Replay Riveron's Explaination of Hooper TD Reversal

Al Riveron, the NY replay official explains the logic of overturning Hooper's catch:

“The ball actually takes him to the ground. This is the one remaining situation where you have two steps, but if you don’t have a football move, you’re going to the ground, you must survive the ground," Riveron told a pool reporter. “In this situation, he takes the ball, it hits the ground and then he loses control of the football when he comes back up. Therefore, it’s an incomplete pass.”

----------------------------

For one thing, it appears the ball hit the shoe, not the ground. And on the next play, if somebody had been on the line blocking the goal line camera on Julio's catch, the Falcons would have been cheated out of a game they should have won.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The ball on Hooper's play never touched the ground. And based on the replay rules of the NFL, there was not nearly enough conclusive video evidence to overturn the call, which was touchdown. The offic

Al Riveron, the NY replay official explains the logic of overturning Hooper's catch: “The ball actually takes him to the ground. This is the one remaining situation where you have two steps, but

Here is a quote on the play on the Ringer site: "Adding to the mess—are we sure it touched the ground and not Hooper’s foot? Usually with these types of messy replays, officials will stick with t

Posted Images

The ball on Hooper's play never touched the ground. And based on the replay rules of the NFL, there was not nearly enough conclusive video evidence to overturn the call, which was touchdown. The officiating in the NFL this year has been as bad as I have ever seen it, and we're talkin almost five decades.

The one thing that completely confused me about the explanation during the game was that the "replay-expert" explained that the rule stated that if you could see that the ball did not cause the ball to come loose, which slow motion clearly showed that it didn't, then it should be ruled complete... but because in real time it looks like the ground causes the loss of control, then it must be called incomplete. Like wtf? how can that be the rule lol. Why does slow motion exist if not to see things that can't be seen in real-time? I was at a loss of words on that one. 

Just now, octoslash said:

The ball on Hooper's play never touched the ground. And based on the replay rules of the NFL, there was not nearly enough to overturn the call, which was touchdown.

Yes it did. His problem was that he lost control afterwards. Wouldn’t have been an issue if he doesn’t lose control

Here is a quote on the play on the Ringer site:

"Adding to the mess—are we sure it touched the ground and not Hooper’s foot? Usually with these types of messy replays, officials will stick with the call on the field, as the rules state. Not this time: The NFL overturned the call, giving the Falcons a third down with five seconds left to try again."

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/15/21023655/falcons-49ers-wild-finish-nfc-playoff-race

Of course what the NFL usually does will not apply to rhe Falcons.

My thing is this.

The ball touched the ground, but never once moved...not even a little. 

Then as he picked it up, while falling, the nose of the ball clipped his shin. That's when it popped loose. He then proceeded to regain control.

I thought by NFL rules, it was clearly a catch.

46 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Yes it did. His problem was that he lost control afterwards. Wouldn’t have been an issue if he doesn’t lose control

I don’t know why people can’t grasp this concept.  It’s always been that way.  Now had the ball touched his foot and not the ground that’s a different story. 

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

I just watched the replay 3 times. If I had to guess, I think it touched the ground. But there is a very clear angle that shows it on his foot and makes it very difficult to confirm that it hit the ground.

Also, the ground doesn’t knock it loose. His knee knocks it loose. He maintained control to the ground. It was after he picked it up where his knee hit it out of his hand.

1 hour ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Here is a quote on the play on the Ringer site:

"Adding to the mess—are we sure it touched the ground and not Hooper’s foot? Usually with these types of messy replays, officials will stick with the call on the field, as the rules state. Not this time: The NFL overturned the call, giving the Falcons a third down with five seconds left to try again."

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/15/21023655/falcons-49ers-wild-finish-nfc-playoff-race

Of course what the NFL usually does will not apply to rhe Falcons.

Exactly. Not enough to OVERTURN a call.

1a) Debatable IN REPLAY it hit ground vs foot.

1b) It did not directly move the ball; whatever it did first hit. He ALREADY had a firm grasp “possession” without using the other object to catch the ball. It moves after, not during contact. He regains grasp and no ground contact.

3) Looked like a catch live; was ruled that way.

^How do you overturn it by slowing it down, thinking it “might” or “could” have hit the ground rather than equally the foot and deciding “yeah, let’s just take the TD away?” 

Conclusion: An Overtly forced overturn despite unclear evidence even in slow motion. Looks like a catch live. Football. TD.

Its amazing how biased the game was called actually. One of the worst officiated games we’ve seen this year as a Falcon’s team. Remember the Kyler Murray no 1st down? Etc etc. we had MANY bad calls on us this year.

Where is the outrage on Grady’s bogus Roughing call? It was even worse than the call on AC; which was also borderline at best! But we don’t give Matt the quick flag trigger on open field bad slides because ??? He still took a hit. Where is the equal overtly protective of QB when it comes to our guy?

But nah...we got Foye laying too roughly on Goff in our stadium. What a joke.

10 minutes ago, pzummo said:

I just watched the replay 3 times. If I had to guess, I think it touched the ground. But there is a very clear angle that shows it on his foot and makes it very difficult to confirm that it hit the ground.

Also, the ground doesn’t knock it loose. His knee knocks it loose. He maintained control to the ground. It was after he picked it up where his knee hit it out of his hand.

As long as the ball bobbles after touching the ground, it’s an incomplete pass. Doesn’t mean the ground knocked it loose or anything. You just have to control the ball all the way. If you watched the replay then you also saw the ball move before he fully secured it. Either way the game was won. I don’t really get why it’s still an issue

33 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

My thing is this.

The ball touched the ground, but never once moved...not even a little. 

Then as he picked it up, while falling, the nose of the ball clipped his shin. That's when it popped loose. He then proceeded to regain control.

I thought by NFL rules, it was clearly a catch.

That’s what I saw.

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

As long as the ball bobbles after touching the ground, it’s an incomplete pass. Doesn’t mean the ground knocked it loose or anything. You just have to control the ball all the way. If you watched the replay then you also saw the ball move before he fully secured it. Either way the game was won. I don’t really get why it’s still an issue

Fair enough. 

5 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

He regains control after the juggle though. The juggle was not caused by the ground. Never seen a play quite like that, but I thought that was a catch.