2020 General Manager Candidates To Keep An Eye On

Cole World

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-general-manager-candidates-to-keep-an-eye-on

By: Jordan ReidDecember 17th, 2019

he holiday season is a time for celebrating but it also means the uneventful exit of many around the league. 

Each year we see turnover with head coaching positions but also front-office executives. While coaching candidates are always a highly debated topic, the marriage between the new hire and general manager is more important. We have seen how the right hire can quickly turn a franchise around and the wrong one could set a team back multiple seasons.

"Black Monday," where the inevitable firing of head coaches and executives take place, is right around the corner. Who are some of the top candidates that teams will be vying for this offseason? Here are eight candidates that could fulfill some impending general manager openings in the coming months.

Ed Dodds, Assistant General Manager, Indianapolis Colts

If there is one candidate that should be circled as "the one" for every team that will have a GM position to fill, it’s Ed Dodds. As an executive in Seattle, he was the behind-the-scenes genius of what was almost a dynasty. Now, in Indianapolis as the assistant general manager, Dodds clamored the drafting of Quenton Nelson and Darius Leonard.

Prior to his promotion, there were whispers it was he who stood on the table to sign of undrafted free agent Kenny Moore following the 2017 draft. 

The Indianapolis Colts had lacked homegrown talent but, with the help of Dodds, they have flipped the script in a short amount of time despite the shocking retirement of Andrew Luck. The team’s quick transition and the talent has acquired shine a bright light on Dodds. Many are excited about what he could eventually become in a full-time role while running his own team, but at the moment, he sits cozy alongside Chris Ballard waiting for the right opportunity to present itself. 

Nick Caserio, Director of Player Personnel, New England Patriots

Nick Caserio has been inching toward the top of the list the past few seasons. He has been a New England Patriots lifer during his entire NFL career, beginning in 2002 as an offensive coaching assistant. Caserio has flip-flopped between the coaching staff and scouting roles before landing in his current position in 2008. 

After Caserio’s close ties to the organization, he was rumored to join the Houston Texans, but the Texans later announced they planned on going into the 2020 season without a GM. Although the concept hasn't been very successful outside of Foxborough, the "Patriot Way" of doing business will always be intriguing to NFL owners because of the team’s stretch of dominance over two decades. 

Mike Borgonzi, Director of Football Operations, Kansas City Chiefs

The Kansas City Chiefs have a long storied history of turning scouts and executives into future general managers. Mike Borgonzi seems to be the next in line after spending his entire career with the organization. After starting as the college scouting administrator in 2011, he has worked his way up the ranks.

As a 10-year NFL scout, Borgonzi has the reputation of getting his hands dirty and doing a boatload of scouting work. He enjoys the process of being in the trenches and doing homework on prospects by making various on-campus appearances despite being a “higher up.” He recently drafted the likes of Patrick Mahomes, Chris Jones, Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. Borgonzi has a great eye for talent which has resulted in the Chiefs becoming one of the biggest contenders in the AFC.

Scott Fitterer, Co-Director of Player Personnel, Seattle Seahawks

Scott Fitterer, a Seattle Seahawks lifer, has been with the organization since 2001. After being promoted to as the director of college scouting in 2010, he played an instrumental part in the now-famous draft classes of 2010-12 which brought in Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Bobby Wagner.

Fitterer has a sharp eye for talent and a lasting effect on the organization after adding these franchise-changing players. His experience under the John Schneider-Pete Carroll regime is also another positive on his resume as teams around the league salivate over that type of consistency. Prior to the 2015 season, Fitterer was promoted to co-director of player personnel, along with Trent Kirchner, who's another well-respected executive in the teams front office.

George Paton, Assistant General Manager/Vice President of Player Personnel, Minnesota Vikings

George Paton, a long-tenured executive, began his NFL career in the Chicago Bears’ scouting department and eventually became the team’s assistant director of pro personnel in 2000. From there, he crossed paths with current Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman when he was with the Miami Dolphins from 2001-04. Paton worked hand-in-hand with Spielman as the director of pro personnel and the two reunited in Minnesota in 2006. Upon Spielman's promotion to full-time GM in 2012, Paton has worked as his assistant. 

Paton has helped build one of the more talented rosters in the NFL with the likes of Danielle Hunter, Stefon Diggs, Harrison Smith and Eric Kendricks. Paton has remained a hot commodity among other NFL teams and has interviewed for many outside roles. He was believed to be the leading candidate for the San Francisco 49ers general manager role in 2017 prior to the team electing to go with John Lynch. Paton also declined an interview request with the New York Jets in 2019 — after previously declining interviews in 2013 and 2015.

