Boise Falcon Fan

OL Yesterday

54 posts in this topic

Carpenter was more of a waste due to being mostly a power run guy. Brown is a capable backup. I believe he's been in ZBS, but he was more of an upside play th than anything. The issue lies in signing either one and then drafting another guard, but not truly using Gono first.

red falcon likes this

14 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Carpenter was more of a waste due to being mostly a power run guy. Brown is a capable backup. I believe he's been in ZBS, but he was more of an upside play th than anything. The issue lies in signing either one and then drafting another guard, but not truly using Gono first.

For real. Gono did amazing in preseason looked good yesterday.  Hes more than ready.  This staff is ridiculous. 

sanfranfalcon likes this

1 minute ago, red falcon said:

For real. Gono did amazing in preseason looked good yesterday.  Hes more than ready.  This staff is ridiculous. 

I don't blame the staff whole heartedly. This is a staff, Quinn specifically, that has thrown young guys in the fire early. Being physically ready doesn't mean he was mentally ready. Senat is another guy that may be included in this category. 

Could have been a multitude of different factors in not using Gono before now. Whatever it was, I'm glad we are able to use him now, and hopefully he's a fixture going forward.

I think we went a bit overboard trying to add depth and solidify the OL before using what we already had. I'm kinda getting the idea that Blank is pushing for certain things, and Quinn is trying to give him what he wants at the end of the day.

7 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I don't blame the staff whole heartedly. This is a staff, Quinn specifically, that has thrown young guys in the fire early. Being physically ready doesn't mean he was mentally ready. Senat is another guy that may be included in this category. 

Could have been a multitude of different factors in not using Gono before now. Whatever it was, I'm glad we are able to use him now, and hopefully he's a fixture going forward.

I think we went a bit overboard trying to add depth and solidify the OL before using what we already had. I'm kinda getting the idea that Blank is pushing for certain things, and Quinn is trying to give him what he wants at the end of the day.

They've only thrown offensive linemen in the fire early as of late. I can agree with almost anything else but that. They were thrown in this year because it's been a glaring problem for years for the team. I agree though blank told them to fix the line and they attempted. 

They saw enough in Gono not to keep him on the practice squad. He would have been snatched up if so.

5 hours ago, octoslash said:

Lindstrom is going to be as good as we hoped.  

The chances of Thomas Dimitroff getting fired went down a little as Lindstrom is a beast and McGrary is a beast in progress.

Geneaut likes this

3 minutes ago, red falcon said:

They've only thrown offensive linemen in the fire early as of late. I can agree with almost anything else but that. They were thrown in this year because it's been a glaring problem for years for the team. I agree though blank told them to fix the line and they attempted. 

They saw enough in Gono not to keep him on the practice squad. He would have been snatched up if so.

One thing about OL, you need time to develop them, and the unit itself. I could understand wanting to see what your vets do first, before resorting to your young guys.

Mind you, we had to fix the entire right side. Two rookies was already a stretch, but you're not gonna just draft 2 in the first round, and not play them. Hence why we probably signed 2 vets at OG, and extended Ty.

Gono, again, not sure what he was lacking previously, but apparently the staff didn't want to risk not having any insurance. 

kiwifalcon and red falcon like this

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

LT - Matthews
LG - Schweitzer
C - Mack
RG - Lindstrom/Gono - Easing Lindstrom back into it.
RT - McGary

Schweitzer stepped on Matt's foot which sent him stumbling back to the turf. Whomever got their hands on him got the sack. It wasn't because of blocking tho.

Thanks! I didn't catch the Lindstrom/Gono rotation, so I was confused by your first post. Sounds like we need to find a way to get both those guys on the field at the same time.

red falcon and Jesus like this

4 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

He slays with a good run game. Having Gono balling next to him helped a bunch too. Didn't get worn out trying to protect the QB in shotgun on every play.

Koetter just needs to go, period.

Gonorrhea and Lindstrom should be starting.... I don't get this coaching staff sometimes.....

Let your young guys play

atlbaby and red falcon like this

6 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the game yesterday, but I see that our backs carried the ball well, and MR was only sacked once. I am assuming our OL looked much better with Lindstrom back. How did the OL overall look? How did Lindstrom look?

MR was sacked more than once. Jake Matthews finally manned up and had a great game blocking. The outstanding players played outstanding. 

57 minutes ago, rugger8 said:

Thanks! I didn't catch the Lindstrom/Gono rotation, so I was confused by your first post. Sounds like we need to find a way to get both those guys on the field at the same time.

As has been suggested, if Mack goes as a cap casualty then either Schweitzer or Lindstrom can slide in the middle with the other and Gono at guards. But who knows what next year will bring.

9 minutes ago, Jesus said:

As has been suggested, if Mack goes as a cap casualty then either Schweitzer or Lindstrom can slide in the middle with the other and Gono at guards. But who knows what next year will bring.

Yeah, I just hope that Gono is as interchangeable as that. We know that a good RG isn't always a good LG.

That time between McClure and Mack was a nightmare. Being unsettled at C makes me nervous. It would be great if one of those guys was a top end C. I'd consider Matthews there as well, if we get access to a top LT in this draft. But I think Matthews' issues this year are related to having poop at LG.

Jesus likes this

6 hours ago, atljbo said:

Everybody wants to make a million posts about mcgary when he struggles....

He maulled dudes and ball out.... I hear nothing tho

That’s how TAFT works.

atljbo likes this

Whichever side the Falcons want to run the ball the most put Gono on that side.  He will be the best pulling ol in the NFL.  He is Gonobeast!!

16 hours ago, Big_Dog said:

MR was sacked more than once. Jake Matthews finally manned up and had a great game blocking. The outstanding players played outstanding. 

He was sacked 1 time according to ESPN.  Check your facts before correcting someone...

19 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

He was sacked 1 time according to ESPN.  Check your facts before correcting someone...

I was there and remembered it differently but it's not worth debating about.

40 minutes ago, Big_Dog said:

I was there and remembered it differently but it's not worth debating about.

@Boise Falcon Fan I looked and you were correct. I guess my mind was fogged by the times he was slammed to the ground as he barely got some passes off.