Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Osiruz

Do yall want Quinn fired?

Since the bye week every time the Falcons put on an impressive win over divisional opponent I get more and more piss off at Quinn.  That is because I knew this team is not devoid of talents yet they are so inconsistent and either get embarrassed or look like a playoff contender. I can take not winning because lack of talent, but I can't take inconsistent and being embarrassed due to players out of position and unprepared. I don't want to hear about the players have let Quinn down either.  You know what good coaches do to players who don't know their assignment or unprepared to play?  They replace them with someone who know the playbook inside out and be ready to play.  Sure that player might not be as talented, but at least you will get the best of what he got.  Maybe then other talented players will be more prepare because they don't want to be the next one losing their job.

On 12/9/2019 at 0:59 PM, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

If we had consistently played the entire second half like we did right after the bye in New Orleans, bring him back.

But we didn’t. We reverted to pre-bye form at home, against the BUCS. 

This team has zero consistency under the current regime. To me, that spells the end for the head coach. 

It's not just that, but also how they win. DQ's teams over the years have shown a penchant for being able to get hot and run teams off the field, even the really good ones. But they struggle to win close games. Quinn is a good hype man and every now and then it will result in signature wins, but the whole "all gas no breaks" mantra is unsustainable. Even the most well-intentioned guy can't put out that kind of energy, physically and emotionally, all the time. I believe that's why the team's performances fluctuate so wildly.

I believe the priority should be consistency in discipline and limiting mistakes (pretty much the Mike Smith approach), and then be aggressive within that framework.

2 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

If we keep DQ and find the right OC that gets us rolling, the OC will be poached within 2 years.  Then we are right back at ground zero.  Your head man has to be your OC nowadays. 

Then the FO needs to pay the OC to stay if they like their HC and want to keep both.

50 minutes ago, Statick said:

Then the FO needs to pay the OC to stay if they like their HC and want to keep both.

Not how it works.

Very few (if any) young and successful OC's lack the desire to become a HC if the opportunity is presented.

McDaniels is the highest paid OC in the league and he's not staying in that position for the money.

Edited by RubberDucky

50 minutes ago, Statick said:

I don't think anyone wants to be the OC instead of HC if given the chance unless they are old and don't have the energy for it.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:36 PM, Francis York Morgan said:

At this point, as much as I like Quinn, I don't think he's likely to be the answer. Big culture shift is needed in this org. But again, it really depends on how much interference there has been from other people. Without Koetter, I genuinely think this team is 9-4 instead of 4-9. The defense played well enough to win every game since the bye and several before that. How much say did Quinn have in the Koetter hire? That's the biggest question. And if they're a package deal, he has to go, period.

Everything I've seen says this decision wasn't his. FFS, he was DC for the Seahawks when we went 10-22 with Koetter and no run game, then clobbered the Bucs with him as their HC. He wanted a ZBS run game and WCO guy and brings in DK? Then gives interviews that makes it clear he hardly knew the guy beforehand? It feels off. It's a bunch of guys AB, TD, and McKay knew. That's hardly a coincidence. But he'll probably bite the bullet all the same. I guess we'll see.

FYM, Both you and @JDaveG make good points about someone other than Quinn making the mind numbing decision on Koetter. Heck, maybe even Matt Ryan had influence there, but no matter, I agree it wasn’t DQ. 

But......even though our D has played a lot better 2nd half of season, it’s still been a bottom 1/3 tier D for the season at large. And the defense has by and large been healthy this year too. That’s unacceptable for a coach brought here to improve the D. 5 years in, its as bad as when he was hired. In those 5 years Quinn has a barely .500 record with two future HOFers healthy and in their prime. That’s unacceptable as well.

Quinn needs to go, IMO. He’s in over his head.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

FYM, Both you and @JDaveG make good points about someone other than Quinn making the mind numbing decision on Koetter. Heck, maybe even Matt Ryan had influence there, but no matter, I agree it wasn’t DQ. 

