Per Matt Ryan, Falcons going hard for Quinn

KRUNKuno

ATLANTA FALCONS

Matt Ryan Says Falcons Are 'Doing Everything We Can' to Save Dan Quinn's Job

TIM DANIELS

Jason Miller/Getty Images

Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan said Tuesday the team is trying to finish the 2019 season strong to help head coach Dan Quinn keep his job.

On Sunday, Ryan led the 5-9 Falcons to an upset of the 11-3 San Francisco 49ers with a game-winning touchdown pass to wide receiver Julio Jones with two seconds left. He told NFL Now (via Nick Shook of NFL.com) the team's surge in the second half of the campaign is for Quinn.

"He has the respect of the locker room, and the guys play hard for Dan," he said. "There's no question about it. We all appreciate everything that he does for us, the style of coaching, and he's got great relationships with all of the guys in our locker room. So we love him. We are playing hard and doing everything we can for him."

https://apple.news/AsUz5bNy0TFyn98cFJPvy4A

quinn is gonna be back next season.  If he starts slow again I think Blank pulls the trigger mid season.  

"quinn is gonna be back next season.  If he starts slow again I think Blank pulls the trigger mid season."

That's what me and a manager said yesterday. Every single game after the bye week they've played the style of football we knew they could play all along. May suck for some but at the end of the day that may just be the case. If it is, he better not make any coaching changes. The changes that were made during the bye were best for the team. 

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

"quinn is gonna be back next season.  If he starts slow again I think Blank pulls the trigger mid season."

That's what me and a manager said yesterday. Every single game after the bye week they've played the style of football we knew they could play all along. May suck for some but at the end of the day that may just be the case. If it is, he better not make any coaching changes. The changes that were made during the bye were best for the team. 

But if they start slow and they pull the trigger.... Then what? 

You're floating over half of the season with a lame duck HC. He'd be Jason Garrett at that point. I just don't get it. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

But if they start slow and they pull the trigger.... Then what? 

You're floating over half of the season with a lame duck HC. He'd be Jason Garrett at that point. I just don't get it. 

it is what it is. Jason Garrett's problem is beyond coaching. He's not even allowed to do his job properly because of a dumb *** owner who can't keep his mouth closed. 

I honestly think this has been an all around learning experience for Quinn.

He could very well be starting to get it when it comes to being a HC. He had to admit to himself that many things that he did wasn't working and failed, including himself as DC.

Not many HC's let go of their ego like Quinn had to do this season. Maybe this is what he needed?

Just now, vel said:

Umm.... What if I said Dan Quinn's.... Never mind. 

Hey I get it, you want him gone. My feeling's on the matter aren't as strong because i'm not as invested. I've never believed in a person getting fired during the season. Always thought that if he get's fired it would have been the bye week or after the season. At the end of the day, if he's retained, it's out of our hands. Complaining about it won't really accomplish anything so ya just live with it. You're still gonna root for the team regardless. Many of us said we were done with the team before the bye week and we're still watching week in and week out. 

9 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

it is what it is. Jason Garrett's problem is beyond coaching. He's not even allowed to do his job properly because of a dumb *** owner who can't keep his mouth closed. 

Yep

Jerry is also the reason why Aikman refuses to take a front office job with the Cowboys and is looking elsewhere.

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Yep

Jerry is also the reason why Aikman refuses to take a front office job with the Cowboys and is looking elsewhere.

The next head coach better get it in ink that Jerry stays away from everything related to what happens on the field. Jerry's voice is loud and at time's it seems he doesn't realize how loud it is. He's killing the morale within that locker room. No matter who the coach is, if he's still doing what he's doing, the results are not going to change

23 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I agree defensively, I hope they make one very important coaching change on offense.

Just now, Rings said:

I agree defensively, I hope they make one very important coaching change on offense.

