2019 Draft Revisit: DT’s

FalconsIn2012

There was a ton of debate regarding us drafting one of the three premier DT’s coming out last year.  Quinn em was the landslide favorite.  Like Chase Young, he was considers a unique, once every 5 year defensive player.  There was also Ed Oliver and Dexter Lawrence.  I loved all three.  Many said to trade 2-3 first round picks to snag Williams.  I hated the idea

Though it’s still early, it looks like Ed Oliver is having the best season, followed by Dex and then Q.  This is why trading up in the first round is a fools errand.  Stay put this year, TD.  Draft the best player for our team when our name is called.  Or here’s a novel idea, move back and collect an extra top 64 pick.  Since it’s never happened, I won’t hold my breath

Oliver with 6 sacks multiple FF’s while eating up more double teams than Grady and ranking 8th amongst all DT’s for pass rush win rate is impressive

ELnPMC9XYAINBHW.jpg.c6bbd3b2f9709552bbed

And investing for OL for the future is also important. The two OL picked up was a good decision in the long run. Too bad, we lost both due to injuries during the season or missing all of preseasons. These two OL will be more impactful next year with more experience and practice. 

The draft is very speculative in nature and all the investments have serious risk for not delivering. 

Edited by stingbee

12 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Even with hindsight in consideration, I like the trade up this year. We got better long term value compared to what we might've drafted. If we weren't picking Maxx Crosby & Eric McCoy in rounds 2 & 3, then I don't see much else we could've done that will be better than taking Mcgary.

Justin Skule has been better at Tackle and was taken in the 6th.

Jenkins & McCoy would have been sweet...or Crosby, Thornhill.  

If moving up was the intention, I would have preferred Sweat Or Simmons

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

You're talking about a guy drafted by the 49ers. Schrader looked good under Shanny. 

I mean see some value, but just looking at a longterm value perspective, we solidified our OL. We gained a lot flexibility in drafting Mcgary. 

I like Sweat and thought he was the move we were looking at. Washington took him like 2 or 3 picks before our wheel house opened up.

I would've been okay with trading down and possibly getting the right assets to essentially take Simmons, Sweat, and McCoy, but I'm not mad at what we got. 

19 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

You're reaching on this one. Come on, my brother. And we've tried two 3 tech types. It doesn't generally work well,

4 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

There was a ton of debate regarding us drafting one of the three premier DT’s coming out last year.  Quinn em was the landslide favorite.  Like Chase Young, he was considers a unique, once every 5 year defensive player.  There was also Ed Oliver and Dexter Lawrence.  I loved all three.  Many said to trade 2-3 first round picks to snag Williams.  I hated the idea

Though it’s still early, it looks like Ed Oliver is having the best season, followed by Dex and then Q.  This is why trading up in the first round is a fools errand.  Stay put this year, TD.  Draft the best player for our team when our name is called.  Or here’s a novel idea, move back and collect an extra top 64 pick.  Since it’s never happened, I won’t hold my breath

Oliver with 6 sacks multiple FF’s while eating up more double teams than Grady and ranking 8th amongst all DT’s for pass rush win rate is impressive

ELnPMC9XYAINBHW.jpg.c6bbd3b2f9709552bbed

Ed Oliver’s  having the best season of those 3? How do you figure that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sportsnaut.com/2019/11/top-10-nfl-rookies-so-far-this-season/amp/

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-rookie-rankings-nfl-week-12-2019

We should have drafted Lawrence. 

15 hours ago, stingbee said:

And investing for OL for the future is also important. The two OL picked up was a good decision in the long run. Too bad, we lost both due to injuries during the season or missing all of preseasons. These two OL will be more impactful next year with more experience and practice. 

The draft is very speculative in nature and all the investments have serious risk for not delivering. 

You still don't understand what he's trying to say.  You could have still got a good lineman in the second round without having to give up a draft choice.  Remember the old saying about putting all your eggs in 1 basket.

