Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheDirtyWordII

A TDWII Observation: The Panthers & Falcons Rebuilds Will Occur Side-by-Side, But…

125 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, vel said:

Please, don't quote me for swift third party. I ignored it the first time. I could give two shlts about what swift thinks. Tell him I said that. 

I love this 

Vandy likes this

57 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

How many times did I bring up Ryan in my OP?

Once.  But the premise revolves around the fact we are older & lack CAP flexibility.  And since Ryan is 35 and eats up double the CAP of nearly any other player we have, it’s not tough to understand what you are infering

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'll never forget. There was like 10 of us with enough patience to let it play out.... 

Yes, I remember you were one of the few soldiers out there fighting against the mob....

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Once.  But the premise revolves around the fact we are older & lack CAP flexibility.  And since Ryan is 35 and eats up double the CAP of nearly any other player we have, it’s not tough to understand what you are infering

That's the thing. We can make the inference. He doesn't have to say it outright. 

Vandy and Schwarzwald like this

51 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Why should I care what somebody who was wrong about literally everything Ryan related has to say? He said he'd never top 7 ypa, he'd never pass for 4000 yards, he'd never have 30 tds ect ect. I don't care what that moron thinks. 

Well said, and you've been on these boards a long time like I have. Remember swift’s spam about brohm over Ryan and all that garbage dating back literally to the 2008 draft.

2 hours ago, TSprings said:

This is a very ****ing chart for Rodgers, BARLEY preforming better than what he is expected to given his pass protection.

And Ryan? doing more with WAY LESS. 

This chart may show Ryan is the best light given his worst season ever so far. 

Geneaut likes this

11 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

So...

Are we not an old roster?  Do we have cap flexibility for the next 1-2 seasons?

Honest question here, but would you feel differently about Ryan’s future here if his contract situation more resembled Cam’s?

FalconsIn2012 likes this

3 hours ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Top 5 QB?  Really?

Mahomes
Rodgers
Lamar
Rodgers
Brees
Watson
Wilson

...the guys above are all IMO without question preferable.  In some cases also above, I think you're seriously overrating our talent (top 5 LB?).  I think this is the really interesting divide upcoming this off-season.  Rebuild v retool.

You don’t think Jones is a top-five linebacker?

3ixwsc.jpg

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Rodgers has only eclipsed 4,500 yards once.  Ryan has averaged 4,650 yards per season since 2011

Don’t more pass attempts lead to higher total yardage totals?

5 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

So...

Are we not an old roster?  Do we have cap flexibility for the next 1-2 seasons?

Honest question here, but would you feel differently about Ryan’s future here if his contract situation more resembled Cam’s?

I’ve addressed my thoughts here.

6 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Yes, but you also need distance. Rodgers hasn't broken 7.5 YPA since 2014...

Geneaut likes this

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’ve addressed my thoughts here.

So there’s some agreement here...you’re focused in on Burrow, but ultimately a young QB on a rookie contract isn’t a dealbreaker.  Correct?

12 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Since 2008, Ryan averages 52 more pass attempts per year.  Credit to him for moving the chains and keeping the offense on the field.

Vut the numbers are skewed since Rodgers missed half a season

vel and Schwarzwald like this

12 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

You don’t think Jones is a top-five linebacker?

3ixwsc.jpg

Perhaps if limited to MLB/ILB...but this season has been a step back.  Coupled with his limited 2018, and it’s been awhile since we’ve seen him at a Top 5 level even within the limited construct of the possibility.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

10 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

So there’s some agreement here...you’re focused in on Burrow, but ultimately a young QB on a rookie contract isn’t a dealbreaker.  Correct?

I would only jettison Ryan if a generational talent was an option...And even then, I would only do it because our CAP was crippled by Dimitrov extending  2 too many elite level contracts

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I would only jettison Ryan if a generational talent was an option...And even then, I would only do it because our CAP was crippled by Dimitrov extending  2 too many elite level contracts

...and what about positioning the franchise to be able to draft a generational talent?

1 hour ago, vel said:

Nobody would have said that in 2015. People would have laughed if you put Kyle in the same conversation as Reid and Payton back then. 

Amazing what great coaching and great players can accomplish together when it clicks...dynasties are made that way:

Belichick/Brady (same offensive system and same guru HC/DC)

Payton/Brees (took bountygate to win a SB)

McCarthy/Rodgers (when they were on they were on, but their SB run? Back of elite defense)

Even Peyton Manning won SBs with...good defense or great defense. His OC in Denver when he set another record for TDs? Kubiak.

We judge Matt off NEAR bottom 3rd defense; much like Brees career, but without the benefit of elite OC for the duration.

^That. Is your stat difference...may not guarantee a SB without situational calls or defense playing at least average or complimentary as the normal...but Ryan has been at a disadvantage.

Yet, only thing you hear? He has always had weapons!

(Meanwhile, not much of a run game or defense or OC)

This year is a prime example.

Mularkey, Koetter, and Shanahan all got HC gigs off of LARGELY their work with RYAN.

Note* Sark was never gonna get a shot at HC in NFL without longer than 2 years given his recovery timeframe and track record. Back to Bama and college he went but I kinda wish we kept him and brought Kubiak in as a consultant instead of Minny...yeah you don’t get Kubiak the OC but maybe Sark could’ve gotten huge level up in NFL awareness and application of what needs tweaking/design/attention etc for NFL given Gary KNOWING the offense SARK was FORCED to run in Atlanta trying to follow Kyle.

We lost the run game details for outside zone...left with McDaniels and here we are having hoped Mularkey would restore some of that early Ryan career run game and somehow make Dirk better...Kubiak as a consultant with Sark would’ve ran circles around this offense we see this year but all we have are a few knee jerks looking at less efficient stats from Matt and a tick up in INT?

lol

Vandy and vel like this

Why are these guys, birds, in a position to rebuild?! Shay have the azzzez failed to this point?’ Can the clowns and move on. There is m positives with this shatzzz! 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/04/nfl-super-bowl-50-gary-kubiak-peyton-manning

^Says it all.

Ryan got 2 years...had one of the best years EVER in QB history in 2016. (Please stop looking at just TD totals and examine his efficiency)

You can rebuild around Ryan. This ain’t a major rebuild where you have no pieces. You have most pieces actually. Front 7 on D, S, and MAYBE a RB. Anything else glaring for starters?

Only real trouble is cap...until it isn’t.

It can be made to work; especially if CBA gets done.

Vandy and vel like this

7 hours ago, TSprings said:

This is a very ****ing chart for Rodgers, BARLEY preforming better than what he is expected to given his pass protection.

And Ryan? doing more with WAY LESS. 

This chart may show Ryan is the best light given his worst season ever so far. 

It’s a poorly kept secret Ryan has outplayed Rodgers since 2015 

having an elite quarterback automatically makes our rebuild easier, and that’s before you get into the fact when you look at our team you see: elite QB, 1st round RG/RT, Alex Mack, bonafide LT, best receiver duo in the league, a top TE entering prime. Only situation on offense to “fix” is RB

defense has Grady, Debo, Takk, but not much of anything beyond that 

4 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Well said, and you've been on these boards a long time like I have. Remember swift’s spam about brohm over Ryan and all that garbage dating back literally to the 2008 draft.

I remember him and another moron whose name escapes me wanting to trade Ryan straight up for Jake Locker.

5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I remember him and another moron whose name escapes me wanting to trade Ryan straight up for Jake Locker.

Grendel?

16 hours ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

So what's interesting about the first two replies as that you both point to a 35 year-old QB as an asset.  I'm not disparaging Matt Ryan at all, but the reality is that the proverbial clock has begin to tick on his time as a 'franchise QB'.  To the extent that the Panthers also have a franchise QB on the payroll...it's interesting that the Panthers have already stated their intentions here to move on from theirs

I agree.  Ryan has hit his prime and is gone too regress.  The same goes for Julio.  We are saddled with those two contracts and it will be difficult to build a team around Ryan/JJ in time to take advantage of either one of those guys' talents.  

As awful as it sounds, we need to draft our next starting QB next year or the year after that.  In the meantime, we need to rebuild through the draft on defense and slowly watch our better and more expensive veterans walk.  

I think we are looking at a 3-4 year project.