The Witcher (Netflix)

AF89

I'm not expecting to be disappointed. There's been a great string of excellent fantasy and sci fi if late and this looks good. Watchmen was great, as was The Boys. Really like His Dark Materials a lot. The Mandalorian gets maybe a 7 or 7.5 from me because I am not too keen on the episodic format over serialized shows. Swamp Thing was great (RIP). The worst of them was the final season of GoT, which is a shame. I have high expectations for The Witcher.

It's a slow build through the first few episodes (in fact i was pretty underwhelmed after the 1st) but it seems like it's really getting good . I will say if your not paying close attention you might not realize their are decades differences between most of these scenes.and the timeline will confuse the casual viewer 

Not sure I bought Caville as Geralt at first but he grows on you

Only got up to episode 5 but I got to head to Orlando tonight so I'll have to finish the rest Sunday or Monday

I think they could have done a little bit better job telling the story of how he got the nickname the Butcher of Blavekin in the first episode.  It's been awhile since I read that short story but from what I can remember basically the situation got out hand, the bandits took hostages (the only reason Geralt even got involved in the first place) and innocents died. 

Felt like a little bit of a narrative disconnect with him just butting in on two parties that kind of deserved each other and after only getting "bad guys" killed suddenly not being so welcomed. (Where him getting the cop that got a bunch of bystanders killed treatment makes a lot more sense)

So it's not my favorite tone setter for the series but otherwise its so far met or exceeded what i wanted to see

Read one review that said the first 4 episodes or so NEED to be binge watched because the timeline feels so disjointed especially for people unfamiliar with the source material (which will be most people). The show is really relying on you to catch the context clues or quick exposition dumps that tell you okay this scene is like 30 years before this scene

I'm guessing season 2 will actually start with the actual first book (where we'd actually get larger overarching plot and consistent pace)

. This season is basically all the prequel short stories Sapkoswki wrote on the side rolled onto episodic format with a little bit of the Ciri plot. 

50 minutes ago, AF89 said:

I'm guessing season 2 will actually start with the actual first book (where we'd actually get larger overarching plot and consistent pace)

. This season is basically all the prequel short stories Sapkoswki wrote on the side rolled onto episodic format with a little bit of the Ciri plot

should I read the books?

Personally I'd polish it up with more of the horror monster elements. Sometimes it leans a little too much on the fantasy and it's a little  like watching those Hercules/Xena serials my dad youst to watch back in the day only with tits and blood.(I still have an overall positive impression of this first season, I'm just naturally nit picking the heII out of it cause I want it to be really good)

21 minutes ago, Carter said:

Just finished watching. Extremely annoyed we probably won’t get season 2 for more than a year still. It was a bit of a disjointed mess through the early part of the season, but it really came together nicely and got me hooked. Can’t wait for more...

Actually as I understand they got approved for season 2 and did some pretty production before season 1 even premiered so shouldn't be too long

1 hour ago, AF89 said:

Actually as I understand they got approved for season 2 and did some pretty production before season 1 even premiered so shouldn't be too long

I was just reading that they were scouting locations all over Europe and won’t start filming for season 2 until February. Hope that’s wrong but judging from the high production values I’m expecting it to take a while between seasons.

In any case, Henry Cavill seems like brilliant casting and the girl for Ciri as well. Not so sure on Yen and Triss yet. But I have only played the games so I guess that’s the image of the characters I have in mind.