Koetter’s Scheme

Dirtybird56

42 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

His offense has been solid when Darnold plays.  They are .500 when he plays and outside the NE game they are averaging 25 ppg.  Not bad considering the roster

No...his offense is still terrible. Darnold has nearly as many ints as touchdowns and has a rating of 84.

They have 5 defensive touchdowns which has helped boost their scoring.

They only have 19 offensive touchdowns on the year....the Falcons have 28.

And they just lost to the Bangles and scored 6 points.

Gase is terrible when he does not have Peyton manning.

16 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Interesting little tidbit on Bevell: Detroit’s offense ranks higher than ours in yards and points with not nearly the caliber of weapons and (now) a revolving door at quarterback.

I still don’t understand the hate Bevell got. He seemed to be a near perfect fit here. Notably, his offense and Quinn’s defense won a Super Bowl together not long ago. I know it’s not that simple, but it isn’t that complicated either. 

13 hours ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

I tried to be down with it. I really did. I tried to get in on the Beasley train too. Both made a fool out of me. Even my wife can point on out WHY this offense sucks and she didn’t start watching football until we met 9 years ago. 

Same bro...Falcons will never fool me again lol...maybe

20 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

The sky is blue and the grass is green, we all knew when DK was hired it wasnt going to work. People are who they are. Due was 9-7, 5-11, and 5-11, another NFL failure collecting a check in Flowery Branch. 

It's not that simple. Guys have struggles in the NFL, and then find a way to come out the other side.  BB & Pete Carroll are a couple of examples.

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

The offense is designed to run the WCO. Koetter's offense is an outdated mess.

West coast, east coast, Canadian, ......hawaii....

It does not matter when your linemen miss their assignments and commit penalties to wipe out plays, the qb misses open receivers, throws interceptions and fumbles the ball. And takes  unnecessary sacks while receivers drop passes and backs miss holes and puts the ball on the ground.

Its funny how it is "out dated"....yet we some how keep moving the ball and still are in position to score more than they do every single game.

If the Falcons cleaned up just half of their execution issues then they would probably be in top 10 or better

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 1:33 PM, Godzilla1985 said:

It’s a huge indictment on Quinn since it was his call but I agree.  

How does a guy guy that sees Kyle Shannahan as the beat OC long before anyone else did make such a knucklehead hire???

He was out there selling Koetter hard too:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/1082779989479751681?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1082779989479751681&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fboards.atlantafalcons.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Dembed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FAtlantaFalcons%2Fstatus%2F1082779989479751681%3Fs%3D20

On 12/4/2019 at 1:59 PM, SPITFIRE said:

I am not a big offensive guy but it seems like Koetter is still the "stretch in 1 dimension" type of guy where most of the NFL has moved on to a different type of system to cause conflict. When he first got hired all I remember reading about him is that he loves to employ the 4 verts concept. That only stretches the field vertically not horizontal. Most if not all NFL defenses know how to stop this, most of the modern schemes are designed to stop this, in fact this was the catalyst that got Belicheck and Saban to create pattern matching. So when watching Koetter it almost looks like he only has 1 trick. "My man has to beat your man if not play is dead" 

Well yeah the NFL has caught up to vertical offenses on a higher percentage and the reasoning is simple: players are bigger and faster. You're now seeing routinely MIKE LBs that run 4.5 to 4.6, thyas not a giant mismatch on TEs anymore, like it was in the kellen Winslow days, and the backers are just as long and big. CBs routinely run 4.4 at 6 ft plus, ditto with safeties. This speed and athleticism and size, coupled with zone and man coverage blended defenses makes an already lower percentage offense even lower.

Remember this whole coryell-based offense is timing and foregoes shorter yardage for big plays.

On 12/4/2019 at 0:42 PM, Dirtybird56 said:

We know Koetter’s scheme can be difficult on a QB due to deep drops in the pocket, long developing routes, an abundance of route combinations that require threading the needle for completions, and a desire to block with just your 5 Olinemen.

However, does Koetter’s scheme typically at least create a powerful running attack? Well, no. Does it at least keep the quarterback protected? Well, no. (We’re second to last in hits given up to QB’s)

But it’s gotta do something good, right? Maybe it allows for easy yards after the catch. You gotta give your QB a break if you’re not going to protect him or provide a running game. Let’s check if it provides easy YAC

well, no. 

Koetter schemE is to lose in this league now days.  Maybe it worked well at a point eg (fouts etc) from what I hear but it’s def not for our personnel. 

On 12/4/2019 at 11:42 AM, Dirtybird56 said:

We know Koetter’s scheme can be difficult on a QB due to deep drops in the pocket, long developing routes, an abundance of route combinations that require threading the needle for completions, and a desire to block with just your 5 Olinemen.

However, does Koetter’s scheme typically at least create a powerful running attack? Well, no. Does it at least keep the quarterback protected? Well, no. (We’re second to last in hits given up to QB’s)

But it’s gotta do something good, right? Maybe it allows for easy yards after the catch. You gotta give your QB a break if you’re not going to protect him or provide a running game. Let’s check if it provides easy YAC

well, no. 

Most successful offense in NFL for getting HC fired

• 7 months later...
On 12/5/2019 at 7:40 AM, JDaveG said:

I still don’t understand the hate Bevell got. He seemed to be a near perfect fit here. Notably, his offense and Quinn’s defense won a Super Bowl together not long ago. I know it’s not that simple, but it isn’t that complicated either. 

Guarantee Ryan asked for Koetter

At its most basic level, Koetter's scheme is about picking big chunks of yards through the air by stretching the defense vertically. As a result there will invariably be more negative plays (incompletions, sacks, interceptions etc.) but he's banking on picking up enough big plays to overcome that. 

But yes this is the polar opposite of the West Coast offense that stretches the offense horizontally, protects the OL by getting rid of the ball quickly and focuses on the short to intermediate routes with receivers picking up a chunk of YAC vs yards in the air. 

I prefer the latter, but there are merits to the former and plenty of successful examples of both approaches throughout the league. 

10 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

At its most basic level, Koetter's scheme is about picking big chunks of yards through the air by stretching the defense vertically. As a result there will invariably be more negative plays (incompletions, sacks, interceptions etc.) but he's banking on picking up enough big plays to overcome that. 

But yes this is the polar opposite of the West Coast offense that stretches the offense horizontally, protects the OL by getting rid of the ball quickly and focuses on the short to intermediate routes with receivers picking up a chunk of YAC vs yards in the air. 

I prefer the latter, but there are merits to the former and plenty of successful examples of both approaches throughout the league. 

Shanny's offense does both. That's what makes it so hard to defend.