  I flew down from Ohio to see a game this year and do so every two years, good or bad.  Wish I could make it to more but it’s hard when it turns into a big trip and stuff.

 

https://thesportsdrop.com/articles/ranking-every-nfl-fan-base/32/

 

24. Atlanta FalconsImages

There’s just no denying it: Atlanta is a great sports city… in terms of college sports and baseball. Want to talk about the Braves? You’ll have plenty of people to chat with. Have something to say about the University of Georgia? You can’t go 10 feet without finding a diehard Bulldogs fan.

But the Atlanta Falcons? Save for a few niche fans, they’re much more of a passing fare in the city: when they’re doing well, everyone cares, but when they’re not, nobody really cares about the team.

I guess you have the golden answer. Why don’t you pay for 2 plane tickets from Milwaukee to Atlanta, Hotwire is a room for two days, pay student loans x 2, pay a mortgage, and pay child support. I guess since I choose not to pay for a two seats to see a bad football team (even though I have had season tickets in 2004  and 2005) and flew from St. Louis to catch home games) and watch them on the Ticket every Sunday, then I’m fairweather. Some of you need to self-reflect before you judge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, stlouisfalcon said:

I guess you have the golden answer. Why don’t you pay for 2 plane tickets from Milwaukee to Atlanta, Hotwire is a room for two days, pay student loans x 2, pay a mortgage, and pay child support. I guess since I choose not to pay for a two seats to see a bad football team (even though I have had season tickets in 2004  and 2005) and flew from St. Louis to catch home games) and watch them on the Ticket every Sunday, then I’m fairweather. Some of you need to self-reflect before you judge. 

I have all those things other than child support, but that isn’t even the point.  I also don’t go on a teams forums making posts that I’m not going to give them anymore money until they are good again.   You brought that onto yourself, if you don’t want to go, fine, don’t go.  But if you are going to try and make a statement about it and how you are too good to waste your hard earned money on a bad team, you put yourself out there to be criticized.  

I’m not judging you for not wanting to travel across the country, I get it, that isn’t fun, but the fact you felt the need to tell everyone you aren’t going to waste your hard earned money because the team is bad is another thing.  You didn’t say initially you aren’t going because it’s far, you said you aren’t going because they are bad.  Your words, not mine.

esmithidoc likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Overpaying a good-not-great Tight End at a time when Falcons need more inexpensive talent on rook deals and in bad salary cap shape - it’s a double whammy.

I would have traded Hoop and wouldn’t resign Neal

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I would have traded Hoop and wouldn’t resign Neal

Yeah they need to let Neal go.   I LOVE the guy but the injuries are just unfortunate 

youngbloodz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I know I'm in the minority but really believe re-signing Hooper is a mistake.   They should have traded his *** before he got hurt and "sold high" on him.   Hooper is not a gamebreaker in the way Kelce/Ertz/Kittle are - he simply isn't in that elite status and Falcons already have two legit "#1" receivers.   If we could have gotten a 2nd rounder for him, Dimitroff should have pulled the trigger.   Paying Hoop what the market will bare will continue to hamstring this team w/ too much invested in the offense.

Hoop is not signing with us, and hope he breaks the bank with another team and can pay for generations on after for his family. Not here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Hoop is not signing with us, and hope he breaks the bank with another team and can pay for generations on after for his family. Not here.

 

I dunno.   Dimitroff likes re-signing his drafted players that pan out.   He hasn’t let many walk. I hope he does here but he should have traded him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I am agnostic on retaining Quinn/Dimitroff.    The Falcons aren't in a great spot now with the salary cap and aging stars and the future is far from certain.   There is talent on the roster and DQ/TD brought most of that talent in.    While there are missing ingredients to this team, I still don't see  "cleaning house" as some magic elixer at turning the franchise around quickly.

THE ONLY QUESTON:  Is blowing out/firing Quinn/Dimitroff/Coaching Staff and bringing in a brand new team to be the new football operation for 2020 the best way to go for 2020 - OR -  is it better for 2020 by maintaining the status quo w/ changes made in 2nd half of the season?

ANSWER:   For 2020 only, I believe it an easy call to maintain "status quo" - this continuity gives the team the best chance to perform and hopefully "start fast" in 2020 - as opposed to new coaches, new systems, new atmosphere and new  culture.

 

Obviously if we get mediocrity the way we have the last two years, then it is safe to say we delayed the purge needed/required on doing the partial rebuild -  it's a gamble either way and I don't like the last two years any better than any of you - maybe this back half of 2019 is "fools gold" but I think this he higher percentage move.

Now, if we are 2-7 or 3-6 heading into the bye week next year, Blank will likely pull the trigger on firing Quinn early and be working on replacement for Dimitroff - I am sure both know this is their last shot to get it done in Atlanta.

Exactly. My thoughts as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll still remain a fan.  I went to my first game at the age of 2 in 1966 (their first year here).  However - I'm sure as s__t not going to buy tickets for this kind of ____.  It's like dipping your ____ in battery acid.  Sure - you can do it, but you're going to be in a lot of pain...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sell The Team, Art said:

I'll still remain a fan.  I went to my first game at the age of 2 in 1966 (their first year here).  However - I'm sure as s__t not going to buy tickets for this kind of ____.  It's like dipping your ____ in battery acid.  Sure - you can do it, but you're going to be in a lot of pain...

