Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Since1990

Lessons from six disappointing NFL teams: Barnwell on what went wrong and what's next

On 12/23/2019 at 4:53 PM, TheDirtyWordII said:

The Saints went 5-0 when Brees went down.  The Falcons 4-6 when DeBo did.

Are we being reduced to blaming Duke Riley for 2018?

...and BTW, Bridgewater is a solid starting NFL QB like Nick Foles is...

The Falcons give up and extra 6 ppg when Debo isn’t in the lineup.  Only QB’s have such a significant impact on the game

41 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

The Falcons give up and extra 6 ppg when Debo isn’t in the lineup.  Only QB’s have such a significant impact on the game

What about this year?  He played all the games this year when they went 1-7 and 5-2 so what impact did he have?  Was last year having him back was what brought the defense back or did they just happen to play some teams that didn't have a very good offense?  They allowed 26 to Bal, 34 to GB, 14 to Car, 10 to Ari, and 32 to TB after Jones came back last year.  Car was middle of the pack and Ari were dead last in scoring.  It was fool's gold and pretty much everyone felt for it.

On 12/23/2019 at 4:14 PM, FalconsIn2012 said:

Yes, rivalry games take on their own story quite often.  But a 3 score beat down that wasn’t as close as the score indicates is a good win...especially in NO

But here's the problem, if they beat them in NO, why couldn't they beat them in their own house?  Because NO looked at the game film and made the necessary adjustments.  We never made adjustments once the 2nd game began.  

Then there's the loss to Tampa Bay.  If they had beat Tampa Bay, then maybe we have something here, but they lost and came back down to earth.

3 hours ago, Chitown2ATL_Falcon said:

But here's the problem, if they beat them in NO, why couldn't they beat them in their own house?  Because NO looked at the game film and made the necessary adjustments.  We never made adjustments once the 2nd game began.  

Then there's the loss to Tampa Bay.  If they had beat Tampa Bay, then maybe we have something here, but they lost and came back down to earth.

That had more to do with Julio, Hooper & Ridley being out.  If you look at that game, we held NO under 300 yards total offense.  

10 hours ago, freefall said:

What about this year?  He played all the games this year when they went 1-7 and 5-2 so what impact did he have?  Was last year having him back was what brought the defense back or did they just happen to play some teams that didn't have a very good offense?  They allowed 26 to Bal, 34 to GB, 14 to Car, 10 to Ari, and 32 to TB after Jones came back last year.  Car was middle of the pack and Ari were dead last in scoring.  It was fool's gold and pretty much everyone felt for it.

We have a top 5 defense since Week 7.  Created the most TO’s.  Have the best 3rd down defense and allow just 18.1 ppg.  

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

We have a top 5 defense since Week 7.  Created the most TO’s.  Have the best 3rd down defense and allow just 18.1 ppg.  

But what does that have to do with Jones impact?  He was here the whole season even when they were atrocious.  Not sure if you quoted me by mistake or not as what you said had nothing to do about Jones impact on defense this year or last year for that matter.

On 12/23/2019 at 7:42 PM, TheFalcoholic said:

I was pretty indifferent. I’m sure I voiced my opinions on him in game threads when I didn’t like his calls, but overall I didn’t really push one way or the other. Just looking back at how the offense ranked, it seems we (the board) made him out to be much worse than he really was. Shanahan spoiled us, and maybe even gave Quinn unreasonable expectations of Sark. 

I agree.  The same will happen with Quinn. If the next coach struggles they same people calling for Quinns head will be saying how we should have kept him.  I'm torn on what to do after this season tbh.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:43 AM, No.11 said:

The only gobbledegook here is this statement. How the **** can you say they (DQ specifically) didn't do any self-scouting when DQ gave up his playcalling duties and hired assistants to help with game management?

On 12/24/2019 at 9:39 AM, No.11 said:

What's not impressive about beating the two of the five best teams in the NFL and top-seeded teams in the NFC? Did I mention both wins were on the road?

:munch:

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Wait. You can’t credit one guy for anything positive because then he gets the blame for the unit or teammates failures; coaching failures as well...where have we heard that before?

“Some men just want to watch the world burn”2A45F05D-66FE-471E-96BA-7302A7741CD1.jpeg.c1c4a2715f27a10913df51c3d060c199.jpeg

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

That had more to do with Julio, Hooper & Ridley being out.  If you look at that game, we held NO under 300 yards total offense.  

