Concern on the Dan Quinn issue

I generally want the Falcons to win. The only exception being is if the Falcons are doing so poorly by mid season, then for me it becomes an issue of long term success. In other words, the willingness to tank the rest of the season to draft higher and hopefully trade down to build some depth and get more quality players. To even clean house front office wise if need be.

Obviously the coaches, front office and players don't want this for various reasons. The main one is their jobs are at stake. So I understand from their POV. That being said, if they are going to fight hard, it does feel good when they get a win like they did over the 49ers. It shows the team has the potential.

So here is the dilemma, and it was an issue that was mentioned during the commentary. Complaceny. Shanny was worried his team would be complacent and allow for the Falcons to beat them. But the main issue for this team, as long as I have been a fan, is complacency.

What worries me as a fan, is while its great to have feel good wins like this, is the team in general starts getting too much confidence again, believing they only need to tweek a few things here or there, and be status quo again, putting faith in the process becuase they were able to be good at times - emphasising the positive, forgetting how they were like overall.

The issue of tanking isn't just about getting higher draft picks but acknowledging drastic changes need to be made. That it's not enough just being occasionally good, or worrying about pro bowls, stats, or superstars but dominance, team wise, is needed to not just make it to the Super Bowl, but to win it. There can be no letting off the gas. Wins like this favors complacency, because being good at times is good enough. Why rock the boat if you don't have to? So that goes with coaches and front office also. And if things do go wrong, they can just blame the players for a lack of effort. Rinse and repeat.

Edited by Intellectually Honest

I think we will probably be a 7-9 team for the foreseeable future as Quinn and TD will keep tricking Blank with this late season fools gold. Win just enough to convince Blank you just need a little more time to turn it around VS the time it may take for a coaching over haul.

Not good enough for the playoffs not bad enough to clean house and get good draft picks. Pretty much the worst fate possible for a team

38 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

I generally want the Falcons to win. The only exception being is if the Falcons are doing so poorly by mid season, then for me it becomes an issue of long term success. In other words, the willingness to tank the rest of the season to draft higher and hopefully trade down to build some depth and get more quality players. To even clean house front office wise if need be.

Obviously the coaches, front office and players don't want this for various reasons. The main one is their jobs are at stake. So I understand from their POV. That being said, if they are going to fight hard, it does feel good when they get a win like they did over the 49ers. It shows the team has the potential.

So here is the dilemma, and it was an issue that was mentioned during the commentary. Complaceny. Shanny was worried his team would be complacent and allow for the Falcons to beat them. But the main issue for this team, as long as I have been a fan, is complacency.

What worries me as a fan, is while its great to have feel good wins like this, is the team in general starts getting too much confidence again, believing they only need to tweek a few things here or there, and be status quo again, putting faith in the process becuase they were able to be good at times - emphasising the positive, forgetting how they were like overall.

The issue of tanking isn't just about getting higher draft picks but acknowledging drastic changes need to be made. That it's not enough just being occasionally good, or worrying about pro bowls, stats, or superstars but dominance, team wise, is needed to not just make it to the Super Bowl, but to win it. There can be no letting off the gas. Wins like this favors complacency, because being good at times is good enough. Why rock the boat if you don't have to? So that goes with coaches and front office also. And if things do go wrong, they can just blame the players for a lack of effort. Rinse and repeat.

The expectation is raised. Nothing but a championship will do now. As it should be. Heck I remember being thrilled at the Falcons first Winning Season.

Quinn did something that few of you realized. We score and go up by one. If we try the XP and it is fumbled or blocked, the 9ers can return it 100 yards to destroy us. So he decided to take a knee so we control our fate by squib kicking the kickoff and, of all things, score another touchdown. I was impressed to say the least. No, I haven't been a Quinn admirer this year, but this may have tilted my opinion to stick with him a while. 

8 hours ago, slewis1952 said:

Quinn did something that few of you realized. We score and go up by one. If we try the XP and it is fumbled or blocked, the 9ers can return it 100 yards to destroy us. So he decided to take a knee so we control our fate by squib kicking the kickoff and, of all things, score another touchdown. I was impressed to say the least. No, I haven't been a Quinn admirer this year, but this may have tilted my opinion to stick with him a while. 

That would be something that would happen to us lol.

8 hours ago, slewis1952 said:

Quinn'd?