Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Hoopah!

Rise of Skywalker Spoilers Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Porkins said:

Sitting there, slack jawed at the greatest movie my 13 year old eyes had ever seen. Still the best movie experience of my life. Then the attack on the Death Star starts and I'm getting more and more excited as the visuals get better and better. Heart was just racing like a trip hammer. Then, I thought I heard them refer to him as Porkins and in the midst of my increasing hype, I blinked, shook my head and asked myself "WTF?!"

david tennant what GIF by Doctor Who

On 1/3/2020 at 3:56 PM, JayOzOne said:

I'm shocked as many of y'all dig this movie as it seems. :huh:I might have to watch it again to see if I like it more than the first time.

I saw it again Sunday after giving it a couple weeks to breath and hated it even more than the first time. It’s the most bizarrely incoherent and terribly written movie in this franchise. It’s like watching someone play a video game really poorly. 

6 hours ago, Skeetbird said:

I stand corrected :lol:

You can't come at the greatest Y-Wing pilot the Rebellion ever had and not expect a correction. It's not Jek's fault the stupid Rebellion leadership shoehorned (and I mean that both figuratively and very likely literally) this staunch pilot into the wrong class of star fighter where his misaligned talents ultimately led to his premature (but memorable) departure from the Saga.

On 1/7/2020 at 7:01 AM, RightInTwo said:

I saw it again Sunday after giving it a couple weeks to breath and hated it even more than the first time. It’s the most bizarrely incoherent and terribly written movie in this franchise. It’s like watching someone play a video game really poorly. 

Nothing beats the prequels as far as incoherent messes IMO. But this was right there with them as far as tragically missed chances. I put it on par with the final season of Game Of Thrones for not understanding why everything that came before it worked and failing to stick the landing.

You know I watched it for the first time this past weekend. I mean yeah it felt rushed and bringing back Palps after hyping Snoke....Ugh. But all in all I didn't hate it.  I saw the original way back when it first came out and I don't feel like this crapped on my childhood like some do.  But they did miss a chance to end Luke's, Leia's, Han's, and the rest's stories in the right way. Oh well.

Kylo is one of the worst characters ever in my opinion. I don't hate Rey or the rest. But they failed to capture the magic of the original trilogy. But seriously how could they without having better stories for the legacy cast.   The Prequels should have been done NOW.... 7, 8, and 9 should have been done20 years ago. But it is what it is.

This was better than the last Jedi. and i'm actually gonna say better than the prequels.

Disney was held hostage by the expectations of the fandom with this trilogy. That’s where I think the prequels were better. They had the cojones to do something different. Hopefully Disney comes out stronger in the next round but I doubt it

9 hours ago, Scrunchomarx said:

Disney was held hostage by the expectations of the fandom with this trilogy. That’s where I think the prequels were better. They had the cojones to do something different. Hopefully Disney comes out stronger in the next round but I doubt it

Probably my biggest reason to be disappointed is the fact that I'm an Abrams fan and he's a Star Wars fanboy who absolutely blew his chance to get this right. It's probably the worst thing that he's been associated with beyond Cloverfield Paradox (including season 2 of Lost).

12 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I like Star Trek: Picard. Much more than Discovery but not as much as The Orville, wihci I hope returns this year.

I feel the same about the ST series. The Orville is supposed to be back:

Through two seasons, The Orville is the little Star Trek homage that could. Like its (unofficial) Trek forefathers, The Orville has built up a small but formidable fanbase. Fox has rewarded that fanbase by ordering The Orville Season 3…but it won’t air on Fox.

Orville creator Seth MacFarlane announced during San Diego Comic-Con 2019 that the show will be moving to Hulu for Season 3. That’s right. The Orville is no longer a Fox show. It is now a Hulu original. With Hulu itself being exclusively owned by Disney, just as the show’s former network home of Fox, the shoe apparently fits.

Here is everything else we know about The Orville season 3.

The Orville Season 3 Release Date
It’s not clear when The Orville season 3 premiere will happen…particularly with the move to Hulu. The first season arrived in the traditional September premiere window, while season two was held for midseason and didn’t arrive until nearly January. Considering that this is an intricate, expensive show to produce, The Orville season 3 might be a better fit for midseason.

As Seth MacFarlane said of the move to Hulu:

“The Orville has been a labor of love for me, and there are two companies which have supported that vision in a big way: 20th Century Fox Television, where I’ve had a deal since the start of my career, and FOX Broadcasting Company, now FOX Entertainment, which has been my broadcast home for over 20 years. My friends at the network understood what I was trying to do with this series, and they’ve done a spectacular job of marketing, launching and programming it for these past two seasons. But as the show has evolved and become more ambitious production-wise, I determined that I would not be able to deliver episodes until 2020, which would be challenging for the network. So we began to discuss how best to support the third season in a way that worked for the show. It’s exactly this kind of willingness to accommodate a show’s creative needs that’s made me want to stick around for so long. I am hugely indebted to Charlie Collier and FOX Entertainment for their generosity and look forward to developing future projects there. And to my new friends at Hulu, I look forward to our new partnership exploring the galaxy together.”

The Orville Season 3 Cast
In the latest news on The Orville‘s third season, the main cast is getting a new addition!

Actress Anne Winters

Anne Winters is joining The Orville Season 3 as a series regular, reported Deadline, which recently revealed that she will play a character named Charly Burke. Winters, an American actress, is coming off TV runs on ABC’s Grand Hotel, Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why and Go90’s Zac and Mia. She also fielded runs on FX’s Tyrant, ABC’s Wicked City and Freeform’s The Fosters, along with recent movie appearances in Night School and Mom and Dad.

