roguebeaver

Mike Vick - how the fallen have risen! Pro Bowl

48 posts in this topic

Good thing, or bad thing?

Named as the honorary captain of the upcoming Pro Bowl, being protested by animal rights group and calling for boycotting sponsors that are backing this idea.

Is this another issue that the Falcons may be on the wrong side of, or are they willing to endorse 100%?

What's your thoughts? Mine, I'm conflicted, but that's just me....I don't have a particular dog in this fight though. Just saying!

It's a horrible thing.

Picture this:  You do something so horrific that it gets you fired from your job, tossed in jail, embarrassing your employer.  Do you think under any scenario that your employer would ever honor you for anything in the future regarding their company or would they simply wish you the best in future endeavors as they terminated you while you spent time in prison?  I think we all know the real world answer to this one.

Godzilla1985 and mtldirtybird like this

7 minutes ago, capologist said:

It's a horrible thing.

Picture this:  You do something so horrific that it gets you fired from your job, tossed in jail, embarrassing your employer.  Do you think under any scenario that your employer would ever honor you for anything in the future regarding their company or would they simply wish you the best in future endeavors as they terminated you while you spent time in prison?  I think we all know the real world answer to this one.

This response sounds like "It's not fair"

Flying Falcon and vel like this

He can never take back what he did. That is the truth.

That said he paid his debt to society, and by all things I can tell he's doing things right and living on the straight and narrow. I have no problem with him being able to participate in the Pro Bowl.

4 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

This response sounds like "It's not fair"

Or it sounds like exactly what I typed out, it really didn't need further interpretation.  I said exactly what I meant.

Some crimes are forgivable while other aren't.  It is up to the individual on which ground they want to take.  Personally I don't think what Vick did is so horrible that can't be forgiven.  Believe it or not there are places in the world that actual eat dog meats, and to those people there isn't anything wrong with that.  It's just the culture that they live in.  I think the same thing applied to Vick here.  The culture that he grew up probably didn't see dog fighting as a horrible thing to do.  Yet he accepted society different view on it and paid the price for what he did.  Everyone make mistakes.  The best thing you can do is own them and willing to correct your mistakes.  I think Vick has done that about as well as anyone could on that.

59 minutes ago, capologist said:

Or it sounds like exactly what I typed out, it really didn't need further interpretation.  I said exactly what I meant.

Everything has an alternate or additional meaning behind it kind sir.

Do you think it's fair?

1 hour ago, capologist said:

It's a horrible thing.

That's the problem though. The NFL is not the "Real World"!

Vick paid a huge price by ruining his image, going to jail, and being in massive debt. He has done as much as possible to turn his life around and become a much better person.

Some of these animal activist groups talk about how important animal rights are but don't really care much about human rights and are very unforgiving about people who are remorseful and have paid the price of what they've done.

Some also viciously harass and attack people who don't see eye to eye fully with their views on animal rights.

Leave Vick alone, the man has paid enough. He has also even became an activist for animal rights.

He should absolutely be able to participate and be honored as a captain if the league sees fit.  He committed a crime and he paid for it.  Redemption is a real thing and from all accounts he's been an exemplary person since he was released from prison.

The animal rights people can go **** themselves.  

Vick paid his dues unlike Ryan. We are paying Ryan's dues with Falcon's filters

"Honey, please give me another drink. I'm on the Boards again."

Edited by *Old Pappy Falcon*
Flying Falcon likes this

I don't agree with what he did,  but the man did his time. There are accused murderers, abusers and rapist that play every week without anyone breathing down their neck. This too me is a holier than thou scenario from the animal activists looking for publicity. Let it go people let it go

23 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Animals don't have rights.   

Of course I condemn dog fighting and all that Vick was convicted of, but I mean...animals don't have rights. 

As an avid hunter and fisherman I wholeheartedly disagree. They have the right to not be tortured and killed slowly. I believe every living thing has that right. 

41 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Everything has an alternate or additional meaning behind it kind sir.

Do you think it's fair?

