⚡Slumerican⚡

Would you be satisfied if next Falcons QB only wins 4 playoff games in 11 seasons

Would you be satisfied if next Falcons QB only wins 4 playoff games in 11 seasons    46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

115 posts in this topic

Depends what your comparing it too the previous 42 seasons we went to the playoffs 8 times.The last 12 seasons we’ve gone to the playoffs 6 times with a chance to win the big game 2possibly 3 times.

Dunno I guess if your a short term fan it’s heavily skewed if you’ve been around long enough and rode this train I’d take it with a grain of salt.

11 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Id say we should expect better? Opinions? 

I'd say you'd need more than just a good QB to win playoff games. You also need a very good defense; not an average defense, but a good one you know like the ones that Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, and others have won it all with. I think it is stupid to insinuate that a Quarterback is the sole reason for a team winning or losing.

24 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Well, if the QB was the only variable in a team winning, sure.  I guess we should.  But with the same logic, we should expect him to play better defense and be a better blocker, a better play caller, better at special teams, clock management, running the ball, catching the ball, better pass defender, stopping the run, tackler.

Yep, we should expect better.

Of course its a team game, so we should start taking that approach and not putting all our eggs into a QB basket.. Then try to justify him as a top tier QB but surrounding him with the best shiny ornaments money can buy. :shrug:

Chaz and Chitown2ATL_Falcon like this

26 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Matt Ryan has a passer rating of 100.8 in the playoffs.  That is higher than any active QB in the NFL and 3rd on the all-time list.  I would be ecstatic if our next QB had a passer rating within 10 points of that in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Whose fault is it that the money isnt spread around 

Matt Ryan's salary is on par with his talent level as an NFL QB.  If you only want to spend 4 or 5 million bucks on a QB then you ain't getting a QB in the same league as Matt Ryan.

freefall, athell, Rings and 2 others like this

If you think Matt Ryan is the reason this team has 4 playoff wins in 11 seasons you either 1) are not paying attention or 2) have ulterior motives.

I don't know why there is this push for the head of Matt Ryan lately here, but there are some hugely misguided folks on the topic.  Do I need to post the defenses and rushing ranks Matt has had to endure over his career?  And I say endure because it is THAT bad.

And we have 9.03% tied into QB contracts this year, 14th in the league, what is the excuse this year?  

1 minute ago, athell said:

If you think Matt Ryan is the reason this team has 4 playoff wins in 11 seasons you either 1) are not paying attention or 2) have ulterior motives.

I don't know why there is this push for the head of Matt Ryan lately here, but there are some hugely misguided folks on the topic.  Do I need to post the defenses and rushing ranks Matt has had to endure over his career?  And I say endure because it is THAT bad.

And we have 9.03% tied into QB contracts this year, 14th in the league, what is the excuse this year?  

Not to mention how bad his offensive lines have been.  In his 11year career he has had maybe...2 seasons where his OL was solid.  The rest of the years he has had horrible protection.  What happens to Brady when he gets tons of pressure?  What happened to P. Manning when he got tons of pressure?  Etc.

quickzero and athell like this

2 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

Not to mention how bad his offensive lines have been.  In his 11year career he has had maybe...2 seasons where his OL was solid.  The rest of the years he has had horrible protection.  What happens to Brady when he gets tons of pressure?  What happened to P. Manning when he got tons of pressure?  Etc.

Yup.  If you really break it down, what it takes most to be consistently good and win NFL games has been our weakest areas :

- Trenches

- Run game

- Defense

- Coaching

People want to pin all of our failures on the shoulders of Matt, when there is no QB who could succeed given the circumstances and personnel that Matt has had his entire career.  And we are talking about a dude who had a perfect passer rating deep into the superbowl we ended up losing but never actually being behind in points.

quickzero, ATL_666 and PokerSteve like this

6 minutes ago, athell said:

Add in the shiny ornaments he has to have around him to be gud and we break the bank.. You take away Ridley last game and we'd be in bad trouble 

Just now, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Add in the shiny ornaments he has to have around him to be gud and we break the bank.. You take away Ridley last game and we'd be in bad trouble 

Like when Harry Douglas was his #1 and he turned him into a 1,000 yard wr?

You take away any of a QBs weapons and any of them would take a hit.  That does not just apply to Matt.

Rings, hotlanta, Geneaut and 1 other like this

1 minute ago, athell said:

Like when Harry Douglas was his #1 and he turned him into a 1,000 yard wr?

You take away any of a QBs weapons and any of them would take a hit.  That does not just apply to Matt.

Im just thinking about the oline and Dline we could have if money was allocated differently 

Chaz likes this

2 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Again, Ryan has never had a dominant OL.  He has always been under heavy pressure.  Shiny hood ornaments do no good if you can't give them more than 2 seconds to get down the field for a big play.

jay1k2 likes this

Just now, ATL_666 said:

Again, Ryan has never had a dominant OL.  He has always been under heavy pressure.  Shiny hood ornaments do no good if you can't give them more than 2 seconds to get down the field for a big play.

So why does our front office keep doing it? This is a vicious cycle we cant seem to break 

Chaz likes this

Im just thinking about the oline and Dline we could have if money was allocated differently 

You are a fool if you think TD could have taken the 30mill a year Matt Ryan gets and through the draft or FA build either a dominant OL or DL.  You obviously have no clue who our GM is.  Maybe you should look him up.

athell and ⚡Slumerican⚡ like this

I am too, but the other side of it is do we trust TD to pay for a good OL and DL?  Davison was by far his best signing and he was the cheapest option...

I will again point to the Saints as what should be our plan.  Build through the draft, build trenches, run game, solid coaching, defense...Matt would not only do well in that scenario but he would absolutely thrive.  You don't win NFL football games by passing nearly 70% of the time and dropping back 50 times a game.

1 minute ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

So why does our front office keep doing it? This is a vicious cycle we cant seem to break 

Great question, and one your attention should be diverted too vice the QB that is preventing this ship from being at the bottom of the ocean...