What if this scenario happens Saturday?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When all the teams play the same difficulty of schedule - then the regular season will mean something.   When Auburn plays Bama, Georgia, LSU, Tex A&M, Florida and Oregon while Clemson plays Syrac

Clemson is out with a loss. Committee putting them at 3 all year is pretty clear messaging. They've sent a clear message that your opponent matters. Without quality wins you will suffer and unfortunat

Sounds like a participation trophy to me. Those teams have a shot to upset the big dogs in the regular season now and if they win, they have a shot to get into the playoff. Do you honestly think any G

10 hours ago, Carter said:

Yeah in this scenario I have to think it would come out something like:

1. Georgia
2. LSU
3. Ohio State
4. Clemson

Which is kinda funny because if the only "upset" is UGA winning it would be:

1. Ohio State
2. Clemson
3. Georgia
4. LSU

I mean flip 2 and 3 if you want. Same exact matchups!

8 hours ago, tl;dr said:

LSU and Ohio State are locks at this point. Clemson is likely in too, but them losing to UVA would make things interesting. Baylor might be in over Clemson though, but it would be interesting. 

This pretty much tells us what wrong with the CFB Playoffs System.

26 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Politics. Georgia would be deserving with a win over LSU, but using the eye test for the others would be unfair. Either get a real playoff system, or call this the BCS.

Georgia is a lock with a win. I don’t think that’s really up for debate 

Clemson is out with a loss. Committee putting them at 3 all year is pretty clear messaging. They've sent a clear message that your opponent matters. Without quality wins you will suffer and unfortunately for Clemson they dont have an FSU powerhouse or anyone else anymore in the ACC. I still hope we will one day move to all P5 Champs are in and a spot for the best G5 team. 

2 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

8 team playoff is too many teams.. the ideal setup is 6 teams. This way the top 2 teams get byes and all p5 conference champs get in with one at large which opens a spot for a G5 team if you get one deserving. 

Doesn't matter how many teams you have. If a human or computer system is ranking them, it's messed up. 

Personally, I don't think there should be a First Round Bye on any level of football.

4 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Doesn't matter how many teams you have. If a human or computer system is ranking them, it's messed up. 

Personally, I don't think there should be a First Round Bye on any level of football.

Then how do you suppose seeding teams and choosing which teams make a playoff if human or computer system doesn’t pick?? There should be an advantage to be higher ranked and having a better season and bye week can be that. 

4 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Clemson is out with a loss. Committee putting them at 3 all year is pretty clear messaging. They've sent a clear message that your opponent matters. Without quality wins you will suffer and unfortunately for Clemson they dont have an FSU powerhouse or anyone else anymore in the ACC. I still hope we will one day move to all P5 Champs are in and a spot for the best G5 team. 

I disagree.  Clemson is in no matter what.  Eye test easily says they are better than every team outside of LSU and OSU.    Clemson is in barring an injury to Trevor Lawrence.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I disagree.  Clemson is in no matter what.  Eye test easily says they are better than every team outside of LSU and OSU.    Clemson is in barring an injury to Trevor Lawrence.

All you have to do is look at Bama to see what will happen to Clemson. Eye test says Bama isn’t the #12 team in the country but their resumé does. The committee this year hasn’t put eye test above resumé this year and I wouldn’t expect to see it now. Clemson loses they aren’t even in the top 6 much less top 4. 

3 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

All you have to do is look at Bama to see what will happen to Clemson. Eye test says Bama isn’t the #12 team in the country but their resumé does. The committee this year hasn’t put eye test above resumé this year and I wouldn’t expect to see it now. Clemson loses they aren’t even in the top 6 much less top 4. 

Two losses is why Bama is out.  They had a soft schedule as well - not as soft as Clemson I grant you.

I just don’t believe committee has the balls to leave out Clemson.   Remember, the last vote is the only one that matters and week to week has proven not just this year but any year that committee members can change their minds.   Not robots.

31 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Two losses is why Bama is out.  They had a soft schedule as well - not as soft as Clemson I grant you.

I just don’t believe committee has the balls to leave out Clemson.   Remember, the last vote is the only one that matters and week to week has proven not just this year but any year that committee members can change their minds.   Not robots.

They would if Clemson lost, they would have no choice but to leave them out. The likelihood that Virginia wins is not high but Clemson hasn’t beat any top 25 teams so they’d have no real argument 

2 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

Then how do you suppose seeding teams and choosing which teams make a playoff if human or computer system doesn’t pick?? There should be an advantage to be higher ranked and having a better season and bye week can be that. 

The system is just flawed. Rankings does and should not determine a playoff. You guys are quick to say how many teams are too many. It should be similar to the FCS Playoffs.

IMHO, Alabama would still have a shot in that format. Forget all of the Power 5 Talk, because every team is not a power.

52 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

The system is just flawed. Rankings does and should not determine a playoff. You guys are quick to say how many teams are too many. It should be similar to the FCS Playoffs.

IMHO, Alabama would still have a shot in that format. Forget all of the Power 5 Talk, because every team is not a power.

You realize that even in FCS it’s determined by polls.. The reason I will never be in favor of more than an 6 team playoff is that it lessens the regular season. Part of what makes college football great is that every game pretty much means something. Example, a 16 team tournament basically gives UGA and most SEC teams a 3 game mulligan. How is that appealing to anyone, you should have to be one of the best teams during the regular season to deserve a shot at a national title. 

16 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

You realize that even in FCS it’s determined by polls.. The reason I will never be in favor of more than an 6 team playoff is that it lessens the regular season. Part of what makes college football great is that every game pretty much means something. Example, a 16 team tournament basically gives UGA and most SEC teams a 3 game mulligan. How is that appealing to anyone, you should have to be one of the best teams during the regular season to deserve a shot at a national title. 

I do support an 8 team playoff. But I agree u cant solely determine off the polls. I support 8 bc it only adds 1 game and it at least allows all conference champs a chance. I support all P5 champs, then use the polls for the highest ranked best, and then next 2 highest ranked no matter from where.

Guaranteeing conference champs a shot at a national title is the wrong answer. It destroys the argument of the whole season matters and the best teams for the whole season should play for it.

So we’re going to argue Clemson should be out with 1 loss because they haven’t beaten anyone, but advocate for a system where a 3 loss team could win one game that they are only in because their division is terrible and play for a national title?