Rich McKay’s Shift Back into Day-to-Day Football Operations... and Other Crap

Things I like that I have heard this morning are the promotion of Raheem to DC next season and the shifting back of Rich McKay back into daily football operations. Having McKay in the collaborative effort and exercising oversight of the salary cap and decision-making processes, to me, makes all kinds of crazy sense. Honestly, though Quinn made some monumental mistakes in the first half of the season, he made almost historic progress in righting the ship over the second half. But TD has made some questionable cap decisions the last couple of years and it can’t hurt to have McKay’s voice in the room. 

What are your thoughts on the McKay shift in the grand scheme of things?

4 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

Things I like that I have heard this morning are the promotion of Raheem to DC next season and the shifting back of Rich McKay back into daily football operations. Having McKay in the collaborative effort and exercising oversight of the salary cap and decision-making processes, to me, makes all kinds of crazy sense. Honestly, though Quinn made some monumental mistakes in the first half of the season, he made almost historic progress in righting the ship over the second half. But TD has made some questionable cap decisions the last couple of years and it can’t hurt to have McKay’s voice in the room. 

What are your thoughts on the McKay shift in the grand scheme of things?

I agree.  I'm not a huge McKay fan, so it's not just liking the guy or anything.  Honestly, anything to put separation between Arthur Blank and day-to-day team operations is a good move as far as I'm concerned. McKay may not be a wizard, but he's competent.

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

I agree.  I'm not a huge McKay fan, so it's not just liking the guy or anything.  Honestly, anything to put separation between Arthur Blank and day-to-day team operations is a good move as far as I'm concerned. McKay may not be a wizard, but he's competent.

Yeah, I’m with you on the fact that McKay is no football wizard, but I can see his business prowess being beneficial to our cap management and to the process of decision-making. 

8 minutes ago, Rings said:

@Refried Beans is going to have a 25 page syllabus on why McKay shouldn’t be in charge and what we are missing out on by not bringing in Ed Dodds.

He might, but that’s okay. We all have a voice in here... until we don’t. Haha!

Rings- @refried beans will continue to support and laugh as this franchise continues to be mediocre. I can only lead the horse to water I cant make it drink. Ed Dodds was the pick but Blank obviously likes being middle of the road and doesnt care about winning Championships. And I said for the last two weeks I'd rather us stick with Quinn than get McCarthy so it is what it is. 

Edited by Refried Beans
22 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Well said.

The team needs layers between Blank and the day to day operations, especially coaching.

I still wonder how much reporting directly to Blank neutered Quinn, until it was obvious it wasn’t working.

Just now, Refried Beans said:

Rings- @refried beans will continue to support and laugh as this franchise continues to be mediocre. I can only lead the horse to water I cant make it drink. Ed Dodds was the pick but Blank obviously likes being middle of the road and doesnt care about winning Championships. 

How many championships has Dodd won?

Just now, 1989Fan said:

Well said.

The team needs layers between Blank and the day to day operations, especially coaching.

I still wonder how much reporting directly to Blank neutered Quinn, until it was obvious it wasn’t working.

He had to sell him on making coaching changes.  That tells me everything.  Quinn shouldn't have to sell Blank on jack when it comes to who coaches what.  Blank should be saying "okay, hope it works, we need to win" and writing checks.  That should be the extent of his involvement in day-to-day team operations.

Why his input is needed before shuffling the coaching staff is beyond me.  What in the world qualifies Blank to make those decisions over Dan Quinn?

1 minute ago, Refried Beans said:

@1989 I think Dodds won 2 with Seattle. But neither here nor there. Hope this move gets us there. Maybe McKay will suprise me and bring home the hardware, we shall see. 

Thanks, I honestly didn’t know. I just know he gets a lot of love for his part in Indy.

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

He had to sell him on making coaching changes.  That tells me everything.  Quinn shouldn't have to sell Blank on jack when it comes to who coaches what.  Blank should be saying "okay, hope it works, we need to win" and writing checks.  That should be the extent of his involvement in day-to-day team operations.

Why his input is needed before shuffling the coaching staff is beyond me.  What in the world qualifies Blank to make those decisions over Dan Quinn?

This whole funky dynamic between Blank and TD and DQ also has me thinking back to Pioli’s departure. Why was it that he actually left? We may never really know. But yeah, I like Rich coming back into the mix, if for no other reason, to offer some buffer. 

@1989- Dodds was the scout that build the Legion of Boom. Was hoping we could get him here to do the same. Maybe this is one change we can make that would give me some sort of hope. Pay him top dollar and bring him in as Assistant GM or something. But at this point I am like Blank, I just dont care anymore. I will watch and if we win fine if not fine. We are who we are. 

5 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

@1989 I think Dodds won 2 with Seattle. But neither here nor there. Hope this move gets us there. Maybe McKay will suprise me and bring home the hardware, we shall see. 

Much like NE with BB Pete Carroll’s the driving force out those ways and while Dodd’s maybe a key cog make no mistake Carroll’s the key in Seattle.

2 hours ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

This whole funky dynamic between Blank and TD and DQ also has me thinking back to Pioli’s departure. Why was it that he actually left? We may never really know. But yeah, I like Rich coming back into the mix, if for no other reason, to offer some buffer. 

excellent points!! Rich def brings some cap expertise that wasnt there when he left football ops. Morris getting the nod to DC is a posistive. but that's kinda it...same ole, same ole...

4 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Rings- @refried beans will continue to support and laugh as this franchise continues to be mediocre. I can only lead the horse to water I cant make it drink. Ed Dodds was the pick but Blank obviously likes being middle of the road and doesnt care about winning Championships. And I said for the last two weeks I'd rather us stick with Quinn than get McCarthy so it is what it is. 

The all knowing Refried Beans... lets go to vegas since you got the goods man lol at least you're in it for the long haul. :slick: 

56 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Still trying to figure out where Blank is this over-meddling owner and why there’s so much disdain for him?

Perception....they see him on the sidelines, they see him in the locker room, they see him at Quinn's post-game pressers...so he must be looking over everyone's shoulder.

6 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Agree. If he could offer nothing more than being a human buffer between Blank and the football operation, he would still be a huge asset. I can't help but wonder if McKay had been involved in the process if we would still have paid top-dollar to  bring in two complete flops like Brown and Carpenter this season.