The only reason Lindstrom isn’t in any talk of best rookies is because he wasn’t on the field. IMO he was and still is the right pick, even over Lawrence.

i am excited for McGary’s future, think he can be very good w better coaching. That said I didn’t love the pick because Gono still could be the better tackle of the two. I have been a big Gono fan since his rookie camps, and reading about him as a big sleeper.

The guy I would have taken in 2 Back then likely would have been Chase Winovich. I was surprised he went round 3, and mocked him as a round two pick. Just loved his motor and versatility...thought he had the results at MICH but Gary getting all the love because of his measurables and ‘potential’

i remember hearing some good things about him early in NE, but not sure how good he has been so far.

17 hours ago, Vandy said:

Ed Oliver’s  having the best season of those 3? How do you figure that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sportsnaut.com/2019/11/top-10-nfl-rookies-so-far-this-season/amp/

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-rookie-rankings-nfl-week-12-2019

We should have drafted Lawrence. 

I preferred Lawrence but Ed has gone bonkers the last month.  4 sacks, 4 TFL, 3 QB Hits, 2 Fumbles, 2 PD in the past month while getting doubled more often than Grady has pushed Oliver ahead of Dex IMO.  And both are better than Quinnen so far...

Would still like either on our defense.  

4 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I preferred Lawrence but Ed has gone bonkers the last month.  4 sacks, 4 TFL, 3 QB Hits, 2 Fumbles, 2 PD in the past month while getting doubled more often than Grady has pushed Oliver ahead of Dex IMO.  And both are better than Quinnen so far...

Would still like either on our defense.  

I hear you. My point is Lawrence has done it all year, while Oliver has come on in December. I also believe a stud 1-tech DT paired with Grady is more important to defense long-term than having another 3-tech....most folks in here (not saying you, just fans in general) get all hyper-focused on stats instead of understanding what a 1-tech DT actually does for a defense....which as you know, doesn’t usually show up in the “stats”

All that plus as you pointed out in OP, we would have had to trade up at a fairly high cost for Williams or Oliver....while Lawrence was sitting there at #14.

TAFT, or more importantly TD...falling in love with media-hyped “can’t miss” draft picks ....be it Q Williams-Ed Oliver, Chase Young, Jonathon Allen, Vita Vea....is a very dangerous drafting approach. 

Dex Lawrence was a no-brainer. And all Quinn had to do to keep his job was lose the last game to Tampa last year and move up to a Top 5 pick AND THEN trade down or up or whatever. Instead we are AGAIN looking at a Top 5 pick. This is the same old falcons same old apologists and same old hindsight is 20/20 bs as I've been seeing for YEARRRSSSS!

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

I hear you. My point is Lawrence has done it all year, while Oliver has come on in December. I also believe a stud 1-tech DT paired with Grady is more important to defense long-term than having another 3-tech....most folks in here (not saying you, just fans in general) get all hyper-focused on stats instead of understanding what a 1-tech DT actually does for a defense....which as you know, doesn’t usually show up in the “stats”

All that plus as you pointed out in OP, we would have had to trade up at a fairly high cost for Williams or Oliver....while Lawrence was sitting there at #14.

TAFT, or more importantly TD...falling in love with media-hyped “can’t miss” draft picks ....be it Q Williams-Ed Oliver, Chase Young, Jonathon Allen, Vita Vea....is a very dangerous drafting approach. 

Or Lindstrom at 14, a better run game and offense to protect this defense that was clearly not just one player away and a roster built to get a lead and defend the lead?

We’ve played backward all year and Chris is getting a bad wrap just from being hurt.

If we are being “fair” here, replace Chris with anyone and have him miss every game save 2 games...

What changes?

Coaching.

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

Who says those guys would have done well in Atlanta?

Everyone talks about how bad the coaches are here yet thinks they can coach someone else to succeed but not the guys the team has on roster.

This times a million. We talk about players doing well here and one area still being a major red flag be our undoing.

Coaching is the problem. Morris goes to DB coach, DQ stops trying to do too much, and suddenly the DL starts balling.

What changed? Roster?

We have players. We need UNITS to perform. Do your job. Must need more videotaping of other teams to help our guys be schemed right! :ninja: