The most overrated player in the history of each franchise

Tribal Chief

Have no issue with a lot of names listed. In fact some are popular by name, not production. If you don't like slideshows, don't click the link. Also it's only opinion so don't get to bent out of shape if you're a Vick fan

Atlanta Falcons: Michael Vick

Capture-34.png Joe Murphy/NFLPhotoLibrary

Michael Vick is the most athletic quarterback in the history of the National Football League. Never has professional football seen a talent possessing Vick’s combination of elite arm strength, sprinter’s speed, and cat-quick agility. He was undoubtedly a very popular football player (up until his scandal involving dogs). For all of the flash plays, Vick remains as an overrated football player. Vick has a career completion percentage of only 56.2. With Atlanta, Vick’s overall record (38-28-1) was decent — though not excellent. The same can be said for his postseason record (2-2) and postseason quarterback rating (76.0) with Atlanta.

https://newarena.com/nfl/the-most-overrated-player-in-the-history-of-each-nfl-franchise/11/?amxt=ref_2_inview_vat

4 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

My thinking was to be thought 'over-rated' you actually have to be good enough to be considered 'rated'. Not may Falcons get to even that level LOL.

Deion, Matt, JJ .... Riggs or Jam? Rison maybe?

Of all the names you just listed, I'd put Vick over all of them as most overrated. Then again, his style of play didn't impress me much. My opinion is bias because of that :lol::lol:

24 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I mean I see where they are going with that, but I'm not sure I would have picked MV7.

That said, is it really Matt ? Yeah, I said it. < fire suit on >

No, Ryan is usually underrated by the mainstream sports media and is often ranked behind other QBs who don't put up as good of numbers. Whereas Vick was worshipped by the media (in his prime) but in the end finished with numbers that are not that great outside of his stellar rushing abilities. I loved watching Vick play for the Falcons, but yes he is probably the most overrated Falcon of all time.

27 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I mean I see where they are going with that, but I'm not sure I would have picked MV7.

Lol Ryan is on the most underrated not overrated list.  National media and Falcons fans alike rarely ever give Ryan the credit he deserves so how can he be overrated?  By who?

Now back to Vick, not sure if he is the most overrated player in Falcons history or not, but I do know that he was not a better QB here than he was in Philly, but to be honest can any Falcons player be overrated?  I mean playing for the Falcons mean most of them don't get the recognition they deserve because how bad the franchise has been.

Absurdly dumb.  He is overrated by a small portion of our fanbase who thinks he didn't do anything wrong, shouldn't have gone to prison, and will never forgive Matt Ryan for the hubris of being drafted by us after he did.  He MIGHT be overrated by people who remember his electric play and how fun it was to watch, but forget the flagging offense and bad decisions and lack of consistent success.  Most people remember him as what he was -- a phenomenally talented QB who wasted his time here being a dip****.

But the most overrated in franchise history?  I mean come on.  I love Jamal Anderson, but I'd put him up there over Vick.  Mostly because he had one great season and then couldn't stay on the field, but people remember him like we had some sustained string of success with him pounding the ball in the backfield.  I wouldn't vote for him in this spot either, though.

No, I give that honor to Chris Miller.  From reading what people say about him, I think people have fond memories of expectations versus anything he actually did while playing for us. Dude just wasn't that good, but people remember him similarly to Anderson.  He had one good season.  And the rest just wasn't good at all.

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Absurdly dumb.  He is overrated by a small portion of our fanbase who thinks he didn't do anything wrong, shouldn't have gone to prison, and will never forgive Matt Ryan for the hubris of being drafted by us after he did.  He MIGHT be overrated by people who remember his electric play and how fun it was to watch, but forget the flagging offense and bad decisions and lack of consistent success.  Most people remember him as what he was -- a phenomenally talented QB who wasted his time here being a dip****.

But the most overrated in franchise history?  I mean come on.  I love Jamal Anderson, but I'd put him up there over Vick.  Mostly because he had one great season and then couldn't stay on the field, but people remember him like we had some sustained string of success with him pounding the ball in the backfield.  I wouldn't vote for him in this spot either, though.

No, I give that honor to Chris Miller.  From reading what people say about him, I think people have fond memories of expectations versus anything he actually did while playing for us. Dude just wasn't that good, but people remember him similarly to Anderson.  He had one good season.  And the rest just wasn't good at all.

All I remember about Chris Miller is he was made out of glass and delicate like a flower.  He is definitely not overrated by me.:lol:

Just now, freefall said:

All I remember about Chris Miller is he was made out of glass and delicate like a flower.  He is definitely not overrated by me.:lol:

You probably aren't (because it's true both ways), but you aren't confusing him with Chris Chandler, are you?

Actually, I could be persuaded to switch the two.  Chandler got us to our first dance.  I think people forget he was largely unremarkable outside that one season.

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

You probably aren't (because it's true both ways), but you aren't confusing him with Chris Chandler, are you?

Actually, I could be persuaded to switch the two.  Chandler got us to our first dance.  I think people forget he was largely unremarkable outside that one season.

No I am thinking about Miller.  I just remember he just got hurt all the time.  Seem to remember he was hurt during the game a lot.  Chandler was almost the same.  I can't imagine both of them would be able to stay in the game with the kind of hits Ryan has taken through his career.  For Ryan sake I hope it won't affect him much when he get older. 

50 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

If anything, Matt is criminally underrated (even by our own fans), and I'd venture to say it's because MV7 is overrated and Matt replaced him.

19 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Miller blew his knee out running wide open in the Dome once. No one was even in camera range of him when it happened. He really took a beating in that Run and Shoot offense. He retired because of concussions after he left the Falcons.

19 minutes ago, No.11 said:

If anything, Matt is criminally underrated (even by our own fans), and I'd venture to say it's because MV7 is overrated and Matt replaced him.

Could be.  I remember after the Thanksgiving lost to NO Yahoo posted an article and most of the comment about Ryan was how he is overrated, average, mediocre, turnover prone, etc...They compared him to Andy Dalton, Matthew Stafford, and Phillip Rivers which is asinine because those 3 all have come up small during the playoffs whereas Ryan actually play better in the playoffs than during the regular season.  It just goes to show that average or casual fans have no idea how good Ryan has been so it's not a surprise that Ryan would be underrated.  I truly believe with Ryan plays and production he would have at least a SB or 2 if he played for someone else instead of here.  He would have at least 1 here if his coaches didn't forget how to coach in the 2nd half of the 2016 SB.  Seriously I don't think it's possible to lose if they just run the balls 3 times and kick the FG being up by 11 and less than 3-4 min to play(depending if NE called TO or not).  But no they have to pass allowing for miss blocked sack and holding penalty forcing them out of FG range. Ryan was robbed of a ring yet most casual fans blamed him for it.

Somewhere floating around the internet are countless posts by me, each complaining about what an awful passer Vick was. Having said that, he is in no way our most overrated “player” on our team. When taken as an individual player, he was as dynamic a force as the league had (and one could argue has to this day) seen. 

Today’s rules allow these QBs to run around without fear of being hit in any meaningful way. Vick wasn’t afforded that luxury, and yet he was still able to confound virtually every defense he faced. 

Had Blank not made the truly terrible decision to fire coach Dan, he might have developed better habits over time. 

Not many overrated Falcons come to mind. Can't say I agree with Vick. I think some fans for sure overrate him, but not most fans. He wasn't really rated that highly as a passer by anyone during his time as a Falcon, everyone was pretty much waiting every season for his light to switch on with the passing so he could take the next step and become unguardable. As it stands he was a deserving pro-bowl type player when he played with the Falcons and wasn't helped much by a truly meager offensive supporting cast. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot