[CONFIRMED] Quinn and TD staying for 2020

41 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

He pretty much said that in the presser he’d taken too much on and I agree he didn’t sit on his hands.Humbled himself to what was needed and found a solution.I’m a DQ fan for stuff like that it’s just seeing a lot of the same stuff that has me scratching my head and gives me these moments of pause.

Yeah, bro. Some things he does I song understand. I hope that he pays off

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If this don't show you Arthur Blank is part of the problem , idk what will 

Get ready mods. The crybabies are gonna be out in full force today

BREAKING NEWS: we flop again next year 

4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Do we have the right HC then.

It seems he can’t synch all 3 phases together at once.

My biggest problem with DK is the run game and the mixed messaging we have with personnel.Gs situation and what are we doing upfront to help DKs case as an OC going foward.

We have run into consistency and ill-discipline problems under this HC and  I haven’t seen enough fixes on the coaching front.

I had this very discussion and doubt about KS but I have to say I could see an end game with him in place.The Falcons offense looked more fluid even first year out in the opening half of the season though they did fall away I could see light at the end of the tunnel.

When I watch a Koetter run offense once a opposing DC get the upper hand on us it looks like really hard work for our offense to overcome we come very predictable.It’s why we can go through stretches in games where we are punting on multiple series.The Jags game was a prime example up 14 early if we had the right play calling the games over at halftime.

I agree with what you say about Koetter which is why I wouldn't have a problem kicking him to the curve and going all in on Mularkey. I was one of the only 5 or so people here that liked the offense under Mularkey because it was my favorite style of offense.

Just now, AUTiger7222 said:

I agree with what you say about Koetter which is why I wouldn't have a problem kicking him to the curve and going all in on Mularkey. I was one of the only 5 or so people here that liked the offense under Mularkey because it was my favorite style of offense.

I don't like this idea honestly, just make Dirk more balanced and give us more of what we saw vs the Jags.

If we move on from Dirk at this point? It will need to be a clear upgrade not just someone we like more.

I think they need to keep building and adjusting/self-scout the mess out of what needs to happen in the first month or two after the season. Bye week was a mere week extra and we got major life back in the team. If DQ doing less on the defense let's him get a better vision out of what he wanted from the Dirk/Mularkey combo hiring? Make the run game/physical style come to life.

1 minute ago, Schwarzwald said:

I don't like this idea honestly, just make Dirk more balanced and give us more of what we saw vs the Jags.

If we move on from Dirk at this point? It will need to be a clear upgrade not just someone we like more.

I think they need to keep building and adjusting/self-scout the mess out of what needs to happen in the first month or two after the season. Bye week was a mere week extra and we got major life back in the team. If DQ doing less on the defense let's him get a better vision out of what he wanted from the Dirk/Mularkey combo hiring? Make the run game/physical style come to life.

More so this.

But for me the biggest issue is still DQ.

He has to be able to marry all 3 phases.

We have to hope under his leadership and off field decision making has improved.

To me there’s been so much indecisive decision making made across the board the last 2 years.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

More so this.

But for me the biggest issue is still DQ.

He has to be able to marry all 3 phases.

We have to hope under his leadership and off field decision making has improved.

To me there’s been so much indecisive decision making made across the board the last 2 years.

Well, I think he had the skeleton/bones of what we needed as evidenced by 5-2 & 2 wins(coulda easily been 3 had we shown up for NO rematch)...BUT his functional; muscle/ligaments/tendons, use was a nightmare 1-7...some staff movement/player use tweaks/better calls and clear direction on pulse of each game week to week? Viola.

People get too caught up in the narrative. If DQ gets the micro-management/delegation details on point finally? He would be a toptier HC no question.

4 hours ago, MSalmon said:

At first I wasn't with retaining DQ. But the naming of Morris as DC made me warm up to the idea more. I think lessening the load will help DQ greatly, and I do admire him giving up playcalling duties. Shows humbleness

It will. This was why he was torn about calling the plays or just manage the team when he first was hired. I like quinn. He’s a smart and knowledgeable coach. I think he outsmarts himself and times. Just needs to let the coaching staff stay the same for more than two years and if he has to lose a coordinator promote the replacement from within. 

6 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

It will. This was why he was torn about calling the plays or just manage the team when he first was hired. I like quinn. He’s a smart and knowledgeable coach. I think he outsmarts himself and times. Just needs to let the coaching staff stay the same for more than two years and if he has to lose a coordinator promote the replacement from within. 

I think a few things shook his confidence:

SB51

Sark year 1 essentially stopping our 2017 SB revenge tour 

2018 5 game losing skid after the early season injuries; he starts getting desperate to “make it right” but puts more on himself than ideal...lacks vision for Morris needing to help the possible to struggle younger DBs...(he seemed to not think coverage would fail as hard as it did with Allen back...Neal goes down it gets worse etc)

We are at a point he is either now close to putting it all together or still grasping straws. Depends on the weight on first half vs second half. Blank is making a sound move strategically at this point.

Change for change doesn’t mean better. Quinn managing his staff as a head coach needs to; and trusting who he puts in place!, seems to matter a lot. Morris is the right move as of today regardless of results next year. It make sense from a staff stability standpoint after “perhaps” mistakenly firing Marquand last year. Sark I can understand to a degree because he needed more help to get whole offense working(run game/more consistent overall), but honestly would have preferred seeing Kubiak here as an advisor for Sark instead. (Dreaming tho)

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Quinn came in with a good, solid staff his 1st year. i think losing SB51 and KS the next day (tho he knew i'm sure) shook him and his hires have been reactionary ever since. Sark reactionary...firing 3 COs reactionary...hiring DK reactionary.... i think all of his moves have been a step behind. promoting Morris seems to be smart choice tho...but thats after how many suspect calls??...

4 minutes ago, sanfranfalcon said:

Quinn came in with a good, solid staff his 1st year. i think losing SB51 and KS the next day (tho he knew i'm sure) shook him and his hires have been reactionary ever since. Sark reactionary...firing 3 COs reactionary...hiring DK reactionary.... i think all of his moves have been a step behind. promoting Morris seems to be smart choice tho...but thats after how many suspect calls??...

Sark wasn't reactionary. It was planned in advance. Dirk 'may' have been a Plan B to being blocked from getting Kubiak from DEN. That's not a reaction, IMO. Moving on from Marquand and Steve?

Possibly reactionary. 5 game losing skid and he took action; as the 3 wins to end the season were vs sub-.500 teams.

You can't frame everything under a reactionary lens, IMO. I get what you are saying though because basically the results haven't been there since Shanny left for his HC gig.

I think Dan had a vision that didn't come together fully this year due to the setback of weeks 1-8, but we saw clear evidence of the vision on defense since the Bye week and since he started shuffling the staff there.

Meanwhile, the offense is at least showing some signs of life recently. If we keep Dirk, we will need the new OL to be what we envisioned or he'll abandon the run...unless Dan is in more control as HC instead of HC + DC. He certainly can't let Dirk run free like Shanny was allowed to (mostly anyway)...but then again Kyle earned it. He was balanced and blowing teams out/keeping us in shootouts.

Edited by Schwarzwald
2 hours ago, Schwarzwald said:

I think a few things shook his confidence:

SB51

Sark year 1 essentially stopping our 2017 SB revenge tour 

2018 5 game losing skid after the early season injuries; he starts getting desperate to “make it right” but puts more on himself than ideal...lacks vision for Morris needing to help the possible to struggle younger DBs...(he seemed to not think coverage would fail as hard as it did with Allen back...Neal goes down it gets worse etc)

We are at a point he is either now close to putting it all together or still grasping straws. Depends on the weight on first half vs second half. Blank is making a sound move strategically at this point.

Change for change doesn’t mean better. Quinn managing his staff as a head coach needs to; and trusting who he puts in place!, seems to matter a lot. Morris is the right move as of today regardless of results next year. It make sense from a staff stability standpoint after “perhaps” mistakenly firing Marquand last year. Sark I can understand to a degree because he needed more help to get whole offense working(run game/more consistent overall), but honestly would have preferred seeing Kubiak here as an advisor for Sark instead. (Dreaming tho)

I agree. 

2 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Sark wasn't reactionary. It was planned in advance. Dirk 'may' have been a Plan B to being blocked from getting Kubiak from DEN.

You can't frame everything under a reactionary lens, IMO. I get what you are saying though because basically the results haven't been there since Shanny left for his HC gig.

then reactionary was being too kind to Sarks hire then, i've said it before...how do u hire a rook OC for a veteran offense, just competing in the last SB and THEN ask him to call another OC's playbook!!1?????? ok a stupid hire and call all around....reactionary was too kind...;)

9 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Sark wasn't reactionary. It was planned in advance. Dirk 'may' have been a Plan B to being blocked from getting Kubiak from DEN.

excellent point...

32 minutes ago, sanfranfalcon said:

then reactionary was being too kind to Sarks hire then, i've said it before...how do u hire a rook OC for a veteran offense, just competing in the last SB and THEN ask him to call another OC's playbook!!1?????? ok a stupid hire and call all around....reactionary was too kind...;)

Now that makes more sense. Dan even admitted after 2017 and failing in Philly that Sark wasn't helped enough. Kyle had an entourage of staff that he knew/used for his well-oiled machine here. Sark came in with a gutted staff on the offensive side as Kyle left.

Year 1 was that bad with Steve IN PART due to that; lacking the key support staff to your coordinator.

I also edited the other post. Sorry...bad habit.

5 hours ago, Schwarzwald said:

More of what we saw against the Jaguars? That's the problem!! The Falcons should have put up 40 on the Jaguars and they struggled just to reach 24 points. Ryan shouldn't be throwing 30 plus times in the first half of a game when they were up 14-0 not more than 6 minutes into the game. That's ridiculous. In fact, it makes me very very angry!!

14 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

More of what we saw against the Jaguars? That's the problem!! The Falcons should have put up 40 on the Jaguars and they struggled just to reach 24 points. Ryan shouldn't be throwing 30 plus times in the first half of a game when they were up 14-0 not more than 6 minutes into the game. That's ridiculous. In fact, it makes me very very angry!!

We have struggled to run this year. Ryan doesn’t throw 2 picks needlessly and Koo hits his FG? Those are missed points due to player error. Right there is your likely your 30+ output at minimum.

It’s something to work with. I would’ve liked a few more runs, but we still moved the ball. I liked the play calling.

Sark had a similar problem year 1 and the OL wasn’t quite in as bad shape in 2017; not until Levitre went to IR. (Lacking explosive plays and scoring output)

However, Jags game was fluid; even if run/pass ratio wasn’t ideal. Shanahan kept the pedal down in some games. We haven’t seen much explosive plays from offense this year. I liked what we did from Xs & Os standpoint.

8 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

We have struggled to run this year. Ryan doesn’t throw 2 picks needlessly and Koo hits his FG? Those are missed points due to player error. Right there is your likely your 30+ output at minimum.

It’s something to work with. I would’ve liked a few more runs, but we still moved the ball. I liked the play calling.

Sark had a similar problem year 1 and the OL wasn’t quite in as bad shape in 2017; not until Levitre went to IR. (Lacking explosive plays and scoring output)

However, Jags game was fluid; even if run/pass ratio wasn’t ideal. Shanahan kept the pedal down in some games. We haven’t seen much explosive plays from offense this year. I liked what we did from Xs & Os standpoint.

The main reason we've struggled to run the ball is Devonta Freeman, not the offensive line as everyone keeps trying to say.

• Devonta Freeman = 166 CAR, 598 YDS (3.6), 2 TD
  • Brian Hill = 73 CAR, 302 YDS (4.1), 2 TD
  • Ito Smith = 22 CAR, 106 YDS (4.8), 1 TD
  • Qadree Ollison = 18 CAR, 41 YDS (2.3), 4 TD

Ollison doesn't have a high YPA because he only gets goal line carries but Hill and Smith have/had no problem gaining yards on the ground this year but Freeman has all season. Same thing happened against the Jaguars.

• Freeman = 13 CAR, 53 YDS (4.1), 1 TD
  • Hill = 7 CAR, 66 YDS (9.4), 0 TD

Freeman's numbers only look so good because on the last drive he gained 38 yards on 4 carries. Prior to that point he gained only 15 yards on 9 carries.

Now I don't know who's fault it is that we've continued to try to force the ball to Freeman on the ground leading to us having a very unbalanced attack but it hasn't worked. Hill should have started getting the bulk of the carries this year at some point because when he was given carries he gained yards and made the offense better.

