Chaz

OK lets just put it out there!

136 posts in this topic

If somehow Burrow is there for the taking, do we pass up that kind of talent or take advantage of a huge opportunity. There 's no way to be sure that instance comes up again without selling the farm. I have been a fan of Matt Ryan many years and he still has skills but not elite ones. Let's talk about this realistically and truthfully. So many say we are in rebuild mode and I agree. There is cost involved in doing that and like the 1st year in our existence as an NFL team it starts with the qb. Not a stop gap look decent team just scraping by but a contender in a year or two. Tell me what you think, not what you think the board favors.

Osiruz, Flying Falcon and Champagne like this

18 minutes ago, Chaz said:

If somehow Burrow is there for the taking, do we pass up that kind of talent or take advantage of a huge opportunity. There 's no way to be sure that instance comes up again without selling the farm. I have been a fan of Matt Ryan many years and he still has skills but not elite ones. Let's talk about this realistically and truthfully. So many say we are in rebuild mode and I agree. There is cost involved in doing that and like the 1st year in our existence as an NFL team it starts with the qb. Not a stop gap look decent team just scraping by but a contender in a year or two. Tell me what you think, not what you think the board favors.

Now put that back in. :rolleyes:

If Burrow is available, it is a great opportunity for us to trade back and acquire more draft assets.  There are no sure things in any draft, and the name of the game is opportunity related to players across the board.  If we could trade back in the 1st and get another 1st in 2020/21, that's how you rebuild quickly.  For example, if the Jags stay at 10, but want to move up to get Burrow, we could swap our picks, and they also give us their 2021 1st, and a 3rd for 2020.  Top 10, or 1st round in general are 50/50 propositions as it relates to impact, so the more opportunities we have, the better chance at hitting.

robertap, gtech1 and JDaveG like this

24 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Absolutely not. We don't need a QB. We need DT, DE, CB, and another OL. Honestly, we could use another safety & an LB too.  Many more needs than another QB.

The problem is it takes money to fill that many holes...the kind of money that only having a qb on a rookie deal can provide...

Not saying I'm in total favor of the idea, but I'm not totally opposed anymore either...kinda getting ready for a fresh start. Matt IS declining, if it were possible to trade him and his contract AND pick up something in return AND end up with Burrow, I'd have to seriously consider that possibility...

Flying Falcon and Chaz like this

35 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I’m not sure I would, but whenever Arthur walks on a car lot and sees a shiny new Ferrari, it may be more appealing than 4 or 5 Mack Trucks. So, it’s possible we would. 

14 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

The problem is it takes money to fill that many holes...the kind of money that only having a qb on a rookie deal can provide...

Not saying I'm in total favor of the idea, but I'm not totally opposed anymore either...kinda getting ready for a fresh start. Matt IS declining, if it were possible to trade him and his contract AND pick up something in return AND end up with Burrow, I'd have to seriously consider that possibility...

Trading Matt would be a $34M salary cap hit next season.

27 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

BUT, that is the problem.  It's not possible, and it's not going to happen.

Falconcheff and JDaveG like this

I've gone back and forth on this subject. @FalconsIn2012 actually warmed me up to the idea of getting Burrow. He's a stud. But the more I think about it, the more it just doesn't make sense because of Ryan's contract. I'd rather go defense and go for one last shot at a title with Ryan at QB. If the Falcons were actually in a position where they could get out of Ryan's contract, I'd be for it. 

It doesn't mean that the thought of taking Burrow is a bad idea either. 2012 has preached the best argument of thinking about the next 10 years. This is truly just a tough call....

9 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I've gone back and forth on this subject. @FalconsIn2012 actually warmed me up to the idea of getting Burrow. He's a stud. But the more I think about it, the more it just doesn't make sense because of Ryan's contract. I'd rather go defense and go for one last shot at a title with Ryan at QB. If the Falcons were actually in a position where they could get out of Ryan's contract, I'd be for it. 

It doesn't mean that the thought of taking Burrow is a bad idea either. 2012 has preached the best argument of thinking about the next 10 years. This is truly just a tough call....

I’ve seen his arguments, and I certainly am not dismissive of the idea, but to think of a NFL franchise in terms of a decade is almost an impossibility. Ever read “Patriots reign?” Belichick doesn’t see the game through a ten year lenses, he remains adaptive and evolves with the game. He has, however, developed a culture and a standardized scouting system. We don’t have the culture part down yet. I’m actually good with our scouting,

He’s also had a luxury that we currently have, a very healthy franchise QB.  

if Matt was 36 or 37 and showing signs of decline, I’d be all over the plan for 2030. But now it’d be a waste of resources.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, MSalmon said:

I’ve seen his arguments, and I certainly am not dismissive of the idea, but to think of a NFL franchise in terms of a decade is almost an impossibility. Ever read “Patriots reign?” Belichick doesn’t see the game through a ten year lenses, he remains adaptive and evolves with the game. He’s also had a luxury that we currently have, a very healthy franchise QB.  

if Matt was 36 or 37 and showing signs of decline, I’d be all over the plan for 2030. But now it’d be a waste of resources.

And that's just it. This subject keeps coming up because several Falcons fans actually believe Matt is declining. 

13 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

You'd have to be sure he was 'the guy' ... and I have to say he certainly looks it as much as any college QB can look it. Taking him this soon before the end of Matt's contract kind of handcuff's you when Burrow comes up for his 2nd contract.

Edited by Geneaut

Just now, Geneaut said:

You'd have to be sure he was 'the guy' ... and I have to say he certainly looks it as much as any college QB can look it.

I think Burrow is the guy. But I also think he's the #1 overall pick at this point. If we had the #1 pick, I would admittedly be tempted. But that's not happening. Burrow is going to Cincy

JetJones11, FalconsIn2012 and Chaz like this

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

And that's just it. This subject keeps coming up because several Falcons fans actually believe Matt is declining. 

I just don’t see it, do you? I see a convoluted scheme, a young and patchwork line. The running game, or lack thereof, supriseed me, but physically, I see a very gifted QB who’s gutting out a terrible season.

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think Burrow is the guy. But I also think he's the #1 overall pick at this point. If we had the #1 pick, I would admittedly be tempted. But that's not happening. Burrow is going to Cincy

I do agree that Burrow is a talented young man. It’ll be interesting to see how does against that elite UGA defense.

Chaz likes this

1 minute ago, MSalmon said:

I just don’t see it, do you? I see a convoluted scheme, a young and patchwork line. The running game, or lack thereof, supriseed me, but physically, I see a very gifted QB who’s gutting out a terrible season.

Matt Ryan looks like the exact same player from 2013 and 2014. It's the scheme, not his age.