Goober Pyle

Interesting article on McCarthy

49 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

In the past yes, but when you have MR & JJ, it will be a sought out position.

@JDaveG @runshoot and Boise It'd be awesome. See, Im 54 and seen all this before. This mindset sets in on us older fans and you think you're destined  for let down. Here's hoping you are all right. That'd be awesome.  Thanks fellers

Boise Falcon Fan and JDaveG like this

40 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Exactly. The same people who gripe on him are the types who thought same of Andy Reid. 

I’d bet money we aren’t hiring ANY first time head coach. That’s what makes hiring someone with McCarthy’s track record an obvious fit here. I wouldn’t be even mildly surprised to find out Blank has already had conversations with him. 

Good post.

36 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they hired someone like Stefanski or McDaniels.  Short of that, I'm just not wowed by anyone out there right now.  I'd rather hope for Kyle to get spanked in the playoffs and have a bad season and bring him back than to just go on a coaching search to say we did it.

I could see those two, maybe David Shaw if he leaves Stanford, but I just don't see Blank being jazzed over another DC

BUBBASBEANS and JDaveG like this

I’ll echo the mentioned the best part I like is learning continual learning and improvement.Trying to stay with and on top of trends.Reading this I think even after all that success in GB McCarthys still on the improve and hasn’t stagnated if anything this break he’s had is a chance to freshen up his mind  and make him hungrier.

This articles bought me around to a McCarthy hire.

57 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Exactly. The same people who gripe on him are the types who thought same of Andy Reid. 

I’d bet money we aren’t hiring ANY first time head coach. That’s what makes hiring someone with McCarthy’s track record an obvious fit here. I wouldn’t be even mildly surprised to find out Blank has already had conversations with him. 

I’m with this whoever it maybe I don’t want a first time HC there’s too much learning to do.By the time a lot get it figured out some of this teams premier talent is history.

I think a lot fall in love with the sexy names and the guys who come in and run the next big thing.

Give me experience today tomorrow every other day of the week.

The Falcons need guys in the power positions within the organisation that have the ability to finish.

thanat0s likes this

Great article --- thanks for sharing!  Just re-enforces what I've thought about Mike McCarthy all along.  Helluva coach, and we would be lucky/blessed to get him, for all the obvious reasons outlined in this post!!!  He'll be a man on a mission, now, to show Green Bay they made a terrible mistake when they fired him --- and I hope WE are the recipient of that determination ---  ;)   

So, open those purse strings, Arthur, and bring him home!  

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they hired someone like Stefanski or McDaniels.  Short of that, I'm just not wowed by anyone out there right now.  I'd rather hope for Kyle to get spanked in the playoffs and have a bad season and bring him back than to just go on a coaching search to say we did it.

This article did sway me a little about McCarthy.

If he is a serious candidate, I'd like to see him pair up with Mike McDaniel as OC, given the latter's track record for producing stellar running games (even without elite RB talent).

I still like David Shaw from Stanford as a candidate.

JDaveG likes this

9 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Oh, I think there's plenty about this job that would be attractive, IF the organization will get out of his way.  I think him coming on is more likely if we fire TD than if we don't.

That’s the thing...it’s also why I don’t see him coming here. He’s going to want to be running the show I think with personnel, and TD and/or Artie aren’t going to hand that over. Even if TD gets canned, I don’t think Blank is going to stop mandating what happens concerning his favorite players.

JDaveG likes this

2 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

McCarthy is a great hire if the fan base was 80. And we were running the West Coast Offense. 

What’s your biggest beef with the hire.

I think with where we are as a franchise that he would make the most sense. Its not a total rebuild and we still have a good nucleus.  I mean we were talking SB at the beginning of the season. Plus, Matt Ryan has shown that he can be quite impressive in a WCO. If we get a decent DC I wouldn't mind it, as long as we get rid of Thomas we should be good. And if you look at next years schedule we could make some noise. We play 4 playoff teams so you never know.

MR & JJ only have 3 maybe 4 years left at their peaks, so we might as well go with someone who has been there before. Im not all for it but it makes that most sense IMHO. Plus it would give MR ONE scheme to finish out his career. We wouldn't have to worry about the play caller leaving unless he gets fired. 

thanat0s likes this

That was a great article!!  I hope AB has the “melinium falcon” headed to GB to bring big mike to the Atl!  GM/HC!!  Let him help clean up scouting dept so we know everyone’s on the same page internally....,,.no time to waste!

Refried Beans likes this

16 hours ago, Skeetbird said:

But the sad thing is the Atlanta Job has never been a sexy job for big name coaches ....with the exception of Reeves, I personally don't count Glanville and his circus act. But hey who knows? I'd definitely be ok with this.

He has the opportunity to coach Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley and try to bring the Falcons it's first championship.

Skeetbird likes this

6 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Mike McCarthy wont adjust come crunch time. Watch and see. I think the decision has already been made so it is what it is. 

Adjust in what way.

From what this article is saying he’s seeing things especially how he finished in GB in a light he hasn’t seen before.

He’s leaving no stone unturned I haven’t heard of too many coaches while taking time out putting this much time into setting himself up for a return.

I mean he’s got a resume that embarrassed what we have at OC right now.

I think the key for him is getting thee right team around him.

12 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

That’s the thing...it’s also why I don’t see him coming here. He’s going to want to be running the show I think with personnel, and TD and/or Artie aren’t going to hand that over. Even if TD gets canned, I don’t think Blank is going to stop mandating what happens concerning his favorite players.

If that’s the case, it doesn’t matter who we hire.