9 minutes ago, Power I said:

Would anyone take a chance on one of the former player GMs? Aikman said he would be interested, John Lynch is doing good things. I wouldn't be upset at the home run attempt. 

If anyone knows what a top notch wall o-line and a great run game looks like, it would be Aikman.

Idk anything about front offices across the league but Dodds sounds great to me 

What better position could open up than ours? Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Hooper, Matthews, Mack, Lindstrom, McGary

Grady, Debo, Takk, Trufant, ok yeah the defense needs help.. but overall it’s a team with a lot of talent that’s shown the ability to beat the best teams of the conference even in a down year. I believe a situation like ours is rare 

8 hours ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Idk anything about front offices across the league but Dodds sounds great to me 

What better position could open up than ours? Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Hooper, Matthews, Mack, Lindstrom, McGary

Grady, Debo, Takk, Trufant, ok yeah the defense needs help.. but overall it’s a team with a lot of talent that’s shown the ability to beat the best teams of the conference even in a down year. I believe a situation like ours is rare 

Ryan & Julio are great, but they are also older players who are eating up an enormous amount of cap.

Mack is still solid but has regressed a little over the past 2 seasons & likely only has a year or two left. He also has a high cap number & could very well be a necessary cut this offseason for cap purposes.

Hooper stands a good chance to be gone in the offseason. We just don't have the cap room to pay him what he's worth. If we could keep him, you'd think that we would've heard about them trying to get a long-term deal worked out, but there hasn't even been a peep about it to my knowledge. Sadly, I think he's gone.

Ridley is promising, but is still understandably in the shadow of Julio, so we don't know that he's great. His ceiling might not be a true #1, he might just be a great #2 WR for all we know right now.

As for Lindstrom, we've only seen a game & some change of the kid against starting NFL players. Granted it's been good so far, but it's still an extremely small sample size, so we need to pump the breaks a bit & see if he can do that consistently & stay healthy before we start factoring him in as some sort of great asset.

With McGary it's the same thing. He's shown some good stuff & improved in some areas, but he's still a rookie and it shows a lot. That's fine & totally expected, but again... pump the breaks & see how these guys look after 3 years in the league.

Grady is a monster.

Debo is mostly a monster.

Takk is worse than Beasley & always getting hurt, so that's hardly anything to get excited about.

Tru can be very good at times, but can also be disappointing. He started his career strong, but never really panned out to be a great lockdown CB. He's gonna be 30 next year, so he has zero upside & has had his own fair share of injury issues. He's also got a really large cap number moving forward & could be a guy like Alex Mack that has to be released to creat some much needed cap relief.

So with our dire cap situation & a number of our best players being 30+ with large contracts, I'm not sure this job is as enticing as Falcons fans think.

11 hours ago, Cole World said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-general-manager-candidates-to-keep-an-eye-on

By: Jordan ReidDecember 17th, 2019

Ed Dodds, Assistant General Manager, Indianapolis Colts  no

Nick Caserio, Director of Player Personnel, New England Patriots  no

Mike Borgonzi, Director of Football Operations, Kansas City Chiefs no

drafikes

Scott Fitterer, Co-Director of Player Personnel, Seattle Seahawks no

George Paton, Assistant General Manager/Vice President of Player Personnel, Minnesota Vikings  no

I want my new GM to have experience being a GM like Ron Hill

Bio
Hill boasts nearly 40 years of NFL personnel experience, having worked with a plethora of teams including the Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos and Jacksonville Jaguars. He also spent eight years at the NFL as its Vice President of Football Operations. In this role, Hill will work closely with college football personnel to identify prospects for the Collegiate Bow

Group 1 (Rich McKay model)
This group of candidates has done everything required of a GM; there is no learning curve. Show them where their office is and they are up and running.
Charlie Casserly: Former GM of the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans, Casserly is now working on CBS' "NFL Today" show.
James Harris: Just resigned front office executive of the New York Jets, Baltimore Ravens and Jacksonville Jaguars.
Ron Hill: Former front-office executive for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Atlanta Falcons, Hill is presently assistant director of football operations for the NFL.
Mike Lombardi: Former front office executive for the Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders, in addition to club experience with the San Francisco 49ers, Denver Broncos and Philadelphia Eagles.
Carl Peterson: Just resigned as president of the Kansas City Chiefs after 20 years. He is well respected in NFL circles and may want to continue his career with another team.
Floyd Reese: Former general manager of the Tennessee Titans for 13 years, Reese is now working in television.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80d9b253/article/need-a-gm-heres-a-short-list-of-the-best-candidates

I don't care who our new GM is long if he has experience being a GM

42 minutes ago, k-train said:

Ryan & Julio are great, but they are also older players who are eating up an enormous amount of cap.

