Koo's 63 and 65-yard FGs

Monolith2001

Apologies in advance for 1.  Posting this if it has been already posted and 2. Anyone thinking I am a big Koo homer as I am just admiring some of the things he has done.   I would be fine with him being our kicker in 2020 but he still needs to solidify the job against competition next preseason.  Got reco'd this video by the YT gods of Koo in competition last year making 63 and 65 yard kicks in a somewhat competitive pressure environment.  Also coach points out something I see in some of his long range accuracy several times.

13 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I like the kid. Still not sure about his long range though. Easier done in shorts and no helmet or pads. 

I want a guy who can make a game winner fro. 6o yards. I hope he is that guy. 

To be fair, that's...Justin Tuck? Maybe Bryant in his prime? Janikowski on a really good day? Not many kickers with both that leg and that ability under pressure.

10 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

To be fair, that's...Justin Tuck? Maybe Bryant in his prime? Janikowski on a really good day? Not many kickers with both that leg and that ability under pressure.

Agreed, most kickers either have the leg and aren't that accurate or are very accurate but don't have the leg.  60 yard game winners are the exception, not the rule.

51 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I like the kid. Still not sure about his long range though. Easier done in shorts and no helmet or pads. 

Every team wants that guy lol. It doesn't happen often and it probably wont happen for a very long time with the Falcons.

30 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

It's unrealistic to "expect" 60+.  I would take having a prayer from 60+, with favorable odds of making it from 50+.  Janikowski was 55.2% from 50+ over his career.  Matt Bryant was 64.5% from 50+.  Justin Tucker is at 70.1%, albeit with a lot less attempts, but still pretty unheard of.  A kicker is good if they can hit over 50% from 50+ yards.  Those guys tend to be automatic inside 40 yards with over 80% from 40+.  

5 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

True, my point was he is not a long leg guy. The long FGs in shorts tryouts is a misnomer. Koo has a shot from 55 and in.

If he stops kicking those knuckle balls, ill gladly take him if he is 85% 49 yards and less and 50% 50-59 yard range. I'll even take 40% from 50-59 yard range. We shouldn't have to rely on our kicker making multiple 50 yarders to win games anyways.

1 hour ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

If he stops kicking those knuckle balls, ill gladly take him if he is 85% 49 yards and less and 50% 50-59 yard range. I'll even take 40% from 50-59 yard range. We shouldn't have to rely on our kicker making multiple 50 yarders to win games anyways.

Haha yeah I am not comfortable watching them knuckle ball kicks, and I am sure his HC and ST Coach don't either.

2 hours ago, freefall said:

Haha yeah I am not comfortable watching them knuckle ball kicks, and I am sure his HC and ST Coach don't either.

Don't think that's changing though. It's what he's comfortable with, and he can hit 60+ that way. Hitting under 50 consistently is good with me, and he'll improve with time. Not saying I like it, either. But if it ain't broke...

Considering the guy kicked 3 onside kicks in a row that we recovered in one game and has the potential to kick 50+ at the drop of a hat, we shouldn't have to look elsewhere for a while. Sure, some of the kicks have been close but I think he can polish things a bit over a full season or two.  I like the fact that he came from an in-state college as well. It's also funny that everyone yells "Kooooooooo" after he hits a FG (or gets an onside kick), let's just hope that "Kooooo" doesn't turn into "Boooo".

9 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I think he just has to develop chemistry with the blockers and holder. He has more than enough leg, and accuracy. It's the pressure vs straight line kicks and high kicks. 

11 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Mos guys arent putti ng pads in their pants anymore

3 hours ago, wartownfalcon said:

He kicks knuckleballs

I think its on purpose. His kick ofts ate end over end.