Not A Sexy Pick.

Sidecar Falcon

Anyone who’s seen my previous posts knows that I believe that the Center position is the most important position on the offensive line. This becomes even more evident when you remember the absolutely abysmal play we had at that position before the signing of Alex Mack. Mack has done amazing things while he was here, but his time here is coming to an end. There is a possibility that we cut him, and if that’s the case this will make this next pick even more imperative. Ryan isn’t getting any younger, so keeping him upright is priority #1. 

C- Tyler Biadasz

Positives

As I said, Biadasz has some very advanced traits for a college player. He really impresses me with his ability to use proper hand-placement and footwork. Biadasz has a keen understanding of how to maneuver himself to put his body between the defender and the ball. There are times you will see him uses his upper-body strength to turn the defender and shuffle his feet to create a running lane. Other times, he will allow the defender to get a push to one side in order to accomplish the same thing. He understands the angles of playing the position, as well as when it's important to be aggressive or patient. The end result is usually Biadasz executing his assignment. Biadasz also does an excellent job of getting his hands inside the defender, and I think it is because he gets into position quicker than his opponent, and defenders aren't yet ready to counter his hands.

He also has very good upper-body strength that is clear when he gets a player off-balance. Power always seems to be a common trait among Wisconsin's offensive linemen, and Biadasz is no exception as he displays a solid punch and more importantly the ability to latch and either turn or move players. A good example would be the 2018 tape against Nebraska where Biadasz was consistently shoving his opponent four and five yards off the line of scrimmage. However, while he is a big player, he displays above-average feet on the move, and the Badgers have no problem pulling him or asking him to get to the second level. In those scenarios, his awareness shines as he quickly locates his target and once again, takes the proper angle to his opponent. 

That awareness shows up in pass protection too. It's impressive to see how quickly Biadasz diagnoses what's going on, and commits to a defender. In all the tape I watched, I do not remember him getting confused on a blitz disguise, twist or stunt. The Wisconsin staff also trust him to make the calls prior to the snap. That is something that NFL teams will value as it makes the pre-snap process much smoother when one person is putting everyone on the same page. Biadasz is a smart guy, and his future team will be able to trust his judgment on the field. I also love his tenacity. He blocks to the whistle, and down the line of scrimmage on plays to the perimeter. It's very rare that you find Biadasz without his hands on someone when the play is over.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Tyler-Biadasz.asp

Pros

Strength

Biadasz is a monster on the field. It’s rare you’ll find someone who can match him in a straight one-on-one. He blocks with every ounce of power, and he loves taking people to the ground. He’s almost never on his back and pass protects with a great anchor. Neutralizing bull rushes with ease, Biadasz may be the strongest player in the country. Here, he shows both strength and awareness in blocking two Michigan defenders at one time.

Mobility

Wisconsin utilizes a number of counters in their run system, which means even their center gets to get out and move. Biadasz has shown adequate athletic ability and a great ability to find defenders to block. Here, he shows his speed as he makes his way to the cornerback, then firmly plants him in the dirt.

Pass Protection

A cognitive ability to always find someone to block. The most important thing in pass protecting for a center is keeping your head on a swivel and picking up the correct responsibility. Biadasz does an elite job with this, as he always finds someone. A center’s job in pass pro is to provide relief and pickup the un-accounted for blitzer, and he does it play in and play out.

Technique/Footwork

Two of the most important things about being an offensive lineman are technique and footwork. Biadasz is a little raw, but he showed great improvement in both facets last season. His hand placement is elite, he keeps a wide base, and his legs are always churning. His feet could be a bit cleaner in pass protection.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-player-preview-tyler-biadasz/

Would much rather draft from the defensive talent that early. If we're moving on from Mack, re-sign Schweitzer to have him compete at center and guard (looked really good at C in pre-season tbh), sign another inexpensive guy to compete, and draft a guy late. We have 1st rounders and money invested all over the OL. It's time to invest resources elsewhere...like S/LB, considering we've spent all of 1 first round pick in the last 10 years at both positions COMBINED. Lots of talent where we pick too, it'll almost definitely be BPA. If not, go BPA. Biadasz won't likely be it.