@AUTiger7222 sorry man but it’s the way they have used Free which has been the biggest issue for me.Frees still the best back we have and when used correctly still produces at a decent clip.

Pass pro is better than thee other 2 aswell.

Question for me is if we chose to run inside why aren’t we using the bigger back.

When we were up 14-0 last week that’s where I use that Ollison/Hill combo to loosen and pound the Jags into submission.

Yet we come out throwing I gotta say I didn’t like that.

We've got a couple of big backs who can run inside but don’t use them outside of goal line situations.

ps Frees biggest run last week of about 20 yards or so got called back on a holding penalty also.

11 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

The only thing I'll disagree with is this -- IF he thinks we need to change coordinators, that is, IF Koetter is on a short leash, rip off the band aid now.  Why?  Because a new one is a fresh start, and it will bring issues with it.  Beyond that, I don't know who on this staff would be promoted "from within" who would run anything like what Koetter wants to run.  We went out and got bigger o-linemen and a bigger RB in the draft, and we traded Sanu away.  If we aren't committed to running what Koetter wants to run, then we need to scrap it now and start the offensive rebuild.  And now is a good time to do it since the 2 FA o-linemen aren't playing anyway because they suck.

I wouldn't wait 2 years, get more draft picks on the offense, and then try to re-tool everything.  If you're going to do it, do it now.  If not, ride this out and Koetter goes as Quinn goes.

14 hours ago, Schwarzwald said:

People get too caught up in the narrative. If DQ gets the micro-management/delegation details on point finally? He would be a toptier HC no question.

That's true of many mediocre coaches.

... and if Koetter knew how to have consistent offensive balance and run quicker developing plays when the O-line is struggling he might be a top tier OC.

... and if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their...

I am tired of the "if" scenarios myself. At this point these guys are who they are. I expect Quinn to continue to struggle with the same things he has always struggled with. We can be a playoff team as we've shown in the past, but DQ is gonna DQ.

16 hours ago, sanfranfalcon said:

I think you’re looking at this through the lens of a rear-view mirror in hindsite.

Sark was hardly “reactionary”, he was a proactive yet controversial risk of a decision. DQ picked him because he believed in him, just as he did Shanahan. Same for Manuel. And both of those guys did good jobs overall.

Last year was reactionary, which seemed to have Arthur Blank’s thumbprints all over the sark/Manuel  firings and subsequent Koetter hire. And the result was another lost season of ryan/Julio’s prime years.

We never should have fired sark/Manuel IMO.

I’m sorry man but this is such a let down ... we need new life and energy in atl ... idk how we can get excited about next year ? What will change ? It’s been 3 disappointing season since the SB including 2017 when we couldn’t score a red zone touchdown to win a playoff game and all off season we focused on “red zone offense” and then proceeded to have the same issues first game of the year and never recovered last year i just don’t see the optimism in keeping Quinn i don’t see him as a great leader certainly not a great defensive play caller but if we miss the playoffs again this franchise is set back another 3 years

12 hours ago, Schwarzwald said:

Sark wasn't reactionary. It was planned in advance. Dirk 'may' have been a Plan B to being blocked from getting Kubiak from DEN. That's not a reaction, IMO. Moving on from Marquand and Steve?

Possibly reactionary. 5 game losing skid and he took action; as the 3 wins to end the season were vs sub-.500 teams.

I think Dan had a vision that didn't come together fully this year due to the setback of weeks 1-8, but we saw clear evidence of the vision on defense since the Bye week and since he started shuffling the staff there.

Meanwhile, the offense is at least showing some signs of life recently. If we keep Dirk, we will need the new OL to be what we envisioned or he'll abandon the run...unless Dan is in more control as HC instead of HC + DC. He certainly can't let Dirk run free like Shanny was allowed to (mostly anyway)...but then again Kyle earned it. He was balanced and blowing teams out/keeping us in shootouts.

Firing Manuel was 100% reactionary, and I think it was Blank being reactionary.

I can’t stress enough the impact losing Manuel had.  The secondary was lost without him this year until Morris stepped up.

In 32 games where Manuel was either DC or co-DC with Falcons and Debo was in the lineup (2016-2018), his team held opposing offenses under 23 points in all but 6 games.  This includes 5 playoff games