Falcons rushing rank by year

Refried Beans

Time for Falcons front office to go. From Rich McKay on down. Lot of news paper and sports talk folks on this site. Maybe time to start reporting real facts with numbers to support it. Atlanta has never been able to run the football or play top tier defense for most of the years Blank has owned the team. Instead of firing another coach and repeating "the process", lets make the real change that is needed. Firing Rich McKay, TD, Webster, Emry, Sabo, and Collier and getting one GM/Team President that can build a legit NFL roster. Look how Falcons have ranked in running the football since Blank has owned the team. Rushing yards per game rank. Outside of a Super Bowl year and a three year period where our QB rushed for a 1000 yards, Falcons running attack had been trash. You know why the Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, and Green Bay always win and dont flip coaches every four years? Good front offices that build teams that play sound defense and RUN the football. 

2019- Currently 30th

2018- 27th

2017- 14th

2016- 5th- Super Bowl year

2015- 19th

2014- 24th

2013- 32nd

2012- 27th

2011-  18th

2010- 13th

2009- 13th

2008- 3rd Matt Ryan rookie season Turner rushed for 1,699 rushing yards. 

2007- 26th

2006- 1st Michael Vick

2005- 1st Michael Vick

2004- 1st- Michael Vick

2003- 14th

Falcons year in and year out struggle to run the football due to the recurring problem of poor o-line quality. If we keep the same people in the war room on draft days how can anyone expect this to change? Think about all the trash o-linemen we have had since Blank took over. The list is endless. And how many times in games since Blank bought the team have the Falcons failed to gain ONE yard on 3rd down. It's like Groundhog Day. We need to stop the madness and really redo the front office, not just move failed execs around and give them new titles. FIRE some of these people and start fresh. 

The defense points per game given up is just as poor since Blank has owned the team. This is roster problems not coaching. Four different coaches same result. Quit repeating the same "process" 

Edited by Refried Beans

Really? Four different coaches and still blaming the coaching staff? Get real. The rankings were poor thru Mora, Smitty, and Quinn so what the consistant throughout? Same people in front office who cant draft linemen. Current coaches werent here in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2007, 2003, , etc... .what the excuse for those years?  Front office people fail and then blame coaches to keep their jobs, SURELY Blank can see this now, if not he is not bright. 

Edited by Refried Beans

So if Koetter choses not to run the ball or does it around 40% of the time, how is he supposed to get higher rushing numbers? Does every run have to be 12 yards long? The worst years were Koetter's years and 2018 when injuries decimated the line and running backs. Also the line in the Vick years was nothing to write home about. He was just really fast. A fast running QB will add on run yards.

Jesus- Blaming Koetter is moving the ball, I have clearly given you over 17 years of rankings that encompass SEVERAL different coaching staffs and the poor rankings remain consistant through out. The numbers dont lie, the Falcons current front office has to be restructured or the results will be the same no matter WHO the coach is. They have remained POOR thru FOUR DIFFERENT COACHES AND STAFFS Time for MCKAY, TD, Collier, Sabo, Emry, and Webster to kick the bricks!  And yes the Vick years do skew the rushing yard totals, that is why I made note of the year Mike Vick was here. Without Vick those years I am sure the rushing yard totals would have been just as poor. This is the results of keeping the SAME people employed in the front office that are not and have never produced. 

Edited by Refried Beans

10 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Really? Four different coaches and still blaming the coaching staff? Get real. The rankings were poor thru Mora, Smitty, and Quinn so what the consistant throughout? Same people in front office who cant draft linemen. Current coaches werent here in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2007, 2017, etc... .what the excuse for those years?  

Mora years were fine when it came to running the ball. 2009-2011 wasn't garbage at all, but Turner needed some help. 2007 was Petrino, that's not hard to explain. The only real aberration is 2018. 

The biggest issue is DK, and how TD has all of one good signed FA on the OL (and rarely decent draft picks after round 1) in 10+ years. If the latter is your point, this isn't the right way to make it

Francis- In a 17 year span the Falcons finished middle of the pack or worse 9 times, the other three years they had a QB that rushed for 1000 yards a season. So in essence since Blank has owned the team the Falcons have been good running the football 30% of the time. That is poor, and the same Front office people are still here. If you were at any other job, say a sales rep and you sold 3 out of 10 times you got a lead, you would be FIRED. If you were a manager of a Home Depot and your store had a 70% loss year in and year out, you would be FIRED. If you were a doctor and 70% of your patients were still sick after you prescibed medicine YOU WOULD BE FIRED. If you were a coach and you won 30% of your games YOU WOULD BE FIRED. These number show a 30% SUCCESS ratio for Falcons front office, THEY SHOULD BE FIRED.

