Lost in the noise - Raheem Morris named Falcons defensive coordinator, effective at the conclusion of the 2019 season.

I have mixed feelings about Quinn and TDs retention (especially with Koetter likely to remain as OC now), but the one big note that was pretty much an afterthought in the announcement is that Raheem Morris will be our DC going into the 2020 season.  He and Jeff Ulbrich turned the defense around in the 2nd half of the season.  I think this change, made official, is already an improvement heading into next season.  

• pa_falcon_fan changed the title to Lost in the noise - Raheem Morris named Falcons defensive coordinator, effective at the conclusion of the 2019 season.
Just now, Smiler11 said:

Good news, hopefully that wards off interest from other teams. I do hope we replace Koetter though (Mike McDaniel please).

If I were our front office, I would pull Koetter aside and strongly suggest he look for other opportunities so he could exit gracefully given that his offense was no more effective (and in some cases less effective) than Sark's.  I know pass protection was an issue, but come on man. 

Unfortunately I suspect it will be status quo on offense.

Just now, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

Seem like Ulbrich got most of the glory for the D turnaround but I guess it might have been Morris after all. Either way, salute to Morris I hope he gets some good pieces in draft and FA and keeps it going.

I think it was the 2 of them, working together.  Hopefully Ulbrich doesn't decide to go elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

If I were our front office, I would pull Koetter aside and strongly suggest he look for other opportunities so he could exit gracefully given that his offense was no more effective (and in some cases less effective) than Sark's.  I know pass protection was an issue, but come on man. 

The pass protection issues are largely of his own making. I really hope and pray that the reason we haven't heard any announcement on Koetter is for the reason you describe above. 

7 minutes ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

The Oline looking bad is not all but largely part to his playcalling style look at teams that actually use  Westcoast style it's mostly all QB movement and quick throws makes an oline look allot better. Look at san Fran oline they are all backup of backups from here and they dont look half bad

1 minute ago, FalconofShadows said:

The Oline looking bad is not all but largely part to his playcalling style look at teams that actually use  Westcoast style it's mostly all QB movement and quick throws makes an oline look allot better. Look at san Fran oline they are all backup of backups from here and they dont look half bad

Very good points.   That makes sense.  

14 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

Seem like Ulbrich got most of the glory for the D turnaround but I guess it might have been Morris after all. Either way, salute to Morris I hope he gets some good pieces in draft and FA and keeps it going.

I think it was Jason Butt, The Athletic Falcons beat writer, who said that he believes Ulbrich prefers just being a position coach. But I agree, the improved play of the secondary has been because of Morris

47 minutes ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

I have mixed feelings about Quinn and TDs retention (especially with Koetter likely to remain as OC now), but the one big note that was pretty much an afterthought in the announcement is that Raheem Morris will be our DC going into the 2020 season.  He and Jeff Ulbrich turned the defense around in the 2nd half of the season.  I think this change, made official, is already an improvement heading into next season.  

Matt Ryan generally plays much better in the second season with an OC.

3 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Ulbrich will move to another team and turn around their defense continuing the trend of us casting off up and coming coaches who turn other franchises around while we toil in mediocrity.

Yup and then we all will be looking around scratching our heads like "why did we let him leave" 

28 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

Yup and then we all will be looking around scratching our heads like "why did we let him leave" 

Don't think so.  Most people think he is a really good coach, and he could have done a nice job as the DC.  Thing is, RM will do a nice job also. Both guys can't have the position. I'm fine with him as the DC, and honestly, I think it was a good move on the part of the organization.  

1 hour ago, FalconofShadows said:

Mostly agree - lots of stationary, long developing plays. The lack of a run game also means there’s too much passing and teams tee off. The Carpenter and Brown signings, while understandable positionally were just bad. We now see why bad teams were content to let them go. Too bad DQ and TD didn’t see that. I’d like to think lesson learned but I ain’t hopeful. 

2 hours ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

Ulbrich was on the defensive side of things when they stunk up the joint on defense.  Morris is the one who got that ship right...

2 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

Ulbrich was part of the horrible defense before Morris came over there.  If Quinn felt that Ulbrich was responsible for the defensive turn around, he would have promoted him.  The secondary is the big jump the Falcons made on defense and changing their front.  Morris's work back there allowed the front to get coverage sacks...

Edited by Spts1

clearly the best news of the day w/ the promotion of Raheem Morris to DC.

again, the questions on Quinn is his management of staff and maximizing the staff talent.   Real questions remain on why Raheem Morris was ever moved to the offensive side of the ball to coach receivers in the first place.