BirdGangATL

Defense ranking since Matt Ryan got drafted

37 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

Hopefully our new DC can change that trend. I am genuinely happy about the choice of Raheem Morris. Hope Ulbrich stays too. 

Idk why they don’t just let Morris and Ulbrich do the same thing they are doing now, our defense is actually decent since DQ gave up the playcalling duties.

Edited by BirdGangATL

4 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

Idk why they don’t just let Morris and Ulbrich do the same thing they are doing now, our defense is actually decent since DQ gave up the playcalling duties.

I think they did this to see them both in action...call it their auditions for the DC role moving forward.

Having a different play caller based on down/distance is not a sustainable model, which is why no other team does it. I didn’t expect it to roll over into next season.

i like both guys, but feel they picked the right one in Morris. He seems to get results whatever positions he coaches...just a good coach, he gets it.

3 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I think they did this to see them both in action...call it their auditions for the DC role moving forward.

Having a different play caller based on down/distance is not a sustainable model, which is why no other team does it. I didn’t expect it to roll over into next season.

i like both guys, but feel they picked the right one in Morris. He seems to get results whatever positions he coaches...just a good coach, he gets it.

Question....why the heck did DQ let Morris be our WRs coach before this? Lmao!

JBridgez and KRUNKuno like this

Common theme is Thomas Dimitroff.   The guy has a good eye for late round secondary talent, but his offensive line and defensive eye is beyond terrible.   He rarely brings in a free agent lineman that helps the team.  We have to rely on Schweitzer to save the 1-7 day. 

3 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

Yeah, that one was always a head scratcher to me lol.

1 hour ago, BirdGangATL said:

Why do we neglect to help this man out? Only 1 year he has a top 10 defense!  

2019 -21

2018 -28

2017 - 9 

2016 - 25

2015 - 16

2014 - 32

2013 - 27

2012 - 24

2011 - 12

2010 - 16

2009 - 21

2008 - 24

wow! Unexcusable!

Couple this with how bad his offensive lines have been.  Maybe a few years where he had a decent or average line, but for the most part his protection has been as bad as his defenses.

Just now, BirdGangATL said:

The response that you’re going to get to this question is that Morris wanted to coach the WRs because he thought it would help him get a HC job o_O

Im of the thinking that if I’m the HC I’m going to put my players in coaches in the best position to do what they do best.  Quinn let Morris coach the receivers.  He could’ve easily told him no.  But decisions like these are rampant throughout Quinn’s tenure.  Never putting guys in positions to win. 

9 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

There was good that came out of that. Raheem Morris said himself that it gave him exposure to Shanny's gameplanning and why he attacks defenses the way he does. He admitted it made him better on the defensive side knowing that.

Marino never had a defense either.  Marino is top 3 PURE quarterback ever.  Carried the Dolphins BY HIMSELF with zero running game and zero defense for years...

Image result for dan marino gif

Against the dawgs in the sugarbowl:

Edited by Spts1

30 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

Common theme is Thomas Dimitroff.   The guy has a good eye for late round secondary talent, but his offensive line and defensive eye is beyond terrible.   He rarely brings in a free agent lineman that helps the team.  We have to rely on Schweitzer to save the 1-7 day. 

When the Falcons have a RUNNING game, Ryan shines.  When they DEPEND on Ryan, the offense has problems...

3 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Marino never had a defense either.  Marino is top 3 PURE quarterback ever.  Carried the Dolphins BY HIMSELF with zero running game and zero defense for years...

Against the dawgs in the sugarbowl:

What does this have to do with the topic?

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

9 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

Last year Ryan had mvp numbers and we had no running game (Coleman was and is still only a change up back) 

He had a good year under Sark, mvp numbers like you said, but some reason, Sark was suppose to be a problem last season.  Atlanta ran the ball last season, though not as good as the previous season.  The defense sucked big time last season...

BirdGangATL and dirtybird2k5 like this

54 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

I think It had to be Morris bc he was probably the one most likely to get a DC job somewhere else. 

Total defensive/offensive ranks are garbage. DVOA does a better job of capturing true performance.. and our DVOA is even worse than the total defense ranks 

7 hours ago, BirdGangATL said:

2019 -21

2018 -28

2017 - 9 

2016 - 25

2015 - 16

2014 - 32

2013 - 27

2012 - 24

2011 - 12

2010 - 16

2009 - 21

2008 - 24

wow! Unexcusable!

I have been saying for years we need a defense and O line and Ryan will win a superbowl.

They have come close twice and both times the defense was ranked 25th and 26th. Both times had the lead and once a decisive lead in the dang superbowl only for our defense to choke it away.

20 hours ago, Falcon fan 4 ever said:

I have been saying for years we need a defense and O line and Ryan will win a superbowl.

They have come close twice and both times the defense was ranked 25th and 26th. Both times had the lead and once a decisive lead in the dang superbowl only for our defense to choke it away.

More so that it was Kyle dumb fawk Shanny not calling run plays 

Falcon fan 4 ever likes this

On 12/27/2019 at 11:11 AM, BirdGangATL said:

2019 -21

2018 -28

2017 - 9 

2016 - 25

2015 - 16

2014 - 32

2013 - 27

2012 - 24

2011 - 12

2010 - 16

2009 - 21

2008 - 24

wow! Unexcusable!

Agreed.  Next year will define our current regime.  Either the defense is fixed and plays as it has the past 2 months or we will clean house next year.  Top to bottom.  And if the defense is fixed, we are a SB contender with a solid draft

On a side note...WTF IS AN UNEXCUSABLE?  Lol.  Jk

Falcon fan 4 ever likes this