Top Possible Coaching Openings

atljbo

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2867706-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-nfl-insiders-preview-2020-coaching-carousel.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Based on conversations with NFL coaches, agents and front office executives over the last few weeks, here is how the league is viewed:

ALREADY OPEN

Carolina Panthers

Washington Redskins

CHANGE EXPECTED

Dallas Cowboys

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

New York Giants

APPEAR SAFE

Cleveland Browns

New York Jets

Detroit Lions

The remaining 23 teams are not expected to make a coaching change this offseason. 

There are, of course, surprises every hiring and firing season that can't be factored in as of now. 

"The Browns can announce that Kitchens is the guy, but I don't know anyone who believes his job is safe," said one former NFL general manager who hopes to break back in. "That situation is a mess, and while ownership might not want to pay another fired head coach, something has to give."

The same goes for the New York Jets. One player told me Adam Gase has lost the respect of the locker room with his "tough guy bulls--t attitude" and the team's lack of a plan offensively. "Guys actually respect Gregg Williams," the player said. "No one respects Gase."

Owner Christopher Johnson fired Todd Bowles and the front office last offseason, though, and might not be willing to pay another coach to leave.

Top Openings

As owners and general managers start to look at the potential coaching crop, everyone will be chasing the groundwork already laid by the Redskins and Panthers, who got a head start by firing coaches in-season. Those two jobs couldn't be more different, though. 

As one former team president explained: "You only take the Washington job if it's the only one offered to you. Otherwise, I bet we see a lot of guys use it as leverage for raises—either in their current job or on the open market." 

Top coaching candidates, if given the choice between working for owner Daniel Snyder in Washington or David Tepper with the Panthers, are expected to choose the consistency and stability of new ownership in the Carolinas over the dysfunctional Redskins. The ownership model in D.C. puts the Redskins as the bottom of one coaching agent's power rankings.

"Washington would be dead last," he said when asked to rank the potential openings for his clients. "I'd say Cleveland or the Jets would be second-last because of ownership and expectations. The best job, bar none, is Dallas. If you can learn to live with Jerry [Jones], you have the biggest brand in football and a really good roster."

"Second-best, if it opens up, is Atlanta. Great stadium, really good quarterback and receiver, plus young assets across the board. Plus, [Drew] Brees has to eventually retire, and that division becomes wide-open. That's a really intriguing job."

Why can’t our fan base see that.

All it seems our fans want to talk about is money we haven’t got against the cap not the talent in the building.

The B/R reporter is right if I’m a coach and looking for a job having a look at the Falcons roster I’d be rubbing my hands together especially if you were an offensive guy.

Plus 4 picks in the top 80 of thee up coming draft to help the defense and get possibly a new RB man where do I sign up.

This constant turnover of coaches and play callers for the Falcons is making me ill. 

I would only want an offensive HC so that Ryan can have some hope of having the same play caller for the remainder of his career. 

Just keep Quinn/Koetter if we can win the remainder of our games.....Ryan and Julio are talented enough to make the system work by year 2....and I doubt Koetter can get another HC job anytime soon (so we should have him with us for a few years).

Our O line will beast next year. 

Spend our top draft picks on some good LBs.  I am not optimistic that we can find a good DE based on Dimi's drafting history. 

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Why can’t our fan base see that.

All it seems our fans want to talk about is money we haven’t got against the cap not the talent in the building.

The B/R reporter is right if I’m a coach and looking for a job having a look at the Falcons roster I’d be rubbing my hands together especially if you were an offensive guy.

Plus 4 picks in the top 80 of thee up coming draft to help the defense and get possibly a new RB man where do I sign up.

Right. I've said a few times that our OL will be very good. Those two picks were awesome. Replacing the scrub at LG, and mold a new Center. A RB like a Dobbins or Taylor, if they somehow fell in our hands would be a plus.

13 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Right. I've said a few times that our OL will be very good. Those two picks were awesome. Replacing the scrub at LG, and mold a new Center. A RB like a Dobbins or Taylor, if they somehow fell in our hands would be a plus.

This is it.

Some fans are looking for and at the wrong things.

There are holes on this team don’t get me wrong but not as many that fans are making out that the mentioned picks can’t fix and good coaching can’t fix.

LBers for example I believe we have a **** of LBing coach in Jeff Ulbrich he’s taken a 6th rounder like Foyasade Oloukun and made him into a credible starter.Yet find me players with coaching like that you fill holes and depth pretty quick.

TEs they found Graham a UDFA he’s found his way looks pretty decent.

WRers Gage Ridley Blake Zaccheus under Morris have come on leaps in some cases.

Good coaching fixes a lot what ales this team that’s the crux for the Falcons.Talent is definitely here but for some reasons or another it’s just stalled out the last 2 years and coaching is a big part of that.

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

For Kitchens its pretty simple. It's because of course he is, it's the Cleveland Browns. They do everything wrong. Literally everything. 1st and 4th overall picks? We'll take Baker and Ward...lol just so bad.

Yeah, I guess all he has to do if they try to cut him loose is point out to them that in 13 games he's already doubled the total number of wins Hue Jackson had during his entire 2.5 years in Cleveland.

Just feels like he cannot handle that team & they've already started tuning him out.

Nearly the same deal w/ Gase in New York.

1 minute ago, k-train said:

Yeah, I guess all he has to do if they try to cut him loose is point out to them that in 13 games he's already doubled the total number of wins Hue Jackson had during his entire 2.5 years in Cleveland.

Just feels like he cannot handle that team & they've already started tuning him out.

Nearly the same deal w/ Gase in New York.

I think Kitchens is the worst coach in the NFL. He has zero control of that team. Wearing that Rudolph shirt was just the dumbest thing I've ever seen a HC do. That guy simply just doesn't get it.