Yeah Tru and Mack could easily not be here next year. I think we’ll extend Hooper even with the cap situation, but we’ll certainly be paying top dollar. Nah man Takk is really good, and I think it’ll be easy to see next year provided the shoulder injuries don’t derail him. Lindstrom is really good no questions about him for me, McGary is a prospect I really liked too and although he’s not where Lindstrom is (who’s a freak), I like his outlook. Tru is a solid piece to have in your secondary but he’s not a guy outperforming his contract. Ridley is a beast

I’ll be interested to see how these guys play out next year and into their careers 

52 minutes ago, 81KJW said:

Group 1 (Rich McKay model)
This group of candidates has done everything required of a GM; there is no learning curve. Show them where their office is and they are up and running.
Charlie Casserly: Former GM of the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans, Casserly is now working on CBS' "NFL Today" show.
James Harris: Just resigned front office executive of the New York Jets, Baltimore Ravens and Jacksonville Jaguars.
Ron Hill: Former front-office executive for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Atlanta Falcons, Hill is presently assistant director of football operations for the NFL.
Mike Lombardi: Former front office executive for the Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders, in addition to club experience with the San Francisco 49ers, Denver Broncos and Philadelphia Eagles.
Carl Peterson: Just resigned as president of the Kansas City Chiefs after 20 years. He is well respected in NFL circles and may want to continue his career with another team.
Floyd Reese: Former general manager of the Tennessee Titans for 13 years, Reese is now working in television.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80d9b253/article/need-a-gm-heres-a-short-list-of-the-best-candidates

I don't care who our new GM is long if he has experience being a GM

No to all of them. There's good reasons why they are not currently GM's and they are all guys who have good connections around the league, which is probably why they ended up on an NFL.com list. I'm not 100% in support of TD but I also think we could do a **** of a lot worse.

36 minutes ago, BlazerSlayer said:

No to all of them. There's good reasons why they are not currently GM's and they are all guys who have good connections around the league, which is probably why they ended up on an NFL.com list. I'm not 100% in support of TD but I also think we could do a **** of a lot worse.

so you don't want somebody with 40 years of experience in the NFL scouting department.  

check these guys out they actually pretty cool

http://collegiate.nflpa.com/recruiting/

1 hour ago, 81KJW said:

so you don't want somebody with 40 years of experience in the NFL scouting department.  

check these guys out they actually pretty cool

http://collegiate.nflpa.com/recruiting/

I respect you for having some thought into this rather than just screaming for TD to be fired. Hill does have the experience I admit, but I keep coming back to the fact that almost everyone says the Falcons have a talented roster, so surely that means TD has done well? Again, he does have some flaws but overall I think he does alright.

1 hour ago, BlazerSlayer said:

I respect you for having some thought into this rather than just screaming for TD to be fired. Hill does have the experience I admit, but I keep coming back to the fact that almost everyone says the Falcons have a talented roster, so surely that means TD has done well? Again, he does have some flaws but overall I think he does alright.

I don't think we really have a talented roster just my personal opinion.

18 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

As good and credentialed as all these guys are I bet they’ve had there fair share of bad picks.

If I’m honest I haven’t seen anything to suggest that these guys are that much better than what we have right now.

Interesting times ahead.

All those guys have built a good OLine, a good DLine or both. Dimi hasn't. And for the last time the draft isn't the only way to build a team. Free agency and trades are legal. And Dimi sucks monkey balls at free agency.

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

All those guys have built a good OLine, a good DLine or both. Dimi hasn't. And for the last time the draft isn't the only way to build a team. Free agency and trades are legal. And Dimi sucks monkey balls at free agency.

We’ll soon see.

Build through the draft has to be thee main stay of building teams because of the cheap price your getting your talent and the fact it’s basically 4 years of the above.

FA and Trade are a nice way to supplement the above but if you suck drafting forget about it very rarely will you have any long term success in this league.

PS I’ll be laughing my *** off if we hire one of these saviours and they do nothing laughing hard.

4 hours ago, 81KJW said:

I don't think we really have a talented roster just my personal opinion.

Good enough to beat the Niners and Saints on their home field so I think we have talent.  We just need to scheme our play to their strengths instead of the opposite.  That falls on Quinn and the coaching but that seems to be improving again however, another letdown at the end of this season should result in some serious changes.