CBS cutting ties with SEC

5 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

i remember when fox basically bought out all of the outlets right under cbs nose and relegated them to a small channel until they were able to build back up again.. fox took the nfc nfl from cbs at that time.. it took years for CBS to come back from that.  it really sucks that they are losing the SEC.. i think they do a terrific job of handling the SEC.  

FOX also brought out a lot of ABC stations at the same time too. WBCR in Birmingham was one of the stations that FOX bought and took over around 1996 or 97.

But yeah, CBS lost a lot of stuff. What I find amazing about FOX is how you had the big 3 (ABC, CBS, NBC) established for decades and decades and then in 1980s this little startup network called FOX pops up and by the year 2000 FOX had overtaken all 3 networks to become the clear cut best network on TV.

Edited by AUTiger7222
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wait, does this mean no more Gary??

Was just coming here to post this. I hate this!! SEC on CBS theme is the best sports theme ever!!

Posted Images

7 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That would be huge, but I doubt FOX lets that happen considering they own BTN.

Big Ten is split between ESPN and Fox with Fox getting the pick of best game. All CBS has to do is take that top game to 3:30. ESPN will probably bow out of their part with the SEC coming. Fox can take the ESPN role even if CBS outbid them for the big game.

6 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Big Ten is split between ESPN and Fox with Fox getting the pick of best game. All CBS has to do is take that top game to 3:30. ESPN will probably bow out of their part with the SEC coming. Fox can take the ESPN role even if CBS outbid them for the big game.

You misunderstood what I said. FOX owns and operates the Big Ten Network just like ESPN owns and operates the SEC and ACC Networks. FOX isn't going to lose Big Ten football to CBS because of that reason. It would be such a shocker to me to see FOX let CBS get the rights to show Big Ten football and still own and operate the Big Ten Network.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:17 AM, Carter said:

I’m pretty sure they only do that because Fox carries games for basically every major conference except the SEC and ACC. Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12 fans eat that stuff up.

CBS dumping the SEC is so dumb.

Sounds like politics. Especially if it's about Texas A&M and Missouri. Considering the SECN is owned by Disney, as is ESPN, they probably were about to lose the bid anyway.

On 12/21/2019 at 11:28 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

FOX also brought out a lot of ABC stations at the same time too. WBCR in Birmingham was one of the stations that FOX bought and took over around 1996 or 97.

But yeah, CBS lost a lot of stuff. What I find amazing about FOX is how you had the big 3 (ABC, CBS, NBC) established for decades and decades and then in 1980s this little startup network called FOX pops up and by the year 2000 FOX had overtaken all 3 networks to become the clear cut best network on TV.

With some of my favorite programming of all time. X files. Simpson’s. 24. Married w Children. X-men cartoon series. 

On 12/21/2019 at 8:48 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

Hopefully that means no more ridiculous Saturday night games like Clemson against NC State or Ohio State against Indiana.

That would be the only upside to this. No more prime time sits given to subpar games. Tbf to ABC, they had no idea NCSU would be this bad this year. Usually that game is more competitive.  Still they could have found a more compelling game for their prime time slot  

The only real good 8pm game I’ve seen was the OSU psu game and that was on fox. Usually the slate abc offers up is mediocre at 8. 

17 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

That would be the only upside to this. No more prime time sits given to subpar games. Tbf to ABC, they had no idea NCSU would be this bad this year. Usually that game is more competitive.  Still they could have found a more compelling game for their prime time slot  

The only real good 8pm game I’ve seen was the OSU psu game and that was on fox. Usually the slate abc offers up is mediocre at 8. 

That was the same day Minnesota beat Penn State but for some reason ESPN decided that game to be an early kickoff and Clemson/NC State be their prime time game for that week.

3 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That was the same day Minnesota beat Penn State but for some reason ESPN decided that game to be an early kickoff and Clemson/NC State be their prime time game for that week.

I’d have concerns if I were an SEC fan. CBS has the highest production value out there for CFB. It’s like you are watching coverage of an nfl team. Espns production is at the bottom for me. 

27 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

I’d have concerns if I were an SEC fan. CBS has the highest production value out there for CFB. It’s like you are watching coverage of an nfl team. Espns production is at the bottom for me. 

agreed..  CBS has the highest production value.. i have seen plenty of games on espn2 and fox that are just horrible..  CBS we are guaranteed a highend product. 

3 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

agreed..  CBS has the highest production value.. i have seen plenty of games on espn2 and fox that are just horrible..  CBS we are guaranteed a highend product. 

They do and it somewhat would diminish the SEC fb product as a whole I think. I’m not trying to be a hater. But that 330 game with everything that went into it was/is must see TV. I’m sad to se it go from CBS.   Espn2 is not good at all. 

59 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Did you know Fromm was in the little league world series? Also shown on ESPN? 

Here's a clip.

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

They do and it somewhat would diminish the SEC fb product as a whole I think. I’m not trying to be a hater. But that 330 game with everything that went into it was/is must see TV. I’m sad to se it go from CBS.   Espn2 is not good at all. 

Yep. For as long as I can remember you knew every Saturday at 3:30 on CBS that was the elite game of the SEC and the production was top of the line.

3 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

the abc telecast is top rate at night, but the espn telecasts seems so low budget compared to the SEC on CBS.. the quality is soo different.  it's a bit depressing if that is the best we will get now for the SEC. 

2 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

the abc telecast is top rate at night, but the espn telecasts seems so low budget compared to the SEC on CBS.. the quality is soo different.  it's a bit depressing if that is the best we will get now for the SEC. 

That goes back to what I mentioned about ESPN only broadcasting in 720p. Ridiculous that HD has been a thing since the mid 2000s and now we've even got 4K UHD but ESPN is still only broadcasting in 720p.