It's not about "fair".  Life in general isn't fair.  All I'm doing is making a statement on how it isn't equitable to real world business practices.  Entertainment as a whole is an entirely different world from Hollywood to sports to musicians.  My opinion is it's a horrible thing to do because it further widens the gap between reality and the NFL.  That further alienates the customer base.  No other meaning.

Now, I will say I am a animal person and find what he did reprehensible and I'm still not sure if he's truly sorry for what he did or simply sorry he got caught.  I don't know the man so I can't make that determination.  I hope he's sorry and I hope he continues doing good.  What I can't forgive him for is what he did to this franchise by wasting peoples careers, championship opportunities and further making the Falcons the butt of more jokes than it already was...

Googlywoogly likes this

18 minutes ago, falcon1fan said:

As an avid hunter and fisherman I wholeheartedly disagree. They have the right to not be tortured and killed slowly. I believe every living thing has that right. 

Fish can’t breath oxygen. So when you pull them out they are suffering and struggling to breathe. Doesn’t even matter if you clean it right than and there. I fish too. Not a hunter but I don’t have a problem with it. Guys I do know hunt with dogs and don’t use guns though. That seems a little much

Honestly I'm much more put off by some of these animal rights groups than how the NFL has given Vick a second chance. 

The man made mistakes, was punished for them, and personally I think it's time we all move on.  I can only imagine the kind of stupidity I would have gotten myself in to if I had money in my early twenties.  

What I can't understand is how boycotting the pro bowl (which if you think about it is actually pretty funny, don't we all pretty much boycott the pro bowl by not watching it?) helps animals in any way shape or form.  Sometimes it seems like certain animal rights groups would rather boycott something than actually doing anything beneficial for an animal.

Halcon-1 and Flying Falcon like this

28 minutes ago, falcon1fan said:

I don't agree with what he did,  but the man did his time. There are accused murderers, abusers and rapist that play every week without anyone breathing down their neck. This too me is a holier than thou scenario from the animal activists looking for publicity. Let it go people let it go

So...business as usual for them.

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

Fish can’t breath oxygen. So when you pull them out they are suffering and struggling to breathe. Doesn’t even matter if you clean it right than and there. I fish too. Not a hunter but I don’t have a problem with it. Guys I do know hunt with dogs and don’t use guns though. That seems a little much

According to science Fish actually don't have  pain receptors, and catch and release in timely fashion it's no different than holding your breath. I run dogs for squirrels and rabbits, but I use a gun. I've never seen hunters that don't. Letting dogs chase and kill animals is extremely dangerous for the dogs.

youngbloodz likes this

50 minutes ago, freefall said:

Some crimes are forgivable while other aren't.  It is up to the individual on which ground they want to take.  Personally I don't think what Vick did is so horrible that can't be forgiven.  Believe it or not there are places in the world that actual eat dog meats, and to those people there isn't anything wrong with that.  It's just the culture that they live in.  I think the same thing applied to Vick here.  The culture that he grew up probably didn't see dog fighting as a horrible thing to do.  Yet he accepted society different view on it and paid the price for what he did.  Everyone make mistakes.  The best thing you can do is own them and willing to correct your mistakes.  I think Vick has done that about as well as anyone could on that.

Well said but at some point you have to understand you're a celebrity and under a microscope. Vick couldn't let the hood go similar to AI. I saw dogg fights often as a kid - poor people hustling to make money, no excuse for Vick 100 million dollar QB heading a dog ring makes absolutely no sense - When keeping it real goes wrong......

2 hours ago, vel said:

He committed a crime. He paid the price. Why does he have to keep paying the price? Is he still dog fighting? Is he denying he did anything wrong? ****. Public opinion is really heIl. 

Because there are a bunch of frauds who pretend to buy into 'causes' exclusively for attention and/or social acceptance. Bunch of brainless rabble...if you ask any of them what they have personally done to further said 'cause', you hear crickets chirping. B!tching makes you cool now. 

People are already trying to get him removed. I don't get why people are still upset about the dog fighting ****. The dude paid his dues and did his time. If people are truly that bent out of shape 10+ years later then they need to seriously grow the **** up and find something else to ***** about. Far worse has been done by far worse people.