If Today Was Week 1

FalconsIn2012

It’s clear the changes made 5 weeks ago have turned a bad team into a very respectable one...especially on the defensive side of the ball.  Yes, there are still concerns.  We still need a modern and innovative offensive coordinator.

But answer this question. Playing as we are now, if today was Week 1, do you think we make the playoffs?

I say yes

16 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s clear the changes made 5 weeks ago have turned a bad team into a very respectable one...especially on the defensive side of the ball.  Yes, there are still concerns.  We still need a modern and innovative offensive coordinator.

But answer this question. Playing as we are now, if today was Week 1, do you think we make the playoffs?

I say yes

Yea, or if the Saints win was week 1, we’d be 4-2 right now. The 1-7 team feels like a long time ago 

This team?

I say no.  Because it has had a tendency to follow up good performances with equally bad ones.

Philly win followed by horrible stretch where defense couldn’t stop anyone.

Great games against New Orleans and Carolina then two games where the line couldn’t block anyone and they dline couldn’t get any pressure.

This team could do anything from going 2-0 and looking great to giving up 20 sacks.  It’s not been a model of consistency.

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Which begs the question: do you change things up if a winning formula seems to be in place?  If we win out, things get tricky

Yes, because Quinn should be judged on his body of work, not just a 2nd half of a season. Even if the Falcons finish 7-9 this year, that is still a result of 3 out of 5 seasons in missing the playoffs as well as 14-18 in the last 2 seasons. Just not good enough. 

22 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yes, because Quinn should be judged on his body of work, not just a 2nd half of a season. Even if the Falcons finish 7-9 this year, that is still a result of 3 out of 5 seasons in missing the playoffs as well as 14-18 in the last 2 seasons. Just not good enough. 

I understand your position.

I honestly only hold this year as a negative.  2018 was a train wreck no coach was going to effectively navigate.  And 2015 was a step in the right direction after back-to-back losing seasons.

As I said pre-game, Quinn wins 62% of his games if Debo is in the lineup.  He is giving Blank something to think about at the very least

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I understand your position.

I honestly only hold this year as a negative.  2018 was a train wreck no coach was going to effectively navigate.  And 2015 was a step in the right direction after back-to-back losing seasons.

As I said pre-game, Quinn wins 62% of his games if Debo is in the lineup.  He is giving Blank something to think about at the very least

Yea it’s not so much Quinn for me. I’m impartial at this point on him. Don’t love him or hate him. But I think Koetter is all wrong for us. And I fear he stays if Quinn stays

48 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I say yes

Well, it's clear SOMETHING has changed!!!  Whether it's long-term, or not, is the REAL question. 
Let's say, if a full season had started after the bye, we'd be 4-2....then, after 6 more games, we could theoretically be 8-4 with 4 games left.  Then, if we only won half of those remaining games, we'd be 10-6, right?  Would that be enough to make the Playoffs?  More than likely....at least a Wild Card.  
So, to answer your question ---- YES, if we stay on our current path, I think we could make the Playoffs in this hypothetical season ---  ;)  

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You won’t have the same team.

Quinn May end up needing to do more with less.

There’s also lots of players that don’t need to be on this roster but are eating up lots of cap: Brown, Carpenter, Bosher, Freeman, and Sambrailo can all be released and the team doesn’t lose much. 

13 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

I believe we would.. Probably the biggest surprise in all of the last 5 weeks is how little impact Sanu leaving has made.. I think alot of us had thought he was a bigger part of this offense than what he really was.. Anyway, for me thats the biggest surprise 

also how good is Gage?

12 minutes ago, Jesus said:

also how good is Gage?

He's done excellent filling in for the missing Ridley!!!  I've like him ever since I first saw him --- what, a couple of seasons ago?  Seemed like every time he got a touch, he made something good happen!  Now, if we can see more of Ollison, that would be great!!!

4 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea it’s not so much Quinn for me. I’m impartial at this point on him. Don’t love him or hate him. But I think Koetter is all wrong for us. And I fear he stays if Quinn stays

Koetter is the only question mark I have at this point. Not sure you can fire him at this moment as it produces growing pains of going through another OC transition. This may be one where we ride him out for another year. Hopefully something clicks. 

4 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You won’t have the same team.

Quinn May end up needing to do more with less.

Of the guys we could potentially cut, Mack about the only one I would think that hurts us. We can live with out Free, Brow/Carpenter, Ty, and others. Wouldn't  mind Vic back now after his resurgence. Only if he's turnt the corner into being a quality pass rusher now.

4 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

I believe we would.. Probably the biggest surprise in all of the last 5 weeks is how little impact Sanu leaving has made.. I think alot of us had thought he was a bigger part of this offense than what he really was.. Anyway, for me thats the biggest surprise 

I think we do miss him on certain plays, particularly WR screens and getting tough yards on short yardage plays... We haven't seen many of the plays that Sanu was really good at since he left.

But we are able to make up for it with Hooper and the emergence of Gage.

5 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Which begs the question: do you change things up if a winning formula seems to be in place?  If we win out, things get tricky

Quinn did not have this team ready to play in week one.  These consolation games mean little in the grand scheme. 

Quinn is not the guy for sustained success. 

Koetter should go.

But IF he stays, Koetter should be allowed to run his offense.  Free reign.  Change the terminology, tthe whole 9 yards.  Because what we're doing is horrific.  And it's a lot of miscommunication issues, which means they aren't speaking the same language.  Get the coach back in his comfort zone and ride or die with that.  He runs the same basic offense Arians does I think, and that seems to be having some success in Tampa.

Christian Blake missed a block on a screen yesterday.  I don't mean he whiffed.  I mean he ran an angle route instead.  That means everyone isn't on the same page, which is probably because Koetter is calling someone else's playbook.  Philosophy, communication, and detail are all missing right now.  Let him teach his stuff his way or get rid of him.  I'm in favor of the latter, but the worst thing we could do is bring him back with the handcuffs still on.

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Koetter should go.

But IF he stays, Koetter should be allowed to run his offense.  Free reign.  Change the terminology, tthe whole 9 yards.  Because what we're doing is horrific.  And it's a lot of miscommunication issues, which means they aren't speaking the same language.  Get the coach back in his comfort zone and ride or die with that.  He runs the same basic offense Arians does I think, and that seems to be having some success in Tampa.

Christian Blake missed a block on a screen yesterday.  I don't mean he whiffed.  I mean he ran an angle route instead.  That means everyone isn't on the same page, which is probably because Koetter is calling someone else's playbook.  Philosophy, communication, and detail are all missing right now.  Let him teach his stuff his way or get rid of him.  I'm in favor of the latter, but the worst thing we could do is bring him back with the handcuffs still on.

That's to be expected with Blake though imo. Little to no experience in real game situations. This week and last week he showed that he has zero situational awareness. If that doesn't improve I don't want him getting many snaps going forward. Loved the preseason potential but my goodness.