2 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Mora years were fine when it came to running the ball. 2009-2011 wasn't garbage at all, but Turner needed some help. 2007 was Petrino, that's not hard to explain. The only real aberration is 2018. 

The biggest issue is DK, and how TD has all of one good signed FA on the OL (and rarely decent draft picks after round 1) in 10+ years. If the latter is your point, this isn't the right way to make it

We had an effective run game even if the stats suggested otherwise for most of these years. As mentioned, 2018 was the only year outside of the Petrino/Vickless 2007, where we struggled, and truth be told, Teco was pretty effective at 4.8 ypc. That's **** near 5 ypc. So the talent has always been here to utilize. We haven't been a run first team since the Vick/Mora years. 

I mean 2012 was our year we decided to become an explosive offense. Turner barely had 200 attempts after averaging 300+ the past years prior. Agree, OPs agenda is certainly not justified if he's using the run game as his reasoning. 

36 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Jesus- Blaming Koetter is moving the ball, I have clearly given you over 17 years of rankings that encompass SEVERAL different coaching staffs and the poor rankings remain consistant through out. The numbers dont lie, the Falcons current front office has to be restructured or the results will be the same no matter WHO the coach is. They have remained POOR thru FOUR DIFFERENT COACHES AND STAFFS Time for MCKAY, TD, Collier, Sabo, Emry, and Webster to kick the bricks!  And yes the Vick years do skew the rushing yard totals, that is why I made note of the year Mike Vick was here. Without Vick those years I am sure the rushing yard totals would have been just as poor. This is the results of keeping the SAME people employed in the front office that are not and have never produced. 

You're not making sense. Dimitroff was hired in 2008. He wasn't responsible for what came before. Turner ran out of gas in 2012 despite that if he had gotten just 80 more carries he would have had 1000+ yards and 15 TDs. I guess you can blame Dimitroff for that. It's your style.

In 2013 the team signed Steven Jackson who was not the right RB for the offense, I will give you that, but the line was decimated by injuries. Meanwhile they had a guy who averaged 29.0 yards on 5 carries with 2 TDs sitting on the sidelines. But that has to be Dimtroff's fault. He must have told Koetter and Smith to keep Antonie Smith on the bench.

In 2014 Dimtroff drafted a pro bowl RB in the fourth round, but Jackson had to get another chance to show how he can fall forward really well. But again the evil TD worked his way onto the sidelines and stole Freeman's helmet so the rookie would not have one to wear on the field. He is so dastardly that wily minx.

2015 saw an improvement in the run game! The first 1000 yard rusher since 2011! But alas that wasn't because of coaching. Because coaches don't have any control over that. And it couldn't be because of TD because he didn't draft Coleman and Freeman. So it must have been because of.. I don't know. Maybe it's in your agenda.

After Shanahan and his love of the run game left the Falcons handed the same offense off to a guy who had not coached in the NFL before as a coordinator. He struggled to implement the same type of run game and it fell off. Injuries also played a role, but we know that Dimitroff didn't go all Tonya Harding and get at the backs in the tunnel...did he? maybe? We might never know.

Of course we have the great Dirk Koetter back around again. After promises of a return to the run game we get...not that. Though when they do run, the team wins....go figure. But again there is Dimitroff up in the owner's box wringing his hands. No one has yet seen his master plan...until now.

Jesus- 2008- As posted we finished 3rd in rushing yards no one is debating this

2013-  Line decimated by injuries and not having the right RB is another Excuse, you didnt produce

2014- Not starting a Pro Bowl RB over Jackson is again another excuse. You finished 24th in rushing that year. 

2015-  You are stating the GM drafted RBs but no mention of the horrible o-line, again an EXCUSE. I went out and did the presentations but they guy said he had to talk to his wife first. Did you sell?  Did you close the deal? No. 30%. The NFL is a numbers game. These numbers DONT LIE. 

The front office has to produce like the players do or they need to be GONE. 

All you have given me in the paragraph above are excuses. And NONE of them address the inability to draft effective linemen. In 2013- We finished 32nd in running the football. FACT In 2014- We finished 24th in running the football FACT.  In 2015- We finished 19th in running the football FACT. Everything else is an EXCUSE. Drafting good RBs means jack if you they have no line to run behind FACT. 

This type of mentality is why we are where we are

Edited by Refried Beans

Hiring Ed Dodds will not do jack if he has McKay, TD, Emry, Webster, Collier, and Sabo in the way bringing is garbage talent. This layer of non producing front office trash needs to be removed before ANY new GM or coach can suceed. The current front office is like a group of poor car sales men that sit around drinking coffee all day and cant close deals while one or two sales reps keep the dealership open with their sales. Then when the owner asks why the car dealership is not profitable, the poor car salesmen complain about the weather being bad, or prices being higher than competition. Instead of getting rid of non producing salesmen OUR owner keeps them drinking coffee and keeps hiring. While the good ones get burnt out trying to support all the trash. 

