socalriseup

Trufant done for season

63 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Desmond Trufant overall for the Falcons, was nothing more than a good average cornerback good enough to start in the NFL. He was good for the Falcons, but he was never great. Don't know if the Panthers game was his last as a Falcon. We'll see. He was playing so well late this year I hate it for him. I hope for a speedy recovery for him. Just remember, the Falcons last 2 division titles (2012, 2016) no Desmond Trufant. The Falcons overall, have done better without Trufant. In the 7 seasons Trufant has been with the Falcons, only 1 postseason run for him which was a wildcard in 2017. Only 1. It wasn't his fault for the injury in 2016, but it's still a trend that I can't deny to notice. 

Thank you for the excellent synopsis of Trufant's career here.

1 hour ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

We only gain a few million by cutting him and it would cost more than that to get a replacement CB. He will be back in 2020.

Told someone last week that it doesn't make since to cut him until 2021. 

Geneaut and TXAintsHater like this

29 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Told someone last week that it doesn't make since to cut him until 2021. 

Exactly. 2021 the cut actually benefits us. Trufant, Sheffield and Oliver can probably get the job done at CB if we have any sort of consistent pass rush off the edge other than Bustley and Almost got a sack.

ya_boi_j likes this

10 hours ago, Captain Falcon said:

This is so dumb. Trufant was absolutely a great #1 corner for a while. That’s how he got paid so much in the first place. He was never elite but he was pretty darn good. It will always be odd to me how recency bias is such a thing 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/atl/career-defense.htm

Let me know if you see something that really stands out.  I've got popcorn...

20 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Ray Brown average an INT every 3 games in his years as a Falcon? :munch:

That was pretty sick.  I knew Rolland Lawrence was good, but didn't realize he ended up with 39...:o

He wasn't the best in the NFL but he wasn't a bust either. This year he seemed to figure out how to catch the ball which helped his game. 

If we could get him cheap I would not mind bringing him back.

I hate it, hope he bounces back. Tru is a good corner. He was playing well all season, even when most of you think he wasn't, you're blaming him for others not doing their job.  The Falcons would be stupid to cut him, but we all know they can be. They really lose money,cap space , create another hole to be filled.  Focus on other problems.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

On 12/9/2019 at 5:19 AM, ya_boi_j said:

If they manage to miss out on Young, I wouldn't be against this

We are gonna miss Young. Okudah may be the target. I'm hoping we can sign a pass rusher on FA, draft Okudah, and get Weaver(Boise) and a RB in the 2nd Rd.

6 hours ago, lju713 said:

We are gonna miss Young. Okudah may be the target. I'm hoping we can sign a pass rusher on FA, draft Okudah, and get Weaver(Boise) and a RB in the 2nd Rd.

Warming up to Derrick Brown (likely gonna fall out of his range aren't we), then Weaver in the second. Brown can collapse the pocket with Grady, and can help the DE in general finish plays by taking away the QB's option to step forward.The Pats/Sanu pick can be used on a Jaylon Johnson/CJ Henderson (if he falls) for CB, I'm of the belief that a strong DL/pass rush helps improve the secondary by pressuring the QB.

On 12/9/2019 at 1:58 PM, PriMeTiiMe said:

Exactly. 2021 the cut actually benefits us. Trufant, Sheffield and Oliver can probably get the job done at CB if we have any sort of consistent pass rush off the edge other than Bustley and Almost got a sack.

Agree 100%. Okudah is nice but the focus needs to be on the DL. BPA/depth in the next rounds, also try to look for the next mid-round steal at RB and some good DB's with upside.

On 12/8/2019 at 9:05 PM, lju713 said:

This will be the reason the FO drafts Okudah. They will stay Tru is fragile (true) and release him. I'm sure the next GM is gonna want to dump that contract.

Falcons no longer have a chance at drafting Okudah.

They have pick #8 now.

The other NCAA CB draft prospects are not good-enough to draft at #8 (just to replace Trufant).

No need to reach for one, or trade-up for Okudah either.

Sheffield and Oliver will be the starters next season with Kazee being moved back to slot-CB.