Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ya_boi_j

Early salary cap projection

42 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Definitely alleviates some pressure and this is one thing I’m pretty sure the FO has calculated with these extensions.

Unlike the cap warriors on here painting the doom and gloom without all the facts.

I’ll stand by my assertion.  We have handed out too many elite level contracts.  Four appears to be the right number.  We have 7.  Just makes your roster much less balanced when it’s all said and done.  

Remove Trufant, Matthews & Freeman’s contracts and we would have a far more balanced roster the next two years.  Of course you’d have to draft Matthews replacement which isn’t easy.  

46 minutes ago, AustFalcon said:

That would be good, but we are still over it.

True, but at $201M, with the surplus from 2019 that we can roll over we'd be almost balanced. A few cuts to deadweight and we are in business.

7 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’ll stand by my assertion.  We have handed out too many elite level contracts.  Four appears to be the right number.  We have 7.  Just makes your roster much less balanced when it’s all said and done.  

Remove Trufant, Matthews & Freeman’s contracts and we would have a far more balanced roster the next two years.  Of course you’d have to draft Matthews replacement which isn’t easy.  

I'd keep Matthews. No reason to start up another OL carousel.

Is Matthews

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Where does Matthews contract stand based on elite(top 5?) status?

3 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

True, but at $201M, with the surplus from 2019 that we can roll over we'd be almost balanced. A few cuts to deadweight and we are in business.

We'd be about balanced but will still need to add 12 players just to get to a 53 man roster. Several of those would have to replace players who are current starters. Gonna take more than a few deadweight cuts to free up enough cap. Troffed.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

5 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

What would you call dead weight on team (stop laughing). Real cuts and realized gains, dead cap hits not in play, they gonna have to eat some money to really move the needle.

1 minute ago, OrthoPTSD said:

What would you call dead weight on team (stop laughing). Real cuts and realized gains, dead cap hits not in play, they gonna have to eat some money to really move the needle.

I believe there's a pinned thread on potential cuts on the front page that has a lot of specific details.

18 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I can definitely see Tru and Free money coming off the books(cut) this off-season... hopefully or trade Tru on draft draft

Geneaut likes this

Just now, OrthoPTSD said:

Ouch, but not going anywhere

Well, the nice thing about that is it's a good contract to 'borrow' from if you need to create some cap space. Also because it's a little longer than some of the other Top 5 ( signed through 24 ) when we get to the end of it the numbers will be more in line with most LTs and won't seem bad at all.

Just now, lju713 said:

I can definitely see Tru and Free money coming off the books(cut) this off-season... hopefully or trade Tru on draft draft

Neal seems like an easy one also even though I hate it for him.

JDaveG likes this

1 minute ago, Geneaut said:

Neal seems like an easy one also even though I hate it for him.

At 6.5 right? Is that realized cap savings?

Just now, OrthoPTSD said:

At 6.5 right? Is that realized cap savings?

That's what OTC says when you run the cut through the calculator.

I hate it for the young man, but that's a decent chunk of change. 

Carry over our 4-5 mil..... We are like 1 mil over...

So the most likely moves

ty sambrailo: 3.7 mil

Free: 3.5 mil

Matt Schaub: 2 mil

Allen Bailey: 4.5 mil

So this is around 13 mil..... Most likely Matt will get a restructure that will put us around 20 mil.

Then the new staff has Mack to think about...

We will be able to create some space but we are gonna need vet min signines like Davison and Clayborn for that vet min... 

We have alto if roster spots to fill so we will have to find some gems in FA and we must hit on the draft

11 minutes ago, lju713 said:

I mean imagine the roster if they had never been given the contracts.  We could add 6-7 very good starters for the 41 million they count on the CAP next year.  

JDaveG likes this

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I mean imagine the roster if they had never been given the contracts.  We could add 6-7 very good starters for the 41 million they count on the CAP next year.  

Or 6-7 busts that everyone will want cut and the staff all fired.

RING OF HONOR likes this

23 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We'd be about balanced but will still need to add 12 players just to get to a 53 man roster. Several of those would have to replace players who are current starters. Gonna take more than a few deadweight cuts to free up enough cap. Troffed.

We have been saying it for two years.  Way too top heavy

Falcons are bad, 2020 salary cap situation makes things worse

Michael David Smith
2 months ago

Teams sometimes try to sign a core nucleus of top players to expensive contracts in an effort to make a Super Bowl run, and then worry about the salary cap consequences later. The long-term effectiveness of that strategy is debatable, but it at least ought to produce a good team in the short term.

What the Atlanta Falcons are doing is something different: They’re one of the worst teams in the league, and they simultaneously have the worst salary cap situation in the league heading into 2020.

As noted by Zack Moore of OverTheCap.com, the Falcons project to be $8.7 million over the cap next year based only on the players they currently have under contract, before they draft any rookies or sign any free agents.

That’s largely a result of spending big money on a few key players, most notably Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, who all by themselves are expected to count for 27 percent of the Falcons’ salary cap next year. The five most expensive players on the Falcons (Ryan, Jones, Jake Matthews, Grady Jarrett and Desmond Trufant) are slated to cost more than half the salary cap. Five players. More than half of the entire salary cap.

Keep going down the roster to the Top 10 players, the Top 22 players, or however you want to slice it, and the end result is the same: The Falcons have an extraordinary amount invested in the top of their roster, which leaves precious little cap space for the rest of the roster. Next year they’re going to have to fill a lot of holes with league-minimum-salary players.

And maybe that would be OK, if the highly paid stars at the top of the roster were capable of carrying a team all by themselves. But they’re not. The Falcons are 1-6 with those highly paid stars. There’s absolutely no reason to believe they’ll be any better next year.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said after Sunday’s loss that he still supports head coach Dan Quinn. Perhaps he realizes that the Falcons’ roster has been constructed so poorly that no coach can turn them around any time soon.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

5 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Carry over our 4-5 mil..... We are like 1 mil over...

So the most likely moves

ty sambrailo: 3.7 mil

Free: 3.5 mil

Matt Schaub: 2 mil

Allen Bailey: 4.5 mil

So this is around 13 mil..... Most likely Matt will get a restructure that will put us around 20 mil.

Then the new staff has Mack to think about...

We will be able to create some space but we are gonna need vet min signines like Davison and Clayborn for that vet min... 

We have alto if roster spots to fill so we will have to find some gems in FA and we must hit on the draft

Plus sign Hooper & Dre

The onlyyyyy.. position I would spend some real money on is a pass rusher in FA.... everything else with be near vet min depth...

I honestly don't think  we lack major talent.... it's just getting the D-Line right.

To go with gray and takk..... we will draft in the top 12..... Walk out the draft with either Derrick Brown, A.J Epenesa, or my boy Javon Kinlaw.... and Grab you a rusher in FA