But......even though our D has played a lot better 2nd half of season, it’s still been a bottom 1/3 tier D for the season at large. That’s unacceptable for a coach brought here to improve the D. 5 years in, its as bad as when he was hired. In those 5 years Quinn has a barely .500 record with two future HOFers healthy and in their prime. That’s unacceptable as well.

I'm not disagreeing with you.  However, as I've said elsewhere, it really doesn't matter.  He wouldn't be in over his head if this team had a culture of consistent winning instead of chasing ghosts.  We chased 2012 until Mike Smith was in over his head.  We've chased 28-3 now until Dan Quinn is in over his head.

Funny how when we rebuild things happen quickly.  Funny how that works with a good QB and some decent pieces.  And also funny how when we get some early success things go straight off the rails, because we immediately quit doing the things that made us successful in the first place and start swatting at imaginary flies.

This team needs a cultural enema.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

But......even though our D has played a lot better 2nd half of season, it’s still been a bottom 1/3 tier D for the season at large. That’s unacceptable for a coach brought here to improve the D. 5 years in, its as bad as when he was hired. In those 5 years Quinn has a barely .500 record with two future HOFers healthy and in their prime. That’s unacceptable as well.

The defense being so inconsistent and taking an actual sharing of play calling to rectify, which came too late, is proof enough for me that DQ needs to go.

im not on the fire Td camp either after watching his “bad” picks including Vic and Takk and you name it on OL and DL balling out.

this is a coaching issue pure and simple. 
I think that if we get right HC we’re right back in the SB conversation.

good post

21 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I'm not disagreeing with you.  However, as I've said elsewhere, it really doesn't matter.  He wouldn't be in over his head if this team had a culture of consistent winning instead of chasing ghosts.  We chased 2012 until Mike Smith was in over his head.  We've chased 28-3 now until Dan Quinn is in over his head.

Funny how when we rebuild things happen quickly.  Funny how that works with a good QB and some decent pieces.  And also funny how when we get some early success things go straight off the rails, because we immediately quit doing the things that made us successful in the first place and start swatting at imaginary flies.

This team needs a cultural enema.

We had a pretty good culture of winning when Blank hired him. Yes, Smitty appeared burnt out the last couple of years he was here, but there was promise in the youngsters we had drafted. Smitty, like DQ, went and hired Koetter and Nolan. The latter being the final nail in the coffin.

and even had Koetter and his offense been the issue (it contributed), DQ could have named Morris DC when he let go of Manuel. 
In fact, if Raheem wanted to stay as DC i wouldn’t be against it.

i think the “rah rah” king, DQ, is incompetent ultimately and a micromanager

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

I agree with that. Great DC, poor HC. He just isn't but out for it imho. Too much for him to keep track of and it all winds up with his speciality being nullified.

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

I don't buy AB forced DQ to hire DK or other assistant coaches. We have seen plenty of reports praising DQ for going and assembling a staff with so much experience. TD and DQ gloating on how they have great staff. What DQ did was didn't wait for other guys like Kubiak to be available. They were plenty of reports DK had another offer and DQ had to pull the trigger. The unwritten rule in the NFL is HC pick assistant coaches unless you are cowboys. 

Now assuming this revisionist history of AB forcing DQ to hire DK. That makes it even worse for DQ, I would question his leadership to stand up for his coaches and philosophy. There are many coaches who walked away when forced to make changes to assistants from owners. This shows DQ had no better plan and AB told him what to do. I want a HC who knows what the heck is doing and has a vision for the team and can convince the owner.

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

I don't buy AB forced DQ to hire DK or other assistant coaches. We have seen plenty of reports praising DQ for going and assembling a staff with so much experience. TD and DQ gloating on how they have great staff. What DQ did was didn't wait for other guys like Kubiak to be available. They were plenty of reports DK had another offer and DQ had to pull the trigger. The unwritten rule in the NFL is HC pick assistant coaches unless you are cowboys. 

Now assuming this revisionist history of AB forcing DQ to hire DK. That makes it even worse for DQ, I would question his leadership to stand up for his coaches and philosophy. There are many coaches who walked away when forced to make changes to assistants from owners. This shows DQ had no better plan and AB told him what to do. I want a HC who knows what the heck is doing and has a vision for the team and can convince the owner.

You call it "revisionist history," but that falsely presumes there is a history to revise (leaving aside it is the inaccurate colloquial use of "revisionist history" to begin with).

What it really is, is speculation. And in that regard, mine is no more nor less valuable or accurate than yours.  

What we do know is Mike Smith was pressured to fire coordinators after 2011.  We know it because Smith has said so and @JOEinPHX has, I believe, confirmed it.  We know (also from JOEinPHX) that Mike Smith and the entire offensive staff was essentially ignored when the trade up to draft Julio happened.  So we know for a fact that the front office and owner meddle in team operations.  Given that, I don't think my speculation is all that outlandish honestly.

29 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

You call it "revisionist history," but that falsely presumes there is a history to revise (leaving aside it is the inaccurate colloquial use of "revisionist history" to begin with).

What it really is, is speculation. And in that regard, mine is no more nor less valuable or accurate than yours.  

What we do know is Mike Smith was pressured to fire coordinators after 2011.  We know it because Smith has said so and @JOEinPHX has, I believe, confirmed it.  We know (also from JOEinPHX) that Mike Smith and the entire offensive staff was essentially ignored when the trade up to draft Julio happened.  So we know for a fact that the front office and owner meddle in team operations.  Given that, I don't think my speculation is all that outlandish honestly.

And is it Quinn’s fault that TD signed Ty, Brown, Carp and used the first 3 rounds of draft capital on OL when the defense needed attention.  That’s 78 million on 3 guys that don’t play.  

It’s also odd that both Quinn and TD report separately to Blank.  There isn’t a proper hierarchy.  Allows for Blank to control things on both a HC & GM level. I would prefer my HC report to the GM who reports to Blank

”Quinn Had To Sell Blank On Relinquishing Playcalling Duties”

I do but I don't ,  I do because I think he does nothing but clap and chant but on the other hand  the offensive coordinator and other coaches are doing well for the first year back .  Well at times I should say.  I don't want a whole new system for them to learn.  I also think we need a few players on the o line and running backs.   I love Freeman but I am not sure of him doing it all.  He would be great with another back (like Hunt)   

44 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

And is it Quinn’s fault that TD signed Ty, Brown, Carp and used the first 3 rounds of draft capital on OL when the defense needed attention.  That’s 78 million on 3 guys that don’t play.  

It’s also odd that both Quinn and TD report separately to Blank.  There isn’t a proper hierarchy.  Allows for Blank to control things on both a HC & GM level. I would prefer my HC report to the GM who reports to Blank

11 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

This, to me, is the most appalling thing that's happened this season.

He did? I recall the article saying he had to sell him on the coaching movement but the context of how it was written was blown out of proportion.

As you continue to read what Blank said he was receptive.

Quinn had to sell Blank on altering some aspect of his program in hopes of triggering a spark. Quinn moved Morris back to defense, moved running backs coach Dave Brock to wide receivers in place of Morris and moved assistant Bernie Parmalee to running backs coach. There were no notable personnel changes among the players during practice.

When asked Wednesday how Blank received the news of Morris being reassigned, Quinn didn't answer directly.

"[Blank] said it well: 'You've got a lot of smart people there, and utilize every resource that you have,'” Quinn said. "Raheem and I obviously have been talking about that and the fact that this was the best thing to do for the team.”

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

It takes it from mere speculation to logical deduction

As to meddling, yes.  As to whether Quinn didn't want Koetter, that's still rank speculation, though again, while I admit that, I think it's justified speculation based on what we do know (chiefly, that the FO meddles).

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Playing the counter argument: all 3 “did” play and Dirk made every OL look bad :shrug:

this is such a weird evaluation of everything...blame Blank for the results if he is meddling? :ninja:

NO Wavering here I want Quinn and Dummitroff Gone ASAP...… Mediocre Drafts, Inability to build the trenches, Defensive Coach with a horrible Defense, Team Quit on Quinn and he doesn't hold guys accountable like a Bellickick, Undisciplined 

"FAST AND PHYSICAL"

Edited by Diggable Birds