Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FalconofShadows

Worst part about this news

2 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

Is that this pretty much gaurentees  we are stuck with Dirk Koetter for another season. Thos ownership will never learn Koetter is a joke as an OC. And this is a joke of a decision 

Why does it guarantee that?

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Why does it guarantee that?

It obviously looks like they are allset with status Quo here. If they are gonna keep Td and Quinn for being mediocre then they are not gonna fire a OC who has been bad after 1 season. Doesnt flow the pattern they are going with

Just now, FalconofShadows said:

It obviously looks like they are allset with status Quo here. If they are gonna keep Td and Quinn for being mediocre then they are not gonna fire a OC who has been bad after 1 season. Doesnt flow the pattern they are going with

Put me on the team that is fine with Koetter if he's allowed to run his own offense.

But still, nothing about this announcement says everything is status quo.  They moved McKay to a position where he has more say in football operations.  That's a good thing (not necessarily because McKay is a genius, but because Blank doesn't know **** about football and needs someone between him and the people who do).  Koetter could be fired, or retained and given different responsibilities (for example, being allowed to run what he wants to run instead of being force-fed someone else's system).

Just now, Flyin' In DC said:

McKay said in his interview there will be some changes. So there is that

There will be fresh paint applied to the walls of flowery branch. Cool.  And yes...the next 9 months will be fun!

9 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Put me on the team that is fine with Koetter if he's allowed to run his own offense.

But still, nothing about this announcement says everything is status quo.  They moved McKay to a position where he has more say in football operations.  That's a good thing (not necessarily because McKay is a genius, but because Blank doesn't know **** about football and needs someone between him and the people who do).  Koetter could be fired, or retained and given different responsibilities (for example, being allowed to run what he wants to run instead of being force-fed someone else's system).

That's also something I disagree with. I have not seen much of a west coast vibe to this offense in a long time I would wanna say by week 5 the latest Koetter has gone back to his own style of play calling. West coast is predicated on QB movement and quick passes which this offense has done next to none all year

Just now, FalconofShadows said:

That's also something I disagree with. I have not seen much of a west coast vibe to this offense in a long time I would wanna say by week 5 the latest Koetter has gone back to his own style of play calling. West coast is predicated on QB movement and quick passes which this offense has done next to none all year

Oh, I don't disagree.  He calls the vertical plays, he still has these pass plays that take a month and a half to develop.  He's running it his way.

My point is, he's running it off of someone else's playbook, and he'd be better off if he was just allowed to run what he runs instead of trying to figure out where the pieces fit from one guy's playbook into his philosophy, which is using the vertical game to open things up underneath.

I have been a "Fire DQ" guy for most of the season. However, I am a firm believer that everyone can improve. This season is almost in the books, and will only be remembered for being a wasted season in terms of the good talent not being able to deliver a playoff birth. So, I'm going to choose to believe that this season had to happen like it did in order for DQ and his guys (coaches and players) to learn some valuable lessons. I'm also hopeful that we'll see younger players develop/improve going into the new season; Guys like Sheffield, Oliver, McGary, Takk, and Commisky. I also hope that some of the high-priced veterans are able to do more with not only their play but with making sure the others are ready to go to. I really hope this all happens, because I am tired of being a "Fire DQ" guy, and we're all past due for a championship.

1 hour ago, JAxxSmooth said:

I'm ok with all moves made.  You dont get stability in a franchise by firing a coach 5 years in and changing OCs every other year

Hard to not change OCs when they get hired away as HCs...That is the devils advocate of having a high power offense...players make the OCs look like geniuses sometimes

Edited by wartownfalcon

6 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

So... The HC and GM are now reporting to the once demoted/promoted GM/President?

I'm okay with that.  McKay's issues as a GM didn't have to do with the direction of the team.  He got axed because of Bobby Petrino and some questionable personnel decisions (who to draft as opposed to what positions to target).  The 2006 and 2007 drafts were terrible, after a solid 2004-2005 run.  McKay was the GM who hired Petrino, easily the worst coach this franchise has ever seen.

Also, at that time, Blank had a much quicker trigger finger.  He axed Reeves, which was a huge mistake, and put McKay in, who then hired Mora.  So that's 2 coaches in a row that really didn't work out for a lot of reasons, mostly having to do with hiring the wrong coach (and they shouldn't have fired Reeves to begin with).  

Now, if we have to change coaches, I don't want McKay anywhere near the room.  But as long as these guys are staying here, I'm good with him being in place to ask the right questions and report to Blank.  I honestly think Blank is the biggest problem in the building, and any buffer between him and football operations is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Oh, I don't disagree.  He calls the vertical plays, he still has these pass plays that take a month and a half to develop.  He's running it his way.

My point is, he's running it off of someone else's playbook, and he'd be better off if he was just allowed to run what he runs instead of trying to figure out where the pieces fit from one guy's playbook into his philosophy, which is using the vertical game to open things up underneath.

That's not an offense we need to be running for a QB that's

1) Approaching 35 and not getting any younger and

2) Never had that strong of an arm to begin with

Ryan does most of his damage in the short to midrange. That's always been his bread and butter, and Kyle and Sark were able to accentuate that strength to the max. Koetter just isn't a good fit, no matter who's offense he's running. I haven't even gotten started on rushing.

Just now, No.11 said:

That's not an offense we need to be running for a QB that's

1) Approaching 35 and not getting any younger and

2) Never had that strong of an arm to begin with

Ryan does most of his damage in the short to midrange. That's always been his bread and butter, and Kyle and Sark were able to accentuate that strength to the max. Koetter just isn't a good fit, no matter who's offense he's running.

I disagree.  A vertical offense is well within Ryan's toolkit.  It doesn't mean we're chunking up Hail Marys every play.  The point of sending guys 20 yards downfield is to open up the underneath.  It's basically the opposite of the WCO, where you spread the field horizontally to open up the run game and the deep passing game.  And it works fine, and Ryan not only can, but has run it successfully. 

8 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I disagree.  A vertical offense is well within Ryan's toolkit.  It doesn't mean we're chunking up Hail Marys every play.  The point of sending guys 20 yards downfield is to open up the underneath.  It's basically the opposite of the WCO, where you spread the field horizontally to open up the run game and the deep passing game.  And it works fine, and Ryan not only can, but has run it successfully. 

I know he can, because Ryan is that cerebral of a QB that he can make just about any system work--that is to say, produce more positive results than negative. But just because he can doesn't mean we should. It's like using 87 octane fuel vs 93 in a turboed car. An engine may still run with 87, but it's peak performance is achieved using 93. That's what Koetter's verticals is to a WCO-inspired offense with Ryan.

3 minutes ago, No.11 said:

I know he can, because Ryan is that cerebral of a QB that he can make just about any system work--that is to say, produce more positive results than negative. But just because he can doesn't mean we should. It's like using 87 octane fuel vs 93 in a turboed car. An engine may still run with 87, but it's peak performance is achieved using 93.

I'm a huge fan of the WCO/ZBS, so I agree with you in the main.  I grant Koetter's system isn't ideal for him.

But if Koetter is going to be here, Ryan will operate better with Koetter running what he likes to run than with him trying to run someone else's playbook.  It's harder to change your philosophy than it is a play.  Koetter can call a sprint option.  What he can't do is undo a couple of decades of wanting to stretch the field vertically to open up the run and intermediate passing game.  You're asking the guy to do something he has never done.  He's been formed as an NFL coach one way, and you're asking him to literally do the opposite of that.

If we're going to run a WCO/ZBS, we shouldn't have hired him at all.  If we're going to have him, he needs to be allowed to run what he runs.  That's all I'm saying.  Ideal system for Ryan went out the window when Koetter was hired.

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

If he is allowed to run what he runs, it's too sided.  You'll see a increase in production numbers on the WRs and TEs, but this also means that the running game will take a hit again, and that O Line BETTER be at absolute best possible for any of it to work.

If not, we'll likely see MR taking huge hits again, as he's waiting for some long play to develop while being pressured on almost every play.