The Orville was created by Family Guy’s Seth McFarlane, who will continue on as star of the show alongside Adrianna Palicki, Penny Johnson Jerald, Scott Grimes, and many others. The Orville Season 2 saw the departure of Halston Sage, who played Lt. Alara Kitan, from the cast, replaced by Jessica Szohr’s Lt. Talla Keyali.

The Orville Season 3 Episodes

Orville creator Seth MacFarlane revealed at NYCC 2019 that the show’s episode order would be slightly smaller for season 3. The Orville season 3 will receive only 11 episodes on Hulu. The good news, however, is that those episodes stand to get a little longer, expanded by 10 minutes or more in some cases, according to a report from Cinemablend.

The Orville Season 3 Plot

Like many finales in the modern TV landscape, The Orville Season 2 finale could have served as both a fitting season or series end. There was a conclusive finish to the show’s brief time travel arc and should the show get a third season, it will likely get right back to the story of The Orville and its diverse crew. Thankfully, it wasn’t, and their adventures will continue.

Alec Bojalad is TV Editor at Den of Geek and TCA member. Read more of his stuff here. Follow him at his creatively-named Twitter handle @alecbojalad

32 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I like Star Trek: Picard. Much more than Discovery but not as much as The Orville, wihci I hope returns this year.

The Orville is the only Trek on TV. It is a great show.

STP is better than Discovery, I will admit that. But some episodes were just donright insulting to a decades long Trekkie like me.

8 hours ago, Herr Beast said:

The Orville is the only Trek on TV. It is a great show.

STP is better than Discovery, I will admit that. But some episodes were just donright insulting to a decades long Trekkie like me.

I stopped watching the series halfway through TNG. I understand there is a ton of nods to that series on Picard. I thought the producers were trying to show respect to fans of of the earlier series by linking up details from TNG and Voyager.

2 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

I stopped watching the series halfway through TNG. I understand there is a ton of nods to that series on Picard. I thought the producers were trying to show respect to fans of of the earlier series by linking up details from TNG and Voyager.

The idea was great, unfortunately those links acted totally out of character. They literally and figuratively butchered old characters. And the Escapism of old Trek is truly dead. People are now smoking, drinking, whoring and murdering. The federation looks more like North Korea. And the worst thing is, all that wasn‘t even remotely necessary, it added next to nothing to the plot. But the writing is so bad and dull they couldn‘t fill 45 minutes per episode, so they went for cheap sub plots to vill the void.

5 hours ago, Herr Beast said:

The idea was great, unfortunately those links acted totally out of character. They literally and figuratively butchered old characters. And the Escapism of old Trek is truly dead. People are now smoking, drinking, whoring and murdering. The federation looks more like North Korea. And the worst thing is, all that wasn‘t even remotely necessary, it added next to nothing to the plot. But the writing is so bad and dull they couldn‘t fill 45 minutes per episode, so they went for cheap sub plots to vill the void.

Man, Cpt Kirk was the biggest whore there was! :lol: They have always smoked and drank too, esp drank. I'm not sure why you said the Federation looks more like NK though. 

Perhaps ST/Orville series deserves their own thread?

9 hours ago, Herr Beast said:

You left "swearing" out of your list of grievances. But like biloxifalcon wrote, murders, whoring and drinking go back to the original series. Can't remember smoking so much. The biggest difference I note is tone, which is darker than before, even with Picard's unflinching optimism intact. That's the main reason I couldn't finish season 2 of Discovery. If it was another universe, I probably could have gotten through but it took too long to get where it was going and left me depressed in every episode. 

With that being said, the Star Trek: Section 31 series promises to be darker yet if it ever launches.

4 hours ago, biloxifalcon said:

Man, Cpt Kirk was the biggest whore there was! :lol: They have always smoked and drank too, esp drank. I'm not sure why you said the Federation looks more like NK though. 

Perhaps ST/Orville series deserves their own thread?

I started an Orville thread three years ago but it got archived. That series is so bad ***.

Back to Star Wars: It looks like Disney doesn't know whether it wants Kenobi to be a series or a movie. They were going to move forward with a Disney+ series but Kathleen Kennedy didn't like the plot that she greenlighted (too much like The Mandalorian) and now they're redoing it. How do you greenlight a series based on a pitch and then decide you don't like the pitch you greenlighted? If they're that confused, I hope the scrap the whole project. They're not doing it right.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/obi-wan-kenobi-series-release-date-cast-trailer-ewan-mcgregor-disney-plus-2021

45 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

You left "swearing" out of your list of grievances. But like biloxifalcon wrote, murders, whoring and drinking go back to the original series. Can't remember smoking so much. The biggest difference I note is tone, which is darker than before, even with Picard's unflinching optimism intact. That's the main reason I couldn't finish season 2 of Discovery. If it was another universe, I probably could have gotten through but it took too long to get where it was going and left me depressed in every episode. 

With that being said, the Star Trek: Section 31 series promises to be darker yet if it ever launches.

I mean Discovery is really really bad and next to no one is saying otherwise. You really didn‘t miss anything, I wish I had stopped watching it early but I am a masochist (you have to be to be Falcons fan right? And my local soccer team sucks too).

Picard on the other hand has at least some fun moments and familiarity. But I am still saddened that mentioned Escapism from the TNG to Voyager days is now truly dead. Everything on TV now has to be dark and gritty. I grew up with Star Wars and Star Trek in the 70s/80s and both were fundamentally uplifting. 

I guess it is just what the world is now.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:11 AM, JayOzOne said:

Rosario Dawson cast as Ahsoka Tano on The Mandalorian? Not sure that works on the surface.

https://www.slashfilm.com/rosario-dawson-ahsoka-mandalorian/

I think when you take the Dark saber into account and the fact that Ashoka was involved with Mandalore, I think it makes sense. 

Would have honestly been cool if she had appeared in the ST and wasn't just a voice