Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DirtybyrdGA

Hawks December game thread

377 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, jayu70 said:

We are currently 6-20, same as last season after 26 games.

Win at least 1 of our next 4 games (vs Lakers and Jazz and at Knicks snd Nets) we'll end our first 30 games at 7-23, Same as last season.

Then JC returns. Then the fun finally starts. :D

Damm that’s amazing about the same record.  However I do feel this team is much better once we get all the pieces together!

GEORGIAfan, Drew4719 and jayu70 like this

4 hours ago, Beef said:

I disagree. Nothing wrong with getting 2 more rookies.  This team isn’t supposed to begin hitting its stride until 2021-22, and peaking until 2023 anyway.

We should be hoping for no more than 25 wins and a top-3 pick this year.  Then playoffs next year.  We still have major holes to fill.

My dream is C James Wiseman and SG Cassius Stanley, but I’d also take SG Anthony Edwards and C Vernon Carey Jr in a heartbeat too.

We need to dump Bembry and our expiring contracts as they are just cap space placeholders as is, let Vince retire, extend or trade Parker and Jones, get a real backup PG, and then start locking up our young folks, starting with Collins.  Which is really what our plethora of cap space is really about/for.

PG: Young | ?

SG: Cassius Stanley | Huerter  (or Anthony Edwards)

SF: Hunter | Reddish

PF: Collins | Parker | Fernando

C: James Wiseman | Len | Jones  (or Vernon Carey Jr)

This next draft is so insanely PG heavy that there’s bound to be several vet PG’s we could sign to backup Trae. There’s like 8-10 PG’s predicted to go in the first round this draft. Potentially 5 in the top-10.  And I just don’t see us wasting equity on one in the draft.  Especially when we need a real center who can rim protect, rebound, and score with consistency, as well as another SG/3&D guy so bad.

IMO, you are too focused on lineups/depth charts. My worry is the minutes. We don't have enough minutes and if those rookies struggle like Cam or Trae did, they won't have the luxury to play through it, because we will be in win mode. Cam was lucky we had injuries, so he could get the minutes he did.

If Trae and Collins are getting 35 minutes a night and Hunter, Huerter, and Reddish are getting 30 minutes a night. That leaves only 32 minutes left across 4 positions and most of those minutes will be backing up Trae or Collins. Cam will effectively backup both wing positions.  

Look at Michael Porter Jr. on the Nuggets. Highly touted player who fell only because of injury concerns. Because the Nuggets are making a playoff push and already have a full lineup, he is averaging less than 9 minutes a game. Mo Bamba is in a similar situation in Orlando. 

therawest likes this

5 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

I agree the young core is set but Trae needs a backup.  Jabari has value no doubt but don’t like him long term either.  However Schlenk has been set on building this team through the draft so I can see us adding two more rookies especially if it’s a center and pg.

I think they have to look at backup PG because Trae is logging a lot of minutes.  I haven’t had a chance to research but who is available?

Jeff Teague is available.

We can send Crabbe and a future 2nd.

blkbigdog35, Drew4719 and therawest like this

11 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Huerter is hurt again. I like the kid but man... can he stay healthy for an extended period of time?

Has Heurter played a game this season when he was not on restriction from an injury? Feels like as soon as he is about to be off restriction, he gets hurt again.

I am hoping it isn't serious. Our lineups were just starting to come together. Now Turner and Bembry are coming back into the lineups. :bang:

jayu70, tl;dr, blkbigdog35 and 1 other like this

11 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Has Heurter played a game this season when he was not on restriction from an injury? Feels like as soon as he is about to be off restriction, he gets hurt again.

I am hoping it isn't serious. Our lineups were just starting to come together. Now Turner and Bembry are coming back into the lineups. :bang:

Loyd Pierce’s post game interview made it sound like it was not that bad. Heurter really balances this team.  We need steady minutes for him. 

2 hours ago, therawest said:

Loyd Pierce’s post game interview made it sound like it was not that bad. Heurter really balances this team.  We need steady minutes for him. 

Good! I think a lineup of Trae/Huerter/Hunter/Collins/Jones with Parker as the 6th man can compete with some teams. We have competed in a lot of games this year, but youth has caught up to us 

We are not very good at all without Trae Young. Hunter and Huerter are solid players too, but one is a rookie and one is hurt all the time. 

Vince Carter has been great but man... he stinks right now. Len isn’t very good either and Crabbe has been a disappointment. 

4 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

We are not very good at all without Trae Young. Hunter and Huerter are solid players too, but one is a rookie and one is hurt all the time. 

Vince Carter has been great but man... he stinks right now. Len isn’t very good either and Crabbe has been a disappointment. 

Major growing pains bro!!

13 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Major growing pains bro!!

For real! I think we have too much dead weight on the roster right now. Trae, Huerter, Hunter, Collins and Reddish are the only ones that I want to see on the team for sure next year. Fernando may get there at some point, but if we had to let him go, I could live.

I could also see Parker being a part of a trade package. He’s put up good numbers, but I’m not sure we shouldn’t sell on him when we have the chance 

Well - at least Trae is playing tonight.

This is pathetic.  Getting blown out by another 6 win team is just not acceptable.  0 defense.  I hate to say this, as I really like Lloyd Pierce, but this ain't getting the job done.  He seemingly just can't get these guys to play any defense, and I know they're better at defense than what they're showing.  This team is better than this.

Let's hope that Collins might inject a little fire into their a____s next week when he comes back...

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

I really respect what Vince Carter has done, but he just doesn't have it anymore. He looks lost out there. 

I'm starting to wonder if Pierce does need to go.

What's really frustrating though is that we have seen this team compete with some of the better teams in the league on any given night. Then we have nights like this where we get assaulted by a garbage team. 

Drew4719, Spts1 and jayu70 like this

Our offense entails far too much isolation basketball.  Too much 1 on 1.  Not enough easy buckets from the offensive sets.  Pierce needs to hire coaching help on the offensive side of the ball.

And clearly defense is a 4 letter word