Pretty sure we had Ridley still but the point stands. Our Defense did more than enough. That game was one of Koetter and the OL’s worst games. Their defense was allowed to pin ears back with Dirk’s calling. This is known. Plus, it was a short week and okay we came up a score short. I guess that means our trouncing them off their Bye week is invalidated. :ninja:

It really is comical. We admit coaching needs to improve and people can’t see straight when it’s helping or hurting your team in games like that one.

Dirk was egregiously bad in his game plan vs them here. He left the QB out to dry with inexperienced receivers behind a terrible OL performance. Half the battle is being able to run the ball. Not a Dirk strength but maybe just maybe with Lindstrom back and McGary settling down...heh the OL is doing better as we work at ACTUALLY running the ball.

Last game was everything we hadn’t seen called and executed consistently well pre-Bye:

Presnap motion under C

Multiple RBs

PA off snap

Bootleg

etc

The only way I’m okay with Dirk staying is if the OL can be a big difference in 2020 in addition to the run game itself being efficiently good at minimum. No more vanilla and predictable Dirk please.

At the same time, the Defense has been BALLING. If keeping DQ means a legit corner turned with our coaching on that side of the ball? Maybe I can stomach the times Dirk is shaky knowing we actually won’t immediately lose a game we don’t score on a drive early on...

And if it is coaching? TD gets fired? I have a hard time seeing it. This roster is hard to change at its core in any short order. If we don’t have a clear upgrade, it’s a major risk. DQ likely gets 1 more year. Like it or not.

Personally? I’d want to get Kubiak in here...

Edited by Schwarzwald

15 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Pretty sure we had Ridley still but the point stands. Our Defense did more than enough. That game was one of Koetter and the OL’s worst games. Their defense was allowed to pin ears back with Dirk’s calling. This is known. Plus, it was a short week and okay we came up a side short. I guess that means our trouncing them off their Bye week is invalidated. :ninja:

It really is comical. We admit coaching needs to improve and people can’t see straight when it’s helping or hurting your team in games like that one.

Dirk was egregiously bad in his game plan vs them here. He left the QB out to dry with inexperienced receivers behind a terrible OL performance. Half the battle is being able to run the ball. Not a Dirk strength but maybe just maybe with Lindstrom back and McGary settling down...heh the OL is doing better as we work at ACTUALLY running the ball.

Last game was everything we hadn’t seen called and executed consistently well pre-Bye:

Presnap motion under C

Multiple RBs

PA off snap

Bootleg

etc

The only way I’m okay with Dirk staying is if the OL can be a big difference in 2020 in addition to the run game itself being efficiently good at minimum. No more vanilla and unpredictable Dirk please.

At the same time, the Defense has been BALLING. If keeping DQ means a legit corner turned with our coaching on that side of the ball? Maybe I can stomach the times Dirk is shaky knowing we actually won’t immediately lose a game we don’t score on a drive early on...

And if it is coaching? TD gets fired? I have a hard time seeing it. This roster is hard to change at its core in any short order. If we don’t have a clear upgrade, it’s a major risk. DQ likely gets 1 more year. Like it or not.

Personally? I’d want to get Kubiak in here...

I thought Ridley was hurt during the game and missed a few quarters..no?

I think we should find the very best OC and let him be the HC also.. And let him choose his D#C,, That would let him feel like he will be in charge of getting his own choice of DC.  And IMO, that would lure in a top HC with a brilliant mind of the O#,, Because a Great O# is any teams best D#.  It's the truth with my hand up!!  :sadwave:

1 hour ago, Draftnut57 said:

I hate to say it,, but I saw this coming for a mile.. You just don't draft two starting OL with you first two picks.. and exspect for them to be able to do the job the first six games.. :fuego:

It’s one of, if not, the hardest position to transition to the NFL in.  Less and less colleges run systems that develop linemen anymore.  Give them another offseason together and I’m excited to see what we have.

2 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

Because a Great O# is any teams best D#.  It's the truth with my hand up!!  :sadwave:

Lmao at this board when we had a historic O, all we heard was defense wins championships 

7 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

I hate to say it,, but I saw this coming for a mile.. You just don't draft two starting OL with you first two picks.. and exspect for them to be able to do the job the first six games.. :fuego:

Well if TD and Quinn are still here next year realistically there's only one starting O-line spot to fill as a potential starter, four picks in the first three rounds, so the focus goes back on getting starting quality on the defence.

No trading away any picks in the first three rounds, and better bloody well make sure they hit on all four of those picks.