Perhaps. If I was a player, especially offensive, I'd be tired of cramming a different playbook into my brain every other year. They need to find some type of stability and get someone who's gonna stick around for a while. I know head coaching gigs arise but everyone isn't cut out to be head coaches so that plays a factor as well

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

The next head coach better get it in ink that Jerry stays away from everything related to what happens on the field. Jerry's voice is loud and at time's it seems he doesn't realize how loud it is. He's killing the morale within that locker room. No matter who the coach is, if he's still doing what he's doing, the results are not going to change

Jerry is still going around hanging on the glory of the 90's Cowboys as if he was really the one who built that dynasty.

Rumors are saying that the Cowboys have been in touch with Urban Meyer. If true, now way do I see Meyer being crazy enough to go to Dallas to just be the HC in principle.

I remember when the Cowboys switched from the 3-4 defense to the 4-3 after Wade Phillips was fired for Garrett, Jerry was the one who made the call to do so.

Jerry is becoming Al Davis, who I think Jerry actually did look up to.

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Jerry is still going around hanging on the glory of the 90's Cowboys as if he was really the one who built that dynasty.

Rumors are saying that the Cowboys have been in touch with Urban Meyer. If true, now way do I see Meyer being crazy enough to go to Dallas to just be the HC in principle.

I remember when the Cowboys switched from the 3-4 defense to the 4-3 after Wade Phillips was fired for Garrett, Jerry was the one who made the call to do so.

Jerry is becoming Al Davis, who I think Jerry actually did look up to.

yeah that was the word last week and Meyer said that's the one NFL job he wants. He better be careful what he wishes for

I really hate the narrative of “playing harder”, which means they weren’t playing as hard as they could have at the beginning of the season. I really want Quinn and company gone in the off-season. Unfortunately we won two big games against two big opponents, so the other losses will be lost in the ether. I think those two wins bought him a reprieve next season. 

It's good they're playing for their head coach because all signs and quotes from players are implying Quinn is severely on the hot seat. However, that 8 game stretch to start the season was some of the worst Falcons football in recent memory and highlighted the problems in the Quinn era.

Jeff Schultz via inside sources said during that horrible 8 game stretch, there was too much complacency and lack of discipline and that's a result of the head coach. We've seen that during Quinn's entire tenure pretty much. Arthur Blank said it and I'm paraphrasing, "We haven't been consistent enough week in and week out". 

At the very least, Koetter needs to be ousted. Dude is holding us back. I'm leaning towards Quinn being fired because of the overall track record but I'm going to hate to see him go because he is genuinely a good dude who works harder that anybody.

6 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Perhaps. If I was a player, especially offensive, I'd be tired of cramming a different playbook into my brain every other year. They need to find some type of stability and get someone who's gonna stick around for a while. I know head coaching gigs arise but everyone isn't cut out to be head coaches so that plays a factor as well

I normally am a big fan of stability if I’m seeing improvement, in Dirks case I don’t.   His scheme doesn’t play to Ryan’s strengths, Freeman’s strengths, our lines strengths, etc.  I still feel he is trying to force our guys into his scheme and not adapting hardly at all to what has worked the previous four years or what hasn’t worked this year.  

37 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

That's where I'm at.

We blew out the Aints in stinkytown and beat the 49ers at Levi's and both are top of the NFC.

We have everything it takes to win big games right here on the team - they just need to get it together mentally and communicate.  

Here's my question, and I can't decide if this is a players or coaching issue:

Why don't they go hard all the time? Why does a coach you love have to be on the hotseat to give your all + extra effort? Why can't we give that when we're 5-0 or 11-0 or up by 25 points. Why do our backs have to be up against the wall to get the best out of our roster?

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

yeah that was the word last week and Meyer said that's the one NFL job he wants. He better be careful what he wishes for

The crazy thing is that Meyer has a very good eye for talent based on all the good players he had at Florida and Ohio State that went to the NFL. The problem is that will be nulled by Jerry.

I see Meyer leaving after year 2 if he was to take that job.