Edited by Refried Beans

2 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Time for Falcons front office to go. From Rich McKay on down. Instead of firing another coach and repeating "the process", lets make the real change that is needed. Firing Rich McKay, TD, Webster, Emry, Sabo, and Collier and getting one GM/Team President that can build a legit NFL roster. 

This right here ^^^.  Except I'm not high on Quinn's coaching hires or in game decisions

Dirk Koetter was a poor hire NO ONE on this site is debating that. But once again doesnt the Falcons FRONT OFFICE sit in these meetings when determining these coaching staffs. HC included?  Should nt McKay and TD take the fall too? Wasnt Quinn a McKay and TD pick. You cant have it both ways. NO MORE EXCUSES. Where are the sales? Where are the closed deals? Show me the baby dont tell me about the labor pains. Show me statistics, the numbers dont lie. Since Blank has owned the team RUSHING YARDS PER GAME- POOR, POINTS ALLOWED PER GAME- POOR, Find me 1 NFL Team Statistic that is consistantly good since Blank and McKay have ran things. 1. I can find SEVERAL that are consistantly BAD. We are talking different coaching staffs, so dont give me the coaching  EXCUSE. And doesnt McKay and Blank pick the coaches? 

Edited by Refried Beans

DaTruth- Falcons needs to fire McKay and whole front office AND fire Quinn. Quinn is a nice guy but my dog is nice and it doesnt win the Falcons a Super Bowl either. FIRE THEM ALL. Leave emotion out of it, Blank needs to fire his friends and RUN A BUSINESS not a Social gathering. If he wants to take all these guys out to Montana to fly fish that's fine but get some real people in Flowery Branch that can draft linemen. 

17 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Jesus- 2008- As posted we finished 3rd in rushing yards no one is debating this

2013-  Line decimated by injuries and not having the right RB is another Excuse, you didnt produce

2014- Not starting a Pro Bowl RB over Jackson is again another excuse. You finished 24th in rushing that year. 

2015-  You are stating the GM drafted RBs but no mention of the horrible o-line, again an EXCUSE. I went out and did the presentations but they guy said he had to talk to his wife first. Did you sell?  Did you close the deal? No. 30%. The NFL is a numbers game. These numbers DONT LIE. 

The front office has to produce like the players do or they need to be GONE. 

All you have given me in the paragraph above are excuses. And NONE of them address the inability to draft effective linemen. In 2013- We finished 32nd in running the football. FACT In 2014- We finished 24th in running the football FACT.  In 2015- We finished 19th in running the football FACT. Everything else is an EXCUSE. Drafting good RBs means jack if you they have no line to run behind FACT. 

This type of mentality is why we are where we are

The line in 2015 was the line that Shanahan wanted minus the center he needed, which they got in 2016. He was signed magically but not by TD. Mack is the only difference between 2015 and 2016. But that can't be because of TD. 

I don't understand how bad coaching decisions are "excuses." 

2 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Time for Falcons front office to go. From Rich McKay on down. Lot of news paper and sports talk folks on this site. Maybe time to start reporting real facts with numbers to support it. Atlanta has never been able to run the football or play top tier defense for most of the years Blank has owned the team. Instead of firing another coach and repeating "the process", lets make the real change that is needed. Firing Rich McKay, TD, Webster, Emry, Sabo, and Collier and getting one GM/Team President that can build a legit NFL roster. Look how Falcons have ranked in running the football since Blank has owned the team. Rushing yards per game rank. Outside of a Super Bowl year and a three year period where our QB rushed for a 1000 yards, Falcons running attack had been trash. You know why the Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, and Green Bay always win and dont flip coaches every four years? Good front offices that build teams that play sound defense and RUN the football. 

2019- Currently 30th

2018- 27th

2017- 14th

2016- 5th- Super Bowl year

2015- 19th

2014- 24th

2013- 32nd

2012- 27th

2011-  18th

2010- 13th

2009- 13th

2008- 3rd Matt Ryan rookie season Turner rushed for 1,699 rushing yards. 

2007- 26th

2006- 1st Michael Vick

2005- 1st Michael Vick

2004- 1st- Michael Vick

2003- 14th

Wow, this genuinely makes me sad.  :(

Jesus- You cant blame 17 years of not being able to run the football on BAD COACHING DECISIONS. You are speaking about several different HCs and at least a hundred different Assistant coaches. That arguement does not hold water. You have to look at the constant over the 17 years. Who has been here the whole time we have had problems running the football? And that is Rich McKay and Blank and several scouts and front office people, it is time for some for some early retirement offers and pink slips in Falcons FO.