Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DirtybyrdGA

Hawks December game thread

86 posts in this topic

Hawks found a team worst than they are.  Whats wild is the prospect of Golden State getting a high lottery pick and Thompson and Curry back into the lineup...  They would have won championships, got bad and then can get good again while the Hawks...

Drew4719 likes this

10 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I know his offense stinks, but Cam's hustle and defense was nice this game. I really want it to start clicking offensively for him and Hunter. 

It will eventually. Too much talent for both to stay this poor forever. 

Hopefully Collins and Huerter coming back will really help take some pressure off both of them

6 hours ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Just checked the standings ..we 3 games from the 8th spot ...I just need them to win a few until December 19th

Isn’t that crazy?  And we just finished the toughest stretch if games we will face all season. 

Drew4719 and jayu70 like this

31 minutes ago, therawest said:

Isn’t that crazy?  And we just finished the toughest stretch if games we will face all season. 

Yup...like people are talking about lottery picks and don’t even understand we’re not even out of the playoff picture at all

TheTrue7 and Drew4719 like this

On 12/2/2019 at 6:24 PM, DirtybyrdGA said:

12/2 hawks  host  warriors...

Alright Dirty maybe you will bring about a winning month compared to last month thread I started! :lol:

16 hours ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Yup...like people are talking about lottery picks and don’t even understand we’re not even out of the playoff picture at all

It’s the defeatist in them. Too bad their perception of that mindset is that they’re being a “realist”.

On 12/3/2019 at 7:03 PM, blkbigdog35 said:

Alright Dirty maybe you will bring about a winning month compared to last month thread I started! :lol:

We'll see man...

Hawks got two problems.  A selfish core and a coaching staff thats not stopping it.   How you gonna develop young talent around a bunch of veterans and a point guard who dominate the ball?  The Hawks are ranked 21st in team assists.  Thats lower tiered.  What makes it worse is they are ranked only 20th in team scoring.  That means they are not passing the ball AND not scoring. Bad combination. Then, to compound the bad shooting, they are ranked 27th in team rebounding.

The solutions are a rebounding center and another scorer with the talent that can demand the ball and take it out of Young's hands at the rate he has it currently.  The Hawks have the right pieces in Huerter, Hunter and Reddish but they can't develop properly with Young's domination of the ball,  Parker and his Melo 2.0 act and Bembry.  Sign Drummond and either get Huerter healthy ( he can score) or draft another scorer.  Do that and they will turn the corner...

Edited by Spts1

Trae Young is a stud. And Cam showed some stuff tonight too. The tools are there for the team but let’s get some people healthy. 

Right now it’s Trae and a bunch of young guys. Just hope by the ASB we can see the full team with Trae, Huerter, Hunter, Collins, Reddish and Fernando. All healthy 

therawest and Drew4719 like this

Trae can play. There is zero doubt about that.  The problem is he has EMPTY stats.  His scoring and assists do not improve the Hawks offense. The Hawks offense consists of:

1. Trae dribbling into the front court and looking to heave one up.  The other plays stand on the wings and do nothing.

2. Trae picking and rolling to Len, Collins or Jones.

3.  Parker doing a MELO 2.0 impersonation.

I like Pierce but this is not how you develop a offense.  You take these same young players and let Brad Stevens or Bud get ahold of them and see how its night and day.  Brad put Al Horford in that Celtic offense and Horford's game went to another level.  Pierce is very good at the individual development of players, but running a offense, nah. 

Schlenk QnA:

How challenging has it been for you to actually evaluate the progress of this team when you haven’t had John (Collins) and a healthy Kevin (Huerter) for most of it? 

Any time you have two starters out for an extended period of time, it makes it tough. We’ve also had a lot of guys banged up or on a minutes restriction. It makes LP’s job tough managing the minutes and trying to find a consistent rotation every game.

In what ways then have you had to rethink your goals and expectations for this team with all you have experienced? 

Well, our goals and expectations haven’t changed. We’re still in the development stages of our process. As long as our young guys keep getting better — I haven’t watched the second half yet. I downloaded the first half and watched it, but just looking at the box score, and I’ll use Cam as an example. Just seeing flashes like that from him. We’ve seen them from De’Andre (Hunter) where he’ll have two or three really good games in a row, and then he’ll have a lower game. I think we need to just start coming more consistent. I think, all in all, we got spoiled with Trae (Young) in the second half of the season with his consistency. Kevin was consistent in the second half of the season. We have to remember that these young guys didn’t play Summer League, so they’re learning on the fly.

blkbigdog35 and Drew4719 like this

9 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Trae can play. There is zero doubt about that.  The problem is he has EMPTY stats.  His scoring and assists do not improve the Hawks offense. The Hawks offense consists of:

1. Trae dribbling into the front court and looking to heave one up.  The other plays stand on the wings and do nothing.

2. Trae picking and rolling to Len, Collins or Jones.

3.  Parker doing a MELO 2.0 impersonation.

I like Pierce but this is not how you develop a offense.  You take these same young players and let Brad Stevens or Bud get ahold of them and see how its night and day.  Brad put Al Horford in that Celtic offense and Horford's game went to another level.  Pierce is very good at the individual development of players, but running a offense, nah. 

Disagree Fully. 1st the Bud and Stevens teams had a more veteran laden teams, not a team of just very young guys, which we are. Our vets who are supposed to supplement the young guys and they have been straight garbage.

2nd, This team can't even run the offense when Trae's out of the game.  And when he's in the game, most of them can't even make shots when he finds them WIDE OPEN on the perimeter.  

So what is he supposed to do? He's doing what every superstar in the NBA has always done, carry the team offensively when they're struggling.

He's averaging a little over 20 shots a game and is attempting 7 FTs per game.  He's top 5 in the league in drive points and shoots 55% FG on those shots ( which are layups and floaters ).  He's #2 in the league in pull up jumper points ( 11.6 ), with only James Harden having more points ( 13.0 ). He creates 20.3 points off of his assists, 6th in the league.  That could be a lot higher, if people just made a few more shots.  3rd in the league in Adjusted Assists ( 10.6 ), which includes assists leading to FTs and secondary assists ( the hockey assist, as we like to call it ). 

NBA.com also tracks "assist potential", which are basically the assists Trae could have vs the assists that Trae actually gets.

• Assist potential:  15.7 apg
  • Actual assists:  8.4 apg