23 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Would much rather draft from the defensive talent that early. If we're moving on from Mack, re-sign Schweitzer to have him compete at center and guard (looked really good at C in pre-season tbh), sign another inexpensive guy to compete, and draft a guy late. We have 1st rounders and money invested all over the OL. It's time to invest resources elsewhere...like S/LB, considering we've spent all of 1 first round pick in the last 10 years at both positions COMBINED. Lots of talent where we pick too, it'll almost definitely be BPA. If not, go BPA. Biadasz won't likely be it.

This is what gets you a bad offensive line.

I agree with everything except,, The only way Mack will be gone is if He decides to retire. Or if he wants to play for another team , He's the best thing that has ever happened to the OL since I've been a fan for over 40 years. If he dose decide to leave for what ever,, then our biggest need then would be to get the best Center we can find and in what ever way it takes to do that. That would be our #1 need.

1 hour ago, Gold4425 said:

I think I'd rather keep Mack for one more year rather that put such an important position in the hands of a rookie. Mack is still serviceable and hustles.  I prefer not to use our 1st pick for a Center. We should have taken one last year and let him have a year to learn under Mack.

Mack’s play has diminished but he is still good. Best case scenario would be if we keep Mack for one more season. Draft Biadasz and have him play LG for a season. This will give him the opportunity to learn from Mack, and not be a liability.

Center is a valuable/important position. I’m not quite sure why most people don’t see it. I’m guessing people are ill informed about it. This website did a good job of breaking down some drafting data. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/4/25/17267876/taking-center-first-round-nfl-draft-worth-it-bengals-ragnow-price-daniels-offensive-line

30 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

I agree with everything except,, The only way Mack will be gone is if He decides to retire. Or if he wants to play for another team , He's the best thing that has ever happened to the OL since I've been a fan for over 40 years. If he dose decide to leave for what ever,, then our biggest need then would be to get the best Center we can find and in what ever way it takes to do that. That would be our #1 need.

Agreed. I think we keep Mack but there is a possibility we cut him. I say draft Biadasz and place him at LG. Placing him between Matthews and Mack will minimize his liability. You’ll also get the added benefit of him learning from Mack in game. One of the biggest benefits of Mack is him taking over the line adjustment. This takes one important thing off Ryan’s shoulders and allows him to focus on getting the ball to his receivers or making audibles. 

I do like Biadasz...not only cause his name rhymes with badazz.  He can also slide to LG until Mack retires.  But I think Humphrey’s in the 2nd makes more sense.  His athleticism let’s him get to the second level with ease.  Plus he won’t require our first round pick

PROSYou can sniff the wrestling background on him from a mile away -- he's a master in leverage in short spaces and uprooting defenders with his hands. He's got a compact stroke on his snaps and offers consistent placement of the football in his delivery to the quarterback. He's built like a refrigerator -- stocky and stout. Love the mobility he has showcased working to the second level and and reach blocks, too. He's not on Garrett Bradbury's level for lateral range, but he's smooth and able to work across face on outside zone concepts. His late anchor ability is effective and he does a nice job resetting himself after dropping the hips to regain control of the block. 

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

I do like Biadaz...not only cause his name rhymes with badazz.  But I think Humphrey’s in the 2nd makes more sense.  His athleticism let’s him get to the second level with ease.  Plus he won’t require our first round pick

I think we see a run on Centers in the late 1st/early 2nd Rd. I could conceivably see a draft where we land Biadasz, Etienne, and another DL. 

1 hour ago, D.B.N. said:

terrible pick, absolutely terrible. with that being said, it would not surprise me one bit to take some no-name WTF pick with our first pick. it's what we do. 

O really? It is?

Vic Beasley 

takk

lindstrom

big country 

trufant

ridley

SUCH NO NAMES.

this fan base is mental

I repeat ,, get our OL in proven Vets.. and draft every other need. Just the only way to insure of taking care of Ryan and setting him up to be successful , If we don't take care of the number one need,, You can forget ever making it to the playoffs.

1. Take care of OL with all proven Vets,  and Draft everything else... And in the draft take best DL available with the first two picks. Hopefully there wil be a Monster DE with our first pick or even in the second .. or both.