I guess you get out of games what you want. I love going to games with my friends or kids, and always have fun. For many, going to any NFL game is a lifelong dream; I vow to never take it for granted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Arthur Blank...I have never bad mouthed this gentlemen.  He’s a standup guy and what he’s done outside of sports for this city is truly the work of a man that believes there’s more to this life than oneself.

HOWEVER...

With this decision Blank feels like he’s the smartest man in the room, and that we, the paying fans, are misinformed.

1.  Blank talks about having continuity.  Continuity is all well and good when it isn’t inconsistent continuity.  Dan Quinn has shown he is a coach of big highs and huge lows.  6-2 to 2-6, 28-3, 1-7 to 7-9 or whatever, last year when the excuse was our team was injured yet you see a coach like Doug Pederson or Mike Tomlin make lemon meringue pie out of the lemons they’ve been dealt.  People point to Sean Payton, but guess what, SEAN PAYTON WON A SUPER BOWL!  Had Quinn not blown 28-3 then he could have all of the extra chances without any backlash.  Instead we got the worst sports collapse ever documented, and excuses to follow.  What about Tennessee’s consistency with Jeff Fisher?  Dallas’s consistency with Jason Garrett?  Consistency is only as good as the results that come from it.

2.  Blank talks about turning the season around after being 1-7...well how did we get to 1-7 in the first place?  Are we not holding this regime accountable for their flaws, or are we just glossing over glaring deficiencies to keep about a good ol’ boy status quo?  I continue to say that this is the reason the players even love Quinn so much...because they know they will not be held accountable for their mistakes.  They get claps and cheers when they come back to the sideline no matter what happens.  They do not have to play at a high level consistently because their coach doesn’t coach at a high level consistently.  He doesn’t demand greatness, but rather finds joy in being a motivational guy that builds men to go out into the world and be great men.

3.  This shifting of the chain of command...once again... now TD and Quinn report to good ol Rich McKay.  Is this supposed to be why we are not consistent?  Why is it so difficult for Blank to let these retreads go?  Why is it always a change in title rather than just letting these men go?  This again is Blank feeling as if he’s the smartest man in the room.  He genuinely believes he has the right group of guys and continues to try to sell us on these guys being good for this team.

The SOLE REASON we win games is because of two people...Matt Ryan and Julio Jones.  I’d love to see how great of a coach Quinn would be without Matt.  Could he lead them to a super bowl like Pederson?  Could he continue to be in playoff talk like Tomlin?  Matt and Julio are the guys that were winning games before Quinn and can win them in spite and of Quinn.  You tell me about that time you said “man, Dan Quinn really won that game for us”.  The success of this team doesn’t ride on Dan Quinn, and as we’ve seen with a coach like Boy Wonder, if you get a guy in here that will PUSH the players as he pushed and demanded excellence from this offense then high results will come of it.  

The purpose of a coach isn’t to be a cheerleader, but to enhance a team.  I see no way that Quinn enhances this team, and Blank is trying to sell us on Quinn being something more than what he is.  He thinks we’re fools, but when his stadium is at 30% capacity again maybe...just maybe the light will turn on in his billionaire brain.

Not a rant, just facts.

All accurate and I quit reading at #2.  I’m so disgusted w this smoke n mirrors garbage.  All I can say is I don’t own a PSL and doesn’t look like there’ll be a run on them anytime soon.  I hope to heck he is the smartest guy in room and if DQ brings a Lombardi I’ll come in here and eat Crowe like a starving heyenna.....but rt now it looks ridiculously short sighted and sadly predictable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JG2008 said:

Quinn-- up 28-3 in the SuperBowl with 17 minutes left and loses! That would have been the tell for most people----that Quinn would never win it all in this league ------you blow a 25 point lead like that with that little time remaining and also blow a chance at end of game with 4:47 remaining and up 28-20 to save face with a FG after the Julio catch (2nd & 8 at NE 49 (4:47 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass deep right to J.Jones to NE 22 for 27 yards.) - simply run it on the next 3 plays and make NE use time outs or we run down the clock and kick a FG and go up 11 points and now its 31-20 with anywhere from 3 minutes to 4 minutes and change remaining.  You can try to blame Shannahan for not calling 3 run plays after that catch but ultimately the head coach (Quinn) can over rule and mandate what we are running. The rest is history.  Lets also remember that Quinn blew an NFC championship at home against the SF 49ers as well (after being in the lead for most of the game) that could have put us in another SuperBowl.   

So now Quinn is being blamed for something that happened when he was DC at Florida in the college ranks? Wow, I just don't even have words.

TheFatboi likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JDaveG said:

FYI, they're playing Blank's interview with Arch right now on 92.9.  He said "this is not based on blind trust or blind faith."  Blank took this decision very seriously, as he always does.

I criticize him for his involvement in football operations, but I do respect the fact that he is sober and considered in his decision-making.  He doesn't do anything lightly.  And he shouldn't listen to the fans.  As little as Blank knows about football operations, most fans know far less.

Another thing he just said -- "I don't have the football knowledge that they (Quinn and TD) have or that Rich has."  He's learning lessons.

If a business owner in an entertainment based business listened to the emotional and irrational fans to make decisions he wouldn’t be in business too long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2019 at 7:57 PM, esmithidoc said:

I guess you get out of games what you want. I love going to games with my friends or kids, and always have fun. For many, going to any NFL game is a lifelong dream; I vow to never take it for granted.

Fair enough, but I kind of look at it as if I were rewarding my kid for making an F on his report card, and being happy